2020 BOSTON BOAT SHOW BEGINS!

ThePartsGuy

Website
www.merri-maryachtbasin.com
I am very excited for the next 9 days of fun and excitement at the 2020 BBS! lol....... j/k

So I will be there for all posted hours of the show's schedule. Our booth #617. We have the Yanmar 6LY440 and the 4LV250 plus two sailboat motors a 4JH80 I think and a 3YM30.

Please come save me from the inevitable "No sir, it is not a good idea to repower your 1988 4.3L gas Bayliner with a 250HP diesel engine." " Yes that would be cool, sir." "You are right, it's too bad the engines are not a little more affordable sir" "I agree, there would be a lot of people lining up to do that if they were cheaper." "Have a great afternoon and enjoy the show, sir."

Jay Perrotta will be with us all day Saturday too I believe.

I got my Vitamin C , Vitamin d3, Hand wipes, Halls cough drops, handcuffs, duct tape, zip ties.....

tailhook

Captain
Boat Make
31 JC
Worked the Miami boat show for years.. Whistling gofers "whats that go for" then a whistle!. By Sunday the beers were out and pretty girl coosie handouts began!!!!!

Dslpwr

Captain
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove waiting to be laid up
I am very excited for the next 9 days of fun and excitement at the 2020 BBS! lol....... j/k

So I will be there for all posted hours of the show's schedule. Our booth #617. We have the Yanmar 6LY440 and the 4LV250 plus two sailboat motors a 4JH80 I think and a 3YM30.

Please come save me from the inevitable "No sir, it is not a good idea to repower your 1988 4.3L gas Bayliner with a 250HP diesel engine." " Yes that would be cool, sir." "You are right, it's too bad the engines are not a little more affordable sir" "I agree, there would be a lot of people lining up to do that if they were cheaper." "Have a great afternoon and enjoy the show, sir."

I got my Vitamin C , Vitamin d3, Hand wipes, Halls cough drops, handcuffs, duct tape, zip ties.....
Haha me and Jay where joking about this today! I love there faces when I say the engine package would cost a 100k!

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB

You forgot face masks. Don't shake to many hands !

ThePartsGuy

Website
Well we got through day #1. Not too bad. The crowd felt overall smaller but the show is on a larger foot print so they might have been spread out more. Idk

The entrance you get into the building have changed. So be prepared for a learning curve if you come in. Parking pirates with their hands out early and at the same locations.

They moved rows around and some of us go moved so that will take some time to adjust to. We are in the same general area but just a couple rows over. Across from the men's bathroom entrance........ which leads me to my next question.

Why do people walk out of bathroom and then want to shake your hand? Asking for a friend.

Only had one gas/diesel repower question so far. Of course..... it came from within our forum membership who thought he would be funny. He shall remain nameless! lol

Let day #2 being!

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
How many chinese people want to shake hands? I heard everyone in china town is wearing masks. Wont be going there for lunch.

BOSBoatMan

Captain
Bay Pointe Marina, Savin Hill YC, Milton YC
Boat Make
1992 Nauset Bridgedeck Cummins 6BTA & 1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited with 25 Mercury 4S
such is my strategy for going at 2pm on Monday....should be slow and the beer should be on ice. Should be.
The genuises that run the show decided to only have two beer stations so might be a wish list on that.

In fact, to go to the food court upstairs you are considered by security to be leaving the show. Goddamn joke.

ThePartsGuy

Website
As we enter Day #3 spirits are still high, the black plague has been avoided thus far and the crowd is decent for a Monday.

Another point of interest I would say is if you can find parking off Summer st. near the maim entrance it will save you a shit ton off walking. I forgot my pass and had to come in from the front door..... from the back parking lot..... wasn't happy! lol

Frank Grimes

Captain
I was there, the beers were cold, and only $6.50 a pop! What a bahhhhhgain cappy! But yes there was only 1 bar open and at 3pm on Monday afternoon the line was about 15 people deep. They will be fielding complaints about that, and the apparent lack of food.

PartsGuy I completed spaced on finding the MerriMar booth, in fact I didn't see anybody with diesels on stands. I might be headed back on Saturday and if I do I'll try to stop by. The layout was different and it threw me off a little bit.

I wish we could get a real DE out to the show one of these years, last one I recall seeing was a 31' Eastern JC a few years back, although she was decked out for crooozing. Eastern has the 22' Sisu and a few of their other boats there, which are nice, just small. I completely get that none of the builders want to sacrifice a week away from the shop unless it's for a personal vacation, nor would most if not all of them actually have a finished boat to exhibit. But it'd be pretty great to see a 26' GM, or maybe one of Stewart's smaller boats, in the floorplan. The line to board would be around the corner and up the stairs though.

ThePartsGuy

Website
#5 0f #9. Still kicking. Some more forum members have stopped in to break up the time a little.

Our Celebrity sighting today is Jay Porretta and @Blitzen .

We have an 12-8 schedule all week. Last year was 1-9 and I think the time change may have hurt us a little. People getting out of work, home and feed probably see the 8 o"clock closing as not enough time to get through the show. IDK.

Hoping Fri, Sat and Sun is good. Every year is different and this is yet another different year.

For those counting at home I just finished my 5th 1988 Bayliner gas (Fourwinds, plastic boat, etc..) to diesel conversation. For some reason the numbers never seem to line up for these guys. "My boat's not even worth $8k."

"yes sir I know. You said Bayliner."

Blitzen

Captain
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
Bill,
Nice spending some time with you guys today and letting me know about all the Northern Lights parts you have, I am going to hit you up for a spare parts kit for my 9kw. See you Saturday.

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac
Pontoon boats and wakeboard boats, never seen so many, not that i wanted to. On all the others, some nice, i think i only went on one or two of the bigger boats, thats it.

Renewed BoatUS membership, stopped in some brokerage places looking for options for a friend of mine (one un-named one, two employees talking to each other about shit, me standing next to them with my thumb in you know where, finally i just interrupted them, then when i pointed at a boat pic and asked a question the guy would say "I dint know, thats Bobs, or Joes boat", then nothing, well go get them for christs sake! This only on second day, not fifth or sixth). Goose Hummock had a gigantic spread, Phil really has taken that shop to a new level, spend money to make money. Busiest place was the roll up foam type matt that you floated off your dock or boat to bounce around on. Stopped at a few electronic places to chat, but they are all greek to me when asking to differentiate between brands and models - they all look nice - Garmin, raymarine, furuno, simrad.

Had a great discussion with Bruce Taymore at Boston Yacht. He knew i wasnt looking to buy, but i wanted more education on pods. Spent 30 minutes on history, pro/con of volvo, cummins, etc. For me best part of the show, nice guy, knew his shit, didnt have to talk to a non- buyer, etc

For me good way to break up winter, see some old acquaintances, poke my head into a few booths.