Aftercooler service

CaptV

I removed my aftercooler today from my Cummins CTA and I need to get it cleaned and serviced. I live in cape cod and I am looking for a place that will be able to do this for me....I do not want to take it to Niemic. I am looking for other options..

Thanks for the help.

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
No connection but saw an ad for these guys who looked promising.

BillD

Captain
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I removed my aftercooler today from my Cummins CTA and I need to get it cleaned and serviced. I live in cape cod and I am looking for a place that will be able to do this for me....I do not want to take it to Niemic. I am looking for other options..

Thanks for the help.
Whoever does the after cooler service. I suggest they follow the "greasing" instructions on Seaboard Marine's website. Alco MetaLube is the grease of choice :)

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
You can always ship it out to Seaboard Marine for service. I've heard nothing but good things about them. What about Guy Crudele (508-284-8227) down by Gloucester. He is VERY good!!!

BillD

Captain
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
You can always ship it out to Seaboard Marine for service. I've heard nothing but good things about them. What about Guy Crudele (508-284-8227) down by Gloucester. He is VERY good!!!
Seaboard Marine will do it by the video, grease, pressure test and get it back right.
BUT, shipping a 6CTA cooler out to the waterfront in Oxnard Ca and back is a bit of money I'm sure.

I service the coolers myself on my 6BTA 370s and now the QSB 5.9 480 aftercooler.
Fresh water flush setup key.

Jjammer

Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Removing and servicing the aftercooler isnt too bad a DIY. However, if you dont have a pressure tester for the core, farming that part out isnt too pricey. Rogers in Medford charged me $150 to boil it out and pressure test it. I'd cleaned it myself already...but I can live with that price.

cb34

Captain
I don't normally pressure test the cooler after I clean, grease and reassemble.

No need to, using the correct O-ring
If no visible large scale build up just soak in barnacle buster for a week or two

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
You can soak the core in Barnacle Buster but a week is excessive. Put the core in a pan of BB and shake it every hour or so to bring fresh acid into the scale. After a day you will have done everything BB is going to do. Any longer and you are just corroding the metal.

DO NOT put the aluminum shell in BB. After a week in BB you will have a pile of junk. Even a day will significantly damage it. Aluminum is attacked by most acids including BB, Rydlyme, HCl or muriatic acid, etc.

Even though most people can reassemble an after cooler correctly and have no leaks, a pressure test is an added insurance policy.

David

CaptV

thanks for the help guys. I found a guy locally on cape cod to do it.

TCL

Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
After coolers on my 6LY's have a drain on the bottom. For extra reassurance I ran the engines then removed the drain bolts to check for water.

Interesting observation is that at low RPM's the engine was sucking air In To the drain fitting. So if you wanted to blow water or moisture from the after coolers housing you need to increase the RPM's...I'm still not sure at what point my turbos start producing pressure that is above static atmospheric pressure.

Genius

Captain
After coolers on my 6LY's have a drain on the bottom. For extra reassurance I ran the engines then removed the drain bolts to check for water.

Interesting observation is that at low RPM's the engine was sucking air In To the drain fitting. So if you wanted to blow water or moisture from the after coolers housing you need to increase the RPM's...I'm still not sure at what point my turbos start producing pressure that is above static atmospheric pressure.
What LY do you have and any pictures of the drain? Volvo used a pin hole in theirs.