36 Harris refit in ct

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Blueff62, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Blueff62

Blueff62 Member

Hi , I m doing a repower on this boat I picked up about a year ago. Had an old 3208 natural with a
    1 1/2" shaft I'm putting a QSB 480 Cummins in . Need a bigger shaft 2"
    Anyone have thoughts or tooling to bore out the shaft log ? I have some ideas but just looking for some others that may have done this before . I have a new shaft log Fiberglass tube 3 1/4 od 2 3/4 id. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

Islandlure, Keelboater and El Mar like this.
  2. Genius

Genius Captain

sawzall and a hole saw nested in another hole saw? The inner hole saw would have the same OD as the ID of your present log. The outer hole saw would be 3-1/4. I've never done it, but that's how I would attack it. The new shaft may not be in the same location as the old one depending on how the new engine and gear fit. So....it really doesn't matter how accurate the removal is done.

3. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    I wondered how this project was going the other day.

Did you rebuild the interior?

4. tashmoo2

tashmoo2 Senior Member

HI Blueff62

Is this the hull from Glen in Newtown? Glen said it was going to a new home in Norwalk. I bought bare hull with sport fish top and loose cockpit from Ron Tarr in 1977 and finished hull in CT.

I have a lot of data on the boat. Ron Tarr installed tube and filled keel void with fiberglass resin and sawdust. Have you started to take out old tube? It might be easier to grind/cut it out from inside. The max diameter prop you can swing is around 24 " with current keel depth. What prop and gear reduction will you use?

I am in Ridgefield and happy to help

Best regards,

Ed

5. Drifter

Drifter Member

Just did that with mine. Went from 11/2 to 13/4. Had plenty of room to bore out stuffing box and put different cutlas in stern bearing. Paul at new england machine in deep river did it for me

6. tashmoo2

tashmoo2 Senior Member

Drifter: Do you have a Ron Tar Harris hull? Is your stern bearing in a strut or the keel?

I have a 1 3/4" shaft in my boat. I did not think the cast bronze strut was large enough for a 2 " cutlass bearing or the tube for a 2" shaft would inside the keel. The keel was not filled when I got my boat.
    Does your hull have a full keel all the way aft?

7. Drifter

Drifter Member

No I have a mdi wet keel with a stearn bearing at end of keel, sorry to mislead you. My father had a 36 Harris that he sold to Rick with priority charters in R I. I know he put a cummins c in it and may have had to upgrade his shaft. Might be worth a call to him

8. Drifter

Drifter Member

And yes it was from Ron tarr

9. tashmoo2

tashmoo2 Senior Member

Hi Drifter,

I know your Dad. Howard if boat was the Nancy B with the 6-71N. Good fisherman. He may not know me very well but he knows my boat. There were only 3 or 4 of us in the area with 35 Harris's. Nancy B, Dottie D, Ho0ked up and Tashmoo II. I thought all the 35 Harris hulls had a skeg. Did you or Ron Tarr install the stern bearing?

10. Drifter

Drifter Member

Yes he had the Nancy b . I believe the shaft was installed by Ron tarr. It did have a skeg, my boat the mdi has a stern bearing

11. Blueff62

Blueff62 Member

Hi , yes got this boat from glen in Newtown . I'd certainly be interested in your info . You probably know
    not yet

12. tashmoo2

tashmoo2 Senior Member

you can call 914 316 6418. Leave message if I do not answer

13. johnnywhale

johnnywhale Member

Is this a Harris?

14. tashmoo2

tashmoo2 Senior Member

I do not use Facebook