Anchor Lift Ring Size?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Twally5, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:20 PM.

1. Twally5

Twally5 Member

Professional Mariner
    Boat Make:
    26 SISU
    I have some SS and a bender, and would like to make an anchor lifting ring to attach to a polyball for use in deep water. What size rings are you guys using on your set ups? Would there be any benefit to going bigger than the 5 inch diameter that I've seen for sale online?

Attached Files:

2. leaky

leaky Captain

Provided it doesn't cause additional problems (ie makes it weak or if you leave the setup in the water and stop it from sliding up with a lobster buoy on the painter), the bigger the better..

But keep in mind there is tons of stress on these things. I've broken a bunch, bent some beyond repair. The better ones are thicker, bent then welded, and galvanized steel not stainless. If I was going to make them Id shoot for a super duty 3/8 or even 1/2 thick model.

Twally5 likes this.
  3. leaky

leaky Captain

The one in the pic is garbage, looks yachty but easily destroyed.

4. Twally5

Twally5 Member

Professional Mariner
    Boat Make:
    26 SISU

Good heads up man, is anyone on here making these in the larger gauge steel that you mention? With SS having a tendency to be brittle I was counting on some spring in the hoop to cushion the blow a bit. I was originally thinking 1/4" or 5/16" as that's what I have around. Might just pump out a few and give it a shot before buying one.

5. leaky

leaky Captain

Nope, best I've seen were about 5/16 and from new england marine & industrial but it's been awhile since I bought them, and we do occasionally break those - failure mode is the metal snaps in the center of the ring. So we stock extras. Works fine but if I was gonna spend time building one extra tough would be my vision.

The ones I mention were not expensive and they sell the balls at reasonable rates too.

6. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    leaky and Tunatown like this.
  7. leaky

leaky Captain

Ha - never thought of that, you probably don't need an eye on the ring.

Once we broke a ring and in a pinch took a hause pipe off the rail, it worked ok :).. These would be way better, and if you wanted to you could still weld an eye on.

8. restless

restless Captain

Are you using this to pull the anchor where the ring and ball are snapped over your anchor line and run the boat up the anchor line to float the anchor? If so the one in the picture is fine. The line slides freely through the ring with very little strain until it fetches up at the crown of the anchor. Five or six inch dia. if fine. If you're using it as a link between your main anchor line and poly that's another story. Much more stress and twisting in that application.

9. Twally5

Twally5 Member

Professional Mariner
    Boat Make:
    26 SISU
    No doubt this would be more robust and eliminate the failure point!
    If I'm thinking about this correctly, if I went this route I'd have to pass the bitter end of the anchor rode through the hoop as you would loose the ability to "snap onto" one that is already made fast?

10. Twally5

Twally5 Member

Professional Mariner
    Boat Make:
    26 SISU
    Yes I'm looking to haul and float the anchor by attaching the float and ring to the main line/rode.
    Thanks for the confirmation that 5" and 6" would work, I've got a lead on some heavier gauge SS.

11. winterking

winterking Captain

Yes they do Steve, that’s all I ever used in AK. Never broke one. The ring was always on the anchor line, bouy had a 1 foot piece of line spliced to it then a heavy duty carabiner that I just clipped to the ring.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    Twally5 and steveinak like this.
  12. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    Twally5 likes this.
  13. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    you didn't have enough boat to bust one buddy ! I remember seeing some giant sized pear shaped locking rings somewhere just can't remember where. Are you in the sunny south yet ?

14. winterking

winterking Captain

AB50D328-C59C-4813-BD9F-0F8D86CFA651.jpeg
    Lol, guess you have a point! We leave on Monday. How’s this for a hardware store?

15. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    lots of iron in that pile! have a safe trip and good fishing

16. leaky

leaky Captain

On the anchor hardware in general we tend to use stainless chain quick links. Pictured one below is just the first I came across, not any brand or model I buy. Even just for attaching a regular split style anchor ring we use those and not a spring clip, we have a wrench laying around and in between anchor sets the quick link is unthreaded, ring is moved back up to the top, and it's tightend back down. Even non stainless is OK just eventually they can seize.

Conventional anchor shackles are super strong and all that but they have a fatal flaw in that as the anchor shifts around it can be trying to unthread them, so you gotta wire them, which is stupid. A quick link you can simply tighten down and you are good, untighten to open it back up, etc.. etc..

Snap hooks would be fine if they a threaded locking mechanism (like I think the style steveink mentions does) but if they do not, they suck and we've lost the ball a bunch of times, as things thrash around sooner or later they thrash such that they unhook themselves. I'd certainly never trust one without a threaded mechanism on the anchor mainline.

QL.jpg

steveinak likes this.