11' (ish) stitch and glue dinghy build FG layup advice

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Thinking of building a small dinghy and trying to give it some DE lines. Going to try to build it from plywood and glass over it so most will be 1/4" except the hull bottom will probably be 3/8.

Anyone help me with a layup schedule? Or direct me to a source online?

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I have built a couple of stitch and glue boats as well as traditional build. Chesapeake Light Craft have a number of designs that are well thought out but not exactly what you are asking for. You could try Duckworks Duckworks Boat Builders Supply - Home or Small Boats Monthly Current Issue - Small Boats Monthly for some ideas and links to builders. I recently built a very fast and versitle sailing/rowing dingy that was designed by Russel Wilson at Port Townsend Watercraft PT Eleven Nesting Dinghy home page. It comes apart into two pieces and nests to make a small package to store or transport. Very fast boat and easy to build, I spent 400 hours putting it together. 1/4" ply with 4 oz cloth each side, all laid up at once, trimmed with a razor knife and then stitched and glued. Bulkheads were 1/2", same cloth. Fillets and some heavier cloth at key places. If you have not built a boat like this I would strongly suggest building one from a kit first, you will really appreciate the work that went into designing it and THEN you will be able to produce a much nicer custom build. Dynamite Payson and Glen L are the general go-to sources for doing this on your own.

I think what you are looking for is something like this Long Point 15... except a little shorter
The Long Point Boat Plans

Peeler Outboard Power Skiff

Last edited:

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Actually I have my own design in the works- was just looking for a fiberglass layup schedule to work with from someone experienced (Thanks Chortle!).

Will see how it comes out. Built a jig in my shop so I could suspend the chine and sheer and adjust it to what pleased my eye the most. Then measured some molds out from them once I had them the way I wanted them and I am currently waiting for the plywood to arrive. Going to be a combination of stitch and glue with ply on frame and maybe a little strip built up front where I suspect the plywood will not make the curves. At least that is what I think is going to happen but regardless I would like to just be pulling plywood/glass on the forms when the outside is done.

Here is my "free form design method" as I call it. Never seen anyone do this but I knew what I wanted it to look like and didnt want to carve a half hull and scale it up so I did this. Actually took about an hour with scraps and really worked for me (used to working by eye). Will see what the boat turns out like.......:eek: I like the lines but she will be fat (11' x 5') which may not look so good when its done- will see.

I just built half the hull to see the lines but realized that my phone has a mirror camera view so I took a shot with it and completed the boat in the 3rd picture.

Edit to add: that PT11 is a great boat- I will build a nesting boat at some point and its on my short list. Also, the Jessy boat is about as close as I could find but by the time I make it shorter and wider with a higher bow and a little tumble home its a different boat... No one makes a real downeasty dinghy... Mine will row terribly but will usually be powered by an 8 so I dont care.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Last edited:

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Looks like fun. I am sure it will have a "cute" factor, sort of like a Pug. If it is too fat and short you can always build another one and glue the transoms together :) Too bad you can't do that with your mirror image app.

Keelboater

Captain
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
With any luck this will replace my inflatable as the tender for the big boat. Either way it's going to be fun.
Reminds me of "Today, there's gonna be a weddin'.....or a hangin'........but either way we're gonna have fun!"? :D This should be a nice little indoor winter project. Good luck with it! Just don't hang yourself if it turns out all wrong :eek:

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Looks neat, going to be stable as hell. :D
Yes- that is the plan to use as a dinghy.

There arent any lobster(y) looking dinghy plans out there. Closest is the Jericho but its a skiff not a dink. I am excited but its my first build so I expect it to look a little different than the boat in my head. Its too wide but should be fun either way.

Actually the proportions of the hull are similar to this boat without the house- Perfect 10 , Mini Tugboat Plans, Tugboat Plans

Mine will have alittle less freeboard, some tumblehome and flair to the bow rather than plumb topsides so should be a little easier on the eyes not that that is too hard.

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made
Yes- that is the plan to use as a dinghy.

Mine will have alittle less freeboard, some tumblehome and flair to the bow rather than plumb topsides so should be a little easier on the eyes not that that is too hard.

Oh you mean less attitude. :D some of those little tugs look cool, save the one with the flybridge. :eek:

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Yes the bridge looks like a good way to turtle your boat real quick.

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
About 15 hours into it. Planks are plywood that was soaked in hot water to soften up the forward ends then bent onto the molds and are just held in place now temporary with drywall screws. Have to cut the rabbets at the bow and bevel the keel and chine planks for a better fit but it's taken 90% of the shape it will have.

Sheer is yet to be cut to the final line and is a few inches tall (wild) at the transom so it throws the look off but will fix that when its flipped. I'm happy with the bow profile though.

image.jpg

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
The planks get rabbeted top/bottom at the bow so they will all be flush at the stem just not there yet. Really throws off your eye the way it is.

Can't wait to flip it and sort out the sheer. El Mar that is the first pic on DEBF that has been flipped upside down I think. Thanks!