Adding Fuel Capacity

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by capecodda, Dec 1, 2019.

1. capecodda

capecodda Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Well the Crowley-Beal 28 started out as a day cruiser and fishing boat 50:50. Over the past few years, it's turned to 80:20, mostly fishing. There's no cure for tuna disease. Badly afflicted.

We repowered a few years back when the 315 HP Yanmar decided to let go an oil line and now have a 6YL400 in it. It cruises at 18 nicely, tops off high 20's, but get's a bit flaky up there as these boats do. Cruises at 18, runs about 8 Gal/Hr.

It has a FG fuel tank right down the center line over the wet keel. The wet keel forms a bump in the middle of the fuel tank forward where the shaft runs through the keel so the tank shape isn't simple. Outside measurements, some estimates, experience underway...the fuel tank is about 75 gals +/-. Stringers on either side of it. Space on port on starboard outside the stringers, but part of this is occupied on port by exhaust.

To run S of MV or East of Chatham to fish is about 3 hours at cruise. We have been loading up a 25 gal fuel bladder, a size chosen so I can get it off deck when we start fishing. I'm done with it, works but it's no fun dealing with it ....PIA especially on a sporty day.

OK, time to bite the bullet and tear up the decks. I'd like to add 50 gallons. I have the room port and/or starboard. The boat currently lists "slightly" to starboard, and barely drains out the back scuppers, so weight aft would be best.

Unwilling to do saddles. Every inch under the wash rails and transom is occupied by gaffs, rod's, live well, harpoon, angler's feet, lee rod holders, and probably something I forgot.

Any and all advice appreciated, especially any of you who have added tankage. Seems to me that these boats really like weight aft, so my thinking is put the tanks as far back as I can.

2. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    My Crowley was built to fish by someone that just wanted max everything so along with the 6CTA it has 2 - 100 gallon tanks. Storage in the center. Not sure how much is usable but never been near empty. The hull can hold a lot of fuel and it seems to like it.

Attached Files:

capecodda and Genius like this.
  3. capecodda

capecodda Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Thanks, that answers a lot of questions right there. Not the weight if I can distribute it right, maybe I'll add more than 50?

4. southshore30

southshore30 Senior Member

firefighter/EMT
    Boat Make:
    Calvin Beal/Southshore 30
    If you aren’t against reconfiguring your exhaust, run it down the middle and do two tanks on either side of the stringers??

5. capecodda

capecodda Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Right idea south, but that nice FG tank, hate to tear something out that's working. That FG tank is built right into the boat, the bottom of it is the bottom of the boat. And I know that one ain't gonna rust. Considering how off balance I'd be if I choose port or starboard, or maybe add 2?

6. southshore30

southshore30 Senior Member

firefighter/EMT
    Boat Make:
    Calvin Beal/Southshore 30
    I hear you on the built in tank. I run two fiberglass and that’s the only way to go for longevity, pretty much good for a lifetime. It doesn’t really get off balance. I switch each trip but there are easy ways to keep it balanced. Really all you need to do is put “pickup tubes” on the returns so the back pressure is equlized from the equal fuel levels on each side. Don’t do a bow tank. You committed to doing a tank below deck or open to above deck in the stern?

7. capecodda

capecodda Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    South, thanks for comments. Yea, weight aft, no bow tank, agreed. All the space under the rails get's filled up with fishing stuff, so I don't want to put tanks there. So it's open deck surgery, like all surgery it ain't cheap, but what can you do?

8. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    My Crowley 28 has a center line aluminum tank that hold 120 gal. Sounds like I got lucky with a happy medium for size. If your configuration is similar to mine, you may be able to install two tanks, port and starboard, of your steering. that's definitely "aft"'

9. capecodda

capecodda Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Erik T, surprised that 120 fits in the middle between the stringers. Maybe your stringers are further apart by on my boat most of the space between them is occupied by the FG tank. I hope to match your fuel capacity soon! None of these CB's appears to be finished the same.

After some doing some math, here's what I think we are going to do. Now, we have a 20 gallon water tank to starboard about mid ship, the 75 gal FG fuel tank in the middle, and exhaust/muffler to port up against the stringer. We are going to add a 50 gallon diesel tank to starboard, where there's the most room without the exhaust in the way as far aft and as close to the center line as possible. We'll remove the 20 gallon water tank to starboard and replace it with 40 gallons of water to port. Again as far aft as possible. Since the water tank will be further from the center line (because of the exhaust system which runs closer to the center line to port), it will weigh a bit less than the fuel, but have more ft-lbs off center. With a little luck she'll sit on her lines.

ErikT likes this.
  10. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    My Crowley is on Cape if you would like to have a look at her tank, exhaust and storage layout below deck before you get out the sawzall.
    PM me if you want to meet up sometime.