Anybody know anything about Cape Dory 38?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by cptnpete, Jan 2, 2019.

1. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff/Webbers Cove 40, Forest Johnson Prowler 32 (for sale)
    Apparently they made a handful of 38' commercial boats. I interacted with a gentleman who used to run one as a dragger on another forum (pic below). 38', 13'6" beam, 6' draft, 50000 pound displacement. Full displacement boat so according to him, not a DE. Its hull looks similar to our webbers cove though deeper draft and also a Royal Lowell design so I am just looking to learn more about the design if anyone knows anything. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. sailor of fortune

sailor of fortune Captain

Tug Boat Captain in New York
    Boat Make:
    2 Home made skiffs
    I remember when they came out in the early 80"s. The first one out was "Dory 1". Only a handful were made I believe.

cptnpete likes this.
  3. stumpstalker

stumpstalker Member

Unlike the many otherwise superb fiberglass lobster boats that were unsuitably rigged for dragging, the CD-38 was designed to be a dragger. Built like a tank. Probably should be considered a 10-knot boat, unless you power it up to compress water (which would be very inefficient and expensive on fuel).

I have not seen one or been on one in many years; others may weigh in on how over time they worked out.

Cape Dory yachts in general (sailboats; lobster/sport cruisers) were over-built, too, for their class. A lot glass.

After a nuclear blast and leveling of the general landscape I suspect the few CD-38s that were built will be intact.

cptnpete likes this.
  4. CSFISH

CSFISH Senior Member

Definitely a full displacement boat . I know of one with a 3304 cat and a 4.5:1 reduction . Heavily built and would probably only ever make 10 knots with a fair tide regardless of hp .

cptnpete likes this.
  5. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    I fish around that one daily, definitely needs the outriggers, but plenty able

cptnpete likes this.
  6. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Thanks for the comments. Sounds like a tank, just as the gentleman described. Would love to see some pics if any out there or more info. I tried to look up the guy's former boat on USCG lookup but apparently their software algorithm is also on shutdown.

7. Overkill

Overkill Senior Member

Comm. Fishing
    Boat Make:
    44 Calvin Beal
    IMG_0154.JPG The one pictured above is now the Julie Ann out of Tenants Harbor, Maine. She'll be in Gloucester for the month of April fishing scallops. Berthing at the rail yard.

winterking likes this.
  8. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Thanks, quite the purpose built small ship.

9. stumpstalker

stumpstalker Member

cdt.38.1.jpg View attachment 66394
    Captain Pete:

I found an old brochure and price list. Provide me with your home address and I will send a copy to you via USPS.

I show here a page of it for Forum viewers. View attachment 66394

Standard boat in 1983 was $78,600.

Proposed engine was GM 6V-71, and P.T.O., keel cooler; single 90 amp. alternator subtotaled $26,100. (I think one of these draggers was powered with a 4-cylinder Cat.)

Options list, including cushions in the insulated foc'sle totaled $111,292 .

Shipping and commissioning were extra.

The prices I quote are just for a walk down memory lane. Governments print up colored paper, put numbers on it and call it money.

10. sailor of fortune

sailor of fortune Captain

Tug Boat Captain in New York
    Boat Make:
    2 Home made skiffs
    I remember that marketing brochure but mistakenly thought they were proposing a Volvo of about 100 HP.

11. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    That's awesome you have an old brochure. PM sent with my address. Many thanks!

PS - Their sailboats at the time were a lot more expensive!

12. 8ball

8ball Member

They built five and they were full displacement, originally intended for a 3304 Cat 85-100hp. Mine I believe was the last one built and had the sheer raised, it had a Deutz 1013, [email protected] 2600rpm and turned a 38x33 four blade wheel which was more than enough as you couldn't get it over 9kts if you took it over Niagara Falls. Robinhood Marine in Georgetown, ME still has the molds if someone wants a new one, would make a pisser trawler yacht with plenty of room, mine carried 20,000 in the fish hold. Steaming at 1900rpm, 7kts. she used about 2gal. an hour which wasn't bad for a 50,000 pound boat, great seaboat.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    stumpstalker likes this.
  13. 8ball

8ball Member

My old boat! Tad's not taking it to Gloucester is he?

14. stumpstalker

stumpstalker Member

Someone (old) may come with the details about this. But, there was an incident involving another boat bumping into one of these CDT-38s, while it was maneuvering at the dock in Menemsha Basin.
    There are tricky rotary currents in that harbor and docking can be more difficult than it looks.

Reportedly, the boat maneuvering sustained a few thousands of dollars of damage, with the CDT-38 not having a noticeable mark on her. They were built with a lot of glass, and they had a solid-looking set of synthetic rub rails.

Genius likes this.
  15. 8ball

8ball Member

Mine had oak door guards and after expressing my reservations about swing room on my mooring to the harbormaster, who assured me there was plenty the stern of my boat wiped out the last three feet of the sailboat next to me, I couldn't find a mark on mine.

Genius, stumpstalker and BOSBoatMan like this.
  16. stumpstalker

stumpstalker Member

Interesting idea 8ball has about one of these hulls being considered for a Trawler Yacht. Most of those boats are kind of misnamed; they bear little relationship to actual trawlers, other than being slow and having a stodgy above sea-level profile. “Trawler yachts” -- the Oriental ones anyway -- ordinarily have very little under them -- relatively shallow draft and look more like skiffs below the water-line.

My literature says that the CDT-38 had a draft of 5 ft 8 inch. And, in a 38-foot boat.

What I don’t have is the promotional photo that they used to publish of one of them at Robinhood Marina. It had two huge granite blocks laying on the deck, with the weight of them noted.

One can only wonder where those blocks went from there. Maybe a breakwater.

cdt.38.4.jpg

winterking and Genius like this.
  17. Overkill

Overkill Senior Member

Comm. Fishing
    Boat Make:
    44 Calvin Beal
    Yes, She will be there before the April 1st opening of the Federal scallop season. This will be the third year she's been there. Tad doesn't run her much, his step son has her most of the time.

8ball likes this.
  18. 8ball

8ball Member

Tad's having too much fun out on Matinicus I would think.

19. John Hobby

John Hobby Member

Carpneter
    Boat Make:
    2000 Eastern 2710
    Hey man,

I had a Cape Dory 28, brick [email protected] house. Great made boats, way over the top. Robinhood Marine in Georgetown ME was the last home for the owner, Andy Vavelotis ( not sure on spelling ) If you call ask for Gordon Reed. He worked for Cape Dory and Andy is still alive and retired and may be able to get you in contact or at least help ya out. Good luck, John