42 Duffy vs 42 Wesmac

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by buckshot, Oct 29, 2011.

1. buckshot

buckshot Member

These boats are similar,looking for opinions on the two?

2. Keels Rock

Keels Rock Member

I think the mussel ridge would be a better comparison to the wesmac interms of the underwater business end of things, the duffy is a soft chine flat in the stern bottom where as the wesmac angles slightly towards the keel. the wesmac is a faster boat but the duffy would probably sit better on the drift, I would kill to have either, but would probably go with the 44 calvin lengthened to a 46 which really compares to the 50 wesmac in my opinion but take less motor to push. A friend up north had the first 47 hh and loved it, had to sell it but is going to build another soon, he loved it and said the 42 does not evan compare to the 47, but I am partial to the Calvins.

3. buckshot

buckshot Member

Thank for the info i will have to check out the 44 calvin beal ,the duffy,wesmac, go into it well i believe,i dont like a boat that pounds!

4. Keels Rock

Keels Rock Member

The 38 calvin is a huge 38 and would compare to a 42 wesmac or duffy and would be cheaper to build, Farrins boatshop in maine has a 38 calvin in the shop with a 675 cummins that is still largeley unfinished and for sale so you might want to check with them, One of the best builders in Maine to boot.

5. buckshot

buckshot Member

Thanks for info,really just seeing whats the latest and greatest in down east boats right now, alway interested in seeing whats out there, thanks again!

6. Super Suck

Super Suck Senior Member

On Deck & on Land
    Boat Make:
    Lasco 5' fiberglass
    With all I hear about Dixon, Wesmac, Beals and 42' Duffy what about the 48' Duffy?

7. richardh

richardh Senior Member

lobsterman
    Boat Make:
    to many
    the 48 duffy is junk they plow a guy i know has one with a 1000hp cat and she only does like 20 knots she is for sale on atherns marine site

8. tashmoo2

tashmoo2 Senior Member

47 h&h

Boat is really beamy. Look at it going down road.

9. Aspiration33

Aspiration33 Member

If you are talking about Derek Feeney, I heard he has his 42' already sold and has his order in for a new 47 H+H! After a year of complaining! LOL

10. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Picture

Here is a shot of a 42 Duffy next to a 42 Wesmac.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      92.8 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      95.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

Nice pic of the Duffy & Wesmac. Both are featured on their builder's respective website in some fashion.

If headsea performance is your thing, you want to take a test spin on any boat designed by anyone named Beal. If you want to go faster than 20kts, that is. If you like a slow boat to China, the wide skeg boats will do just fine.

12. Downeaster

Downeaster Senior Member

Not sure how you determined that the Wesmac is faster than the Duffy. I've attended the lobsterboat races for more than twenty years and I can't recall ever seeing a Wesmac in the winners' circle (as a matter of fact, I recall very few Wesmacs at the races in any role other than spectator boat). I do recall watching a new Duffy 42 show up at the Stonington venue several years ago and crack off a run in the mid-40s (mph, of course). This wasn't a race boat either, she was a working lobsterboat. Maybe one of the mid-coasters can help me out here as she had one of the new series Cats but I just don't recall whether it was the 800 or the 1000 hp (though probably the latter). The boat was the the 'Independence' and she had a mustard yellow hull. I recall her crossing the finish line with her boot top absolutely parallel to the water and the finisher had clearly hit the length-beam-weight-power, sweet spot. The following winter she tore her bottom out on a ledge further down the Bay and I've since lost track of her. I'm certain that her home port was one of the islands - perhaps one of the far islands. Anyone else remember her?

13. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    She was from Vinalhaven and now is on Matinicus.The bottom was stove out and was bought off the insurance company and fixed,I dont think it has the original engine now.There are a few 42 Duffys that are pretty fast,but the true horse power will never be known,

14. Downeaster

Downeaster Senior Member

For those who don't follow the races closely, engine ratings are what the factory said they were, not what shows up on race day. It isn't unusual to see a boat pull up on race day and go about replacing injectors or even pumps. Got some fine, dedicated equipment for those tasks too - like short lengths of garden hose to remove hot injectors (once they're loosened, of course). All this for not much more than a plastic trophy (and a winter's worth of bragging rights).

15. Tumblehome

Tumblehome Senior Member

Yes, DE'r, I remember her. If you can find one of the older Commercial Fisheries News race posters they gave out at the forums, she is sailing in the forground, with the oil tanks of Searsport in the background. I have it hanging in my cube at work, I can give you the year tomorrow. Traditions knows the boat, and where from. One thing I might add, is she would show up with gear, twin massive VHF anntenae, twin radar, and just friggin' sail, a very fast working boat. Fun to watch.

16. richardh

richardh Senior Member

lobsterman
    Boat Make:
    to many
    its the Independence it had a 1000hp cat she would do about 43mph or so

17. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    Heres a picture of that 42 duffy at Friendship Days 5 or 6 years ago

Attached Files:

18. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    Heres a picture of a 42 Wesmac taken from the stern of a 43 Duffy at Boothbay.The Wesmacs are nice boats,but I guess after you pay for the hull and top you dont have much left for big power.

Attached Files:

19. Tumblehome

Tumblehome Senior Member

Great pics Traditions. That's the boat. I see you have SHITPOKE in the background of that first pic, she was fast as well. 36 NB? Good stuff.

20. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    We used to go to alot of boat races years ago when my kids were younger,I took alot of pictures.I tried to upload some videos but I cant get them to load from the desktop.