15 amp breaker of main AC panel ok for 1600 btu AC

goin4broke

Captain
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
Assuming you meant 16,000 not 1600 I would say most likely no. The starting in rush would be too high. There should be a nameplate which should confirm voltage/hertz/amps.

cb34

Captain
Assuming you meant 16,000 not 1600 I would say most likely no. The starting in rush would be too high. There should be a nameplate which should confirm voltage/hertz/amps.
For those with AC what size breaker do you have ?

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
I know I moved some to 25 from 20's... they were running at 17 amps on an amp clamp... 20's I had to put to heat to start up... but that was decades ago but fought an issue there... initial kick tripped the 20's sometimes...

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Most 16K BTU units can draw close to 20A when starting up or when the compressor kicks on, although I would really need to know the exact unit. A 25A breaker has seemed to due to thick as mentioned by Shawn above, but what I HIGHLY recommend as we use them on almost every AC system we install, especially older units, are the Dometic 'Soft Start' modules - See this link: Dometic SmartStart III - Soft starter for marine air conditioning, 16
They do so much to help the electrical system from being overloaded, from helping to drop the initial inrush current by literally 50% in almost all cases, which we use predominately to help out the generator's droop factor. Voltage supply drop and even more problematic is when you can bring a generator or power supply from 60Hz to close to 50Hz, which can damage not only the genset and AC unit, but every sensitive AC device from a TV to a fridge. Absolutely worth adding, and will also help you get a better idea of what circuit protection you need. Here's a link to a spec sheet for the prior model, as it's really a simple install and makes all the difference in the world. - https://yachtaidmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Smart-Start-II-Dometic.pdf

Pequod

Boat Make
Shamrock 246 Open
Take a look at the data plate and tell me what the L.R.A (locked rotor amperage is).
That will determine what size breaker is appropriate.

goin4broke

Captain
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
Most 16K BTU units can draw close to 20A when starting up or when the compressor kicks on, although I would really need to know the exact unit. A 25A breaker has seemed to due to thick as mentioned by Shawn above, but what I HIGHLY recommend as we use them on almost every AC system we install, especially older units, are the Dometic 'Soft Start' modules - See this link: Dometic SmartStart III - Soft starter for marine air conditioning, 16
They do so much to help the electrical system from being overloaded, from helping to drop the initial inrush current by literally 50% in almost all cases, which we use predominately to help out the generator's droop factor. Voltage supply drop and even more problematic is when you can bring a generator or power supply from 60Hz to close to 50Hz, which can damage not only the genset and AC unit, but every sensitive AC device from a TV to a fridge. Absolutely worth adding, and will also help you get a better idea of what circuit protection you need. Here's a link to a spec sheet for the prior model, as it's really a simple install and makes all the difference in the world. - https://yachtaidmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Smart-Start-II-Dometic.pdf

Thanks for that info Wharf. Didn't know that sort of thing was even on the market. I do see a lot (almost everything) is soft start today but I only see it on large 3 phase loads.

Top Bottom