32 Holland new build getting started soon

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by leaky, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to kill.

2. AW_Holland32

AW_Holland32 Senior Member

6 Cyl Yanmar

Few months too late.. but this would be a nice power plant for your project

leaky likes this.
  3. leaky

leaky Captain

Thanks - you missed the whole Yanmar / US-made blowout a few pages back :).. 5K is dirt cheap, I assume although the hours are low it may be older vintage or something? If it's a Tier III somebody around here really should scoff that up, would save a ton in a new build.

Honestly though really happy putting the modern big block in there, which I bought early on - a good 1.5 years before I got to installing it even. Needed it for sizing purposes, didn't want to trust the diagrams or end up in a jam if they changed something around on me.

Diesel Jerry likes this.
  4. AW_Holland32

AW_Holland32 Senior Member

Yeah the number 5k is probably too good to be true... the nice modern big block with a warranty and a tight little engine box is probably really nice and quiet. Progress looks great

leaky likes this.
  5. leaky

leaky Captain

Ya I've heard them running in your go fast cruisers and at idle you aren't quite sure they are running except the noise from the belt; the big heavy risers they use for the cat's (which are just a cartridge that goes inside of the manifolds) quiet the engines down a lot. Will be dual exhaust & mufflers so similarly should be quiet volume wise but ought to have the nice V8 sound.

Size wise though, they are big gas engines - quite wide actually, and the exhaust has these foot-long mixers they call "tail pipes" that basically go straight back, then require an elbow to bring them down under the deck - some nonsensical thing they do to reduce back pressure, yet on the IO versions they have a pipe going straight down so obviously is an idealistic thing their engineers dreamed up which is not really necessary. The good part about such is that it forces my hand in making lots of extra room..

Although still quite a bit lighter in weight than say a 6.7 cummins or that yanmar above, the 8.2 v8 footprint is about the same because the exhaust on the gas engine goes straight back while the diesel exhaust (at least in some cases like the 6.7 cummins) can elbow straight down and comes off the side of the engine.

To convert to a 6.7 cummins (and I always figured if down the road if I decided I needed a diesel, a 550 HP 6.7 would be the "obvious" choice :) ), the modifications I believe would only be - cut the driveshaft about 16 inches, change engine bracketry, potentially modify the engine box to make it a little taller, with the major difference being the longer diesel displacing space that was previously exhaust; the added weight would basically end up at the aft end so balance would also be sane too.

PatriciaLynn and Diesel Jerry like this.
  6. PatriciaLynn

PatriciaLynn Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Repco
    Obviously!

AW_Holland32 likes this.
  7. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    As much as I love the 8LV. If I were building a 32 Holland I would definitely go with the QSB67 @ 550 hp, then have a “wizard” wave his wand over it!