awlgrip job

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by moetuna, Apr 9, 2019.

1. c1steve

c1steve Senior Member

As to double prime, you can also spray one several coats of Awlgrip, and then the low spots/high spots will be move visible. A little more prep work, and then spray the hull with more topcoat, and the topsides come out looking super. If you can shine a light along the hull, as the sun is going down, the low and high spots will be much more obvious than when viewing in regular daylight.

2. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

WOW ! That is absolutely gorgeous . Its the same color as my Jason . Worth every penny from what I can see .

Utmao likes this.
  3. Utmao

Utmao Member

merchant marine
    Boat Make:
    Terry Jason
    Thanks, the awlgrip color is jade mist green.I spend 2 full days buffing it every year, those 2 days will be spent fishing this year. With the body work to take out some blistering, blemishes and cracks on the quarter rails it was about 15k. So for your 28 you should definitely be able to get it done right for under 10k. I thought about doing it myself but the hardest part is finding a garage big enough and keeping out all the contaminants. Jeff at glasstech has an air filtration system in his garage as well as a floor cleaning machine. He was pretty surgical about it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    moetuna likes this.
  4. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    A1346050-21AC-48EE-A7A4-2A1D0DFBA419.jpeg 97A9B38E-A4AB-4370-9DF0-BCC813403F73.jpeg 64B38329-8FF6-4F4C-AA7A-4FFFA6E0ED25.jpeg
    Just a taste of what the Strouts Point AwlGrip tech can do.

5. Pacific Islander

Pacific Islander Member

$10-12g's is high for just the hull. If the hull is in good shape and doesn't need a lot of filling and faring, materials should be around $600. You can spend a fortune on labor in the yard for someone to push a sander around for $120/hr but if you did it yourself with a little guidance you could have a very nice paint job for under $2k.

Genius likes this.
  6. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Were do you get the $120 an hour figure?
    Don’t forget the taping and masking time? Also most people don’t have a shop that is equipped to do such a task.

BOSBoatMan and Utmao like this.
  7. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    My vote is still for DIY with International Perfection, you will save a bunch of money and have the satisfaction. The one job I did with AwlGrip did not hold its' shine well at all (maybe b/c it was Navy Blue) The example above is full or waves and ripples in the hull which were not faired out in the prep stage which maybe never showed when it was gelcoat; but as soon as you apply a "wet look" paint, especially a dark color, there they are.

Genius likes this.
  8. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    It's easy to remove ripples in the finish. Just launch the boat and let the water motion do the rest.;)

Genius and Utmao like this.
  9. Genius

Genius Captain

all the imperfections disappear once it is on the mooring:D

tailhook and SYo like this.
  10. Pacific Islander

Pacific Islander Member

Hull is the easiest and fastest part of the whole boat to paint. Cost about $20 and hour at the most to mask caprail and waterline, a bootstripe takes a little longer.
    If you have more money than time then having a yard do it is for sure the best but a very expensive option. Good luck whichever way you go!

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

11. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Wow....way higher than what we charge. Across the board.

12. Backnaction

Backnaction Senior Member

Who did yours? I’ve been toying with the idea of adding some color. If you wouldn’t mind a pm with info. I’m in ma too. Thanks and she looks great!

13. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    any chance on a decently faded great condition hull, that the imperfections seen in the "dark shiny wet look" of an Awlgrip paint job could be the "imperfections" in the mold ?

14. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale
    I painted my 28 BHM this spring.
    545 Awlgrip primer
    Gray AwlCraft paint to hull
    White Awlcraft spray & qtr rails
    Red Awlcraft boot stripe

Materials were primer, paint, converters, hardeners, tape, masking paper, sand paper ect.... north of a grand
    Labor, I had easily 150 hrs but prep was probably 100+ of those hrs in body work, sanding hull, spot priming repairs, sanding spot primed areas, priming whole hull 4 coats, sanding primer for paint.
    The actual spray time is not that much but this stuff can’t be laid down in heavy coats and flash time between coats is critical.
    I took 6-7 hrs laying down 4 coats of color in a pretty controlled heated environment.
    If you’re not working in a controlled environment with 70+ degrees the stuff will take forever to set up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  15. leaky

leaky Captain

I love the roll and tip DIY method and would chose that myself, even on my new boat if I wanted paint/color... in all practical terms if you use good paint and apply it well you gotta be within 3 feet of the hull looking for problems to see the difference, and in some sense faint brush marks kinda help hide normal imperfections that happen if the boat is actually used at all..

But anyone who is buffing their boat 2x a season :) is probably gonna have a real eye for it or be in the habit of staring at the hull from 6 inches away and will see the worth of a 10k paint job. I certainly don't but they will.

The biggest killer I see is getting a sound environment free of any breeze driven containment- with a boat its very hard to have such clean space it can fit into, if you are going to go the whole route a real shop with airtight indoor space is gonna do a better job.

moetuna and Genius like this.
  16. c1steve

c1steve Senior Member

If you paint outside, do it early in the morning before any breeze develops. Use a hose to fully wet the ground and anywhere nearby, so that dust does not become airborne. I have painted several boats out of doors, and dust was not a problem. As the hull is vertical, this help a lot. Roll and tip would be best, but I have tried that and not been successful.

If you did all the prep work, you could probably hire a professional boat painter to apply the finish. The work would come out looking good, and you would learn from the pro.

Genius likes this.