40’ h & h VS. 36’ bhm

Tuna Hotline

The 36 BHM is a built down hull that will cruise nicely at 14kts. They are not speed demons by any stretch of the imagination. The built down design gives it a great ride in a head-sea. The 40 H&H is a much wider boat, and a skeg built design. It will sit better on the hook, and be a faster boat than the BHM, but it will give up a little bit in terms of head sea ride.

Frank Grimes

Captain
If I were going to buy a skeg boat it would likely be an H&H. If you look at the bow section it carries the V further aft than other Beal or skeg designs before flattening out. I think that provides a better headsea ride than other designs, personally.

blinsquirrel

Some BHM’s push easier than others. I know it’s a tough comparison since all these boats are finished and loaded differently. In my experience the 36 is faster and more efficient compared to the 32 with similar HP. I think the extra wetted surface helps move the boat along. The boat is not designed to be a speed demon, but 16kt cruise is no problem in the 36 BHM. 400rpm off the top and I’m at 16kts loaded to the gills for the canyon with 375hp...you’re not gonna get that out of a 32.

To the original poster...Can’t go wrong wrong with either hull. Find one in your price range that’s set up close to what you want and go for it.

traditions

Captain
Boat Make
38 Holland
I don't buy into the skeg boat faster than a built down. I have too many comparisons with similar power to make the observation.. Either boat would be a good choice. But I can tell you that most 40 foot boats are in a different class than 36, 38 foot old style hulls. I believe its the width and weight difference that is the factor. I can directly compare my 38 Holland to a 36 BHM, and a 38 Calvin. When you get the 15 foot wide boats in the mix, they are way more stable.

Top Bottom