27 tripp angler

Discussion in 'Found Boats For Sale' started by south shore, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:37 AM.

1. south shore

south shore Senior Member

Millwright/Mechanic/Retired
    Boat Make:
    25 Nortern Bay
  2. Samp

Samp Member

Can anyone offer some insight into Tripp? Massachusetts built, maybe. I think there’s a Tripp that designs pretty nice sailboats...

Samp,
  3. Yesac13

Yesac13 Senior Member

Not the same Tripp - Bill Tripp designed many sailboats but was not involved in that Tripp company who primarily made motorboats. Still exists today as a boatyard/marina but out of the boatbuilding business now - I think.

That 27 footer is designed by Royal Lowell. The same boat is also known as the Nauset 27 - a different company built it after Tripp was done with boatbuilding. Also known as a Coaster 27 as well. The mold got around a fair amount, it seems.

4. CaptShip

CaptShip Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Coastal 24
  5. Samp

Samp Member

Ok thanks. That hull looks pretty salty, yet the freeboard looks a bit low for my taste...(but what do I know?) Nauset has a pretty good reputation, from what I’ve gathered...(again, my bad?)

Samp,
  6. CaptShip

CaptShip Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Coastal 24
    As I understand it - the hulls passed from Nauset - Coastal - Tripp - I believe Tripp was the builder in 1995 - give them a call they are very helpful with info

If you search the forum you should find a few threads about them -

From one of the threads reported by Keelboater: "The owner of a 27 Nauset told me that it was fantastic in head sea, rolls a little bit beam to, and gets pushed around a bit in a following sea. But it wasn't nearly bad enough to prevent him from buying a second one that he fished commercially."

Would not surprise me to hear the 27 is a bit rolly - soft chine vs the 24 which is hard chine

7. skyeboat

skyeboat Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Coastal 27
    We have owned a Coastal 27 for four years. Certainly good looking, and generally a good sea boat. As others have mentioned, a bit rolly on the mooring and at slower speeds. However, the flush cockpit and nearly 6’ headroom below make it a very attractive day boat and pocket cruiser, which is how we use ours.