46' Jarvis Newman Carolina Flare

Discussion in 'Found Boats For Sale' started by Eastporter, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    Toolate and Bill like this.
  2. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    I agree the outside is kinda cool but I think could be a nightmare to re-sell later (this has been on market for a looong time) but its the inside that is the real problem. Maybe for a charter but I cant imagine anyone choosing this over another boat with the same price. Same for lots of these Carolina boats- good curb appeal but inside its wires hanging all over, cheap carpet and used engines and generally rusty mechanicals. I am generalizing I know but seems to be the case.

Engine is a 10 cyl Daewoo rated at 808 hp and pushes this thing to 18kt cruise they say. I was looking because there is another 46 JN for sale that I love but cruise is just too slow for me. Wonder what it rides like at that speed? Built down hull makes me think it rolls....

This one- 1978 Jarvis Newman Jarvis Newman 46 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

LOT more boat but 380 hp gets 10kts so maybe 1000 hp would make go 20? Lol

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  3. Fishbound

Fishbound Member

Have lots of experience with 10 cylinder Daewoo’s, and I am not a fan. There is only 1 Dealer in the entire US for them. They require big service every 1,000 hrs just like the Mans, and parts are super expensive. The company I work for is in the process of pulling their last 10 cylinder Daewoos from the last boat.
    I have been with the Company for 10 years , and have never seen one make it past 5,000 hrs without Some sort of catastrophic failure. That is running the medium duty rating of about 700 hp at a 1800 rpm cruise. We just had a boat go through 4 rebuilds in less then a year.

I always said if I had one of those in a Charter boat I would be Bankrupt. Just my take on the engime

david, Eastporter and Toolate like this.
  4. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Lol, there’s testimony for someone who really knows for once!