30’Southport

Big Joe

Boat Make
22' Sisu
Hi I’m wondering if anyone out there has info on 30 Southport lobster boat. There’s on that’s local for sale. I like the look of this boat. I Don’t see much information on them. Thanks

toolmaker

Hi I’m wondering if anyone out there has info on 30 Southport lobster boat. There’s on that’s local for sale. I like the look of this boat. I Don’t see much information on them. Thanks

2 years ago I ran the brand new black and white one that Bob Peters of B&D Boats up in Boothbay made for a summer gentleman and it was one of the sweetest boats ever. It has the new 370 YANMAR V8 and was quiet and ultra smooth. Something about the 30 Southports mid ship profile that makes you feel connected to the water. Captain Jay

YankeeClipper

Boat Make
32' Osmond Beal
Is this boat in Wakefield/Narrangansett? If so, I know the boat and owner. It's a nice boat. It has been on and off the market a bit over the last couple years.

I considered it a couple years ago, but decided to get a little bigger boat.

I tried to find the current sales notice but couldn't. If we are talking about the same boat, it's hull #11 built by Southport Island Marine back in 2002. Southport Island Marine || Custom Southport 30

Big Joe

Boat Make
22' Sisu
Yes that’s the boat. It was sold the day I went to look at her. She looked like a really nice boat

Diesel Jerry

Captain
2 years ago I ran the brand new black and white one that Bob Peters of B&D Boats up in Boothbay made for a summer gentleman and it was one of the sweetest boats ever. It has the new 370 YANMAR V8 and was quiet and ultra smooth. Something about the 30 Southports mid ship profile that makes you feel connected to the water. Captain Jay
What was the performance numbers on it? I have a Southport 30 here at the yard and the customer and I are planning a repower in the next 2 to 3 years.

c1steve

Captain
Looks like it would make a good inshore/offshore SF boat, with some added shear.

toolmaker

What was the performance numbers on it? I have a Southport 30 here at the yard and the customer and I are planning a repower in the next 2 to 3 years.
Jerry: are you inquiring about the old Calvin Beal 30 that's called the Southport 30 or the Southport Island Marine Custom 30? I think this thread is talking about two different hulls. The one I ran that Bob Peters up in Booth Bay made was the old Calvin 30 and the boys over at Flowers Boat Shop have the mold and did the lay up or Bob . Anyway it has the 370 YANMAR V8 and we were zipping along at 20 and there was a lot more throttle left but I didn't push her there. Fuel burn I have no clue but I think in fair sea conditions that flat aft skeg bottom would be efficient. Give Bob Peters a call ad say hi for me and have him give you the YANMAR sea trial tech guys name. Captain Jay

c1steve

Captain
What would you like to know? I have done a lot of design work for the builder so I could help you a little on what you need to know.
Bob, what can you tell us about the Southport 30, with 10' beam, built at Southport Island Marine? How well does it track in a seaway? How comfortable is it at sea in a cross swell, etc? Any preformance numbers for us?

Diesel Jerry

Captain
Bob, what can you tell us about the Southport 30, with 10' beam, built at Southport Island Marine? How well does it track in a seaway? How comfortable is it at sea in a cross swell, etc? Any preformance numbers for us?
I have seatrailed a couple. One bass boat finish with a 210 Cummins, and the current one I take care of has a 310 hp Volvo on a v-drive. Very nice riding hull, smooth. Not as efficient as it’s competition (32 Holland or 30 South Shore. I would be happy to take some pics of you like.

Diesel Jerry

Captain
Jerry: are you inquiring about the old Calvin Beal 30 that's called the Southport 30 or the Southport Island Marine Custom 30? I think this thread is talking about two different hulls. The one I ran that Bob Peters up in Booth Bay made was the old Calvin 30 and the boys over at Flowers Boat Shop have the mold and did the lay up or Bob . Anyway it has the 370 YANMAR V8 and we were zipping along at 20 and there was a lot more throttle left but I didn't push her there. Fuel burn I have no clue but I think in fair sea conditions that flat aft skeg bottom would be efficient. Give Bob Peters a call ad say hi for me and have him give you the YANMAR sea trial tech guys name. Captain Jay
The old Calvin Beal 30 is not called the Southport 30, it’s called the South Shore 30. Thanks for that info on the numbers.

Diesel Jerry

Captain
Is this boat in Wakefield/Narrangansett? If so, I know the boat and owner. It's a nice boat. It has been on and off the market a bit over the last couple years.

I considered it a couple years ago, but decided to get a little bigger boat.

I tried to find the current sales notice but couldn't. If we are talking about the same boat, it's hull #11 built by Southport Island Marine back in 2002. Southport Island Marine || Custom Southport 30
So yeah, #12 is the one I take care of now, and #5 is the one I used to take care of.

toolmaker

The old Calvin Beal 30 is not called the Southport 30, it’s called the South Shore 30. Thanks for that info on the numbers.
Diesel Jerry, apologies please you are 110% correct !!!
I am getting old and losing it by the day
I wonder if I will even be able to find the bass this year
This getting old and being forgetful sucks
Did you say once that your dad had a South Shore or is that just more confusion in my head ?
Captain Jay

c1steve

Captain
I read on the Southport website that the boat will not pound. Sometimes DE boats with a very fine entry do not track well in a following sea. At least the Henriques 35' Maine Coaster is like that. A friend has one, and in 12' swells you have to slow down to 8 knots or the boat will broach. It is super comfortable in a head sea, though.

I wonder if the SP 30 has the same problem, tracking in a big following sea.

PatriciaLynn

Boat Make
Repco
12' swells? In a 30' boat? Tracking will be the least of your problems in true 12' waves...
Great boat, but all planing hulls pound if you push them hard enough. Slower hulls are designed differently that faster hulls, plain and simple. Neither is better than the other, just some are better are going slow, some are better at going fast and usually fast hulls are terrible slow!

Last edited:

Diesel Jerry

Captain
I read on the Southport website that the boat will not pound. Sometimes DE boats with a very fine entry do not track well in a following sea. At least the Henriques 35' Maine Coaster is like that. A friend has one, and in 12' swells you have to slow down to 8 knots or the boat will broach. It is super comfortable in a head sea, though.

I wonder if the SP 30 has the same problem, tracking in a big following sea.
The Southport 30 is more of a coastal cruiser. You typically don’t see the in rough seas.

Top Bottom