22 Novi Fuel Tank / Deck Rebuild

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by novivin, Nov 5, 2016.

1. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Hi Guys,

Boat is a 2005 22' Novi Outboard 115 Yamaha 2016 engine (repowered this past winter). Boat ran great all summer, through big vacation and on our 1st trip out when we got home I had a slug of gas in the bilge water when I pulled the plug in the driveway. Oh well.

This has taken 2 months, but I took pictures. I am almost done, some interior bilge work and hose connections to make but hopefully that will happen tomorrow. Here is a look at the aluminum tank that failed due to improper installation. Foamed in on bottom and a little water made it into the compartment which was lower than the bilge and had no drain. (don't know these things until it is too late). I fixed that now it has a drain and plug and breathes around the new plastic tank. Deck over and around tank was 100% solid, so just replacing what was removed with a better replacement. The plywood over the tank was just sitting on the tank, no structural supports from stringers. I could feel sloshing fuel in the old tank through the deck, and no wonder why. The 3/4 ply that was glassed on both sides was sitting on top of 6 blobs of thickened poly resin adhered to the tank top and deck underside.

I tried foam core-cell in 3/4 for deck plate which sits atop stringer partners of laminated 1" foam core. All structure was laid up with 1708 and epoxy. Deck plate has 2 layers of 1708 on top, 3 under and received 2 more layers after being taped into place with 6" 1708 mat back tape that was laid into structural fairing and straight epoxy. Top coat was a mix of microballon fairing paste that I rolled over the curing mass with a large resin roller and plastic squeegee. I coated the whole surface with inter protect grey barrier coat mixed with antiskid polymeric compound by interlux. All deck layup was done in one long day this week to capitalize on the no sanding - structural and chemical bond that you can achieve with epoxy. I only used epoxy because I don't have a building that I can control climate in for the whole rig. I wish I did.

The new tank is a moeller 25 gallon and I had 40 gallons beforehand, in a longer shallower shape. This allowed me to add another bulkhead and buoyancy compartment of 24X24X10 deep. Pourable poly foam with a 1708 cap. All bulkheads were tabbed with 1708 mat back 6" tape and bedded with thickened epoxy. Enjoy the pictures of my first big job. I coated the fuel compartment with interlux bilge coat paint.

Boat:

Attached Files:

2. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Build Pics-

Build Pics:

Attached Files:

3. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Finished Deck w/ experimental epoxy nonskid.

Finished deck.

Next pics will be of the anti-spill dam around the fuel cell to keep bilge and rain out of fuel compartment but still let it breathe.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Without this forum, this would have not been possible.

Thanks to all the great DIYers and Pros on this great site.

I spent plenty in materials, but gained confidence and experience through good reading and generous people here helping me be comfortable taking a leap.

5. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    Nice job Novivin! I think you made that structurally more sound now than new. :D

1 person likes this.
  6. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Thanks!

Just like you did, do it once (hopefully) and never have to do it again!

Your rebuild was excellent, also how did you find that keel addition to your boat?

Did it slow speed at all? Did it inhibit turning at cruise speed or during dock maneuvers? I am sure it probably improved tracking since flat bottom DE's with wheelhouses are easily influenced.

How about rolling? Did it slow that at all? Increase stability? I have been thinking about it. I appreciate any help you might have here.

1 person likes this.
  7. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    Thank you for your compliments. My boat is always a work in progress- always trying to improve it. The keel was definitely worth the time/effort. Better tracking and slowed the roll. No change in speed. It can get caught in a strange wake and do a "keel walk". It keeps me on my toes, but better in a following sea. The lifting rails I put on last summer work too well, as they lift the boat out of the water and it cavitates the prop at times. I'm going to cut a 1/2 " off each side to make them 2" wide. If that doesn't work I'll cut another 1/2" off. The lifting rails took almost all roll out of the hull and worth the effort. Next up is a new LED work light on the top and maybe a Sitex radar. They seem like a deal for the new technology. How did it go with the composites?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  8. leaky

leaky Captain

Nice work! It's funny reading this you made an excuse for using the epoxy to keep everyone from jumping all over you.

Did I read that right on the barrier coat for the deck topcoat? You laid that down when the resin was wet and it worked well? Again, if I read that right, is that something others use for a deck coating? Seemed like it'd work just as well as other things just never heard of it being used that way.

Jon

9. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Epoxy topcoat using nonskid and barrier coat interprotect

Epoxy!

Yeah, I have noticed the trend of comments on that.

It is great stuff, for certain situations.

I laid the deck up with tape, 1708 and faired with thickened epoxy first. All that was done in one step.

After that cured 2 days, I sanded, prepped and rolled on the interprotect grey with interlux nonskid mixed in.

I plan to head out bay scalloping soon, so I will let you know how durable 1 coat is. I figure it should hold up well enough until I get to overcoat with poly deck paint to protet it from UV next spring. I may hit it with one more coat of interprotect this week to beef it up some. It did cure with the nonskid in it at least. I was also satisfied with the nonskid feel. I have not slimed it up and walked over it yet, but it felt good in the rain. I was able to find a little chatter on the internet about using this barrier coat system for deck paint.

10. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Nice looking rig Novinit, and great job on the tank rework. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  11. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Thanks!

Thanks Old Mud.

I like that screen name. It is a tuna hole isn't it???

I used to live in Maine, and visit often, wish I never left.

Your comments make me rest easier, as I think you have built a few boats right??? Thanks!

I just wish my rig was a little bigger, maybe just a 1.5 feet wider and 4 feet longer would be perfect. I can live with it for now.