bait reel

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by baitnh, Mar 19, 2017.

1. baitnh

baitnh Member

looking for a new bait rod and reel any suggestions ?

2. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Baiter a Sabiki rod with a shimano line counter reel works great.

JasonD likes this.
  3. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    I also like the line counter reels, using Diawa now, high speed gear box a must. 6:1

4. baitnh

baitnh Member

I had been using a Saltist only lasted one season I do want a 6-1 or better ratio

5. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    I'm using the Diawa accudepth ADP57LCB, 6.1 , also have one of the smaller ones, the 27 I think.

6. fishfull thinker

fishfull thinker Member

Electrical Contractor
    Boat Make:
    Wellcraft Coastal 2800
  7. Tunatown

Tunatown Captain

Lineman
    Boat Make:
    36 H&H CAT 3126B 420hp
    Shimano torium reel with color depth finder line braid by daiwa or power pro great set up and low maintenance the line color changes at different depths helps stay on the bait or tell other people on the boat where your getting them

NightBite and Downrigga like this.
  8. Billyclub

Billyclub Senior Member

Im done buying sabiki bait rods. I had two last year that the butts were twisting on the reel seat. Im going with a ugly stick 8' medium tip casting rod and a line counter reel

9. SemperFishBoston

SemperFishBoston Senior Member

Fireman
    Boat Make:
    AJ26 Duffy
    Check out the EatMyTackle sabiki rod on amazon. $50 each and I've had a pair of them for about 4 maybe 5 years now and no complaints what so ever. I have a Penn 3/0 on one and an Avet sx narrow on the other.

10. leaky

leaky Captain

With the amount of time you spend with the reel in your hand some days when it's hard to catch, what you want is a good quality/featured reel and comfortable rod that makes the job easier.

For shallow water stuff, top 30 ft of the water column when you might want to cast, like for macks, spinning reels are the best obviously - take your pick on the reels but a penn spinfisher V is probably what I'd be looking at, something good and sturdy that's going to survive being dropped and kicked around, will last sitting in a rocket launcher with the sabiki on it in the weather, and is repairable etc.. etc..

For deep water stuff I like a good fast well featured compact "cod" reel - Penn Fathom FTH25LDN2 is what I'm using mostly. It's a narrow small 2 speed lever drag, nice and light/compact, with a very fast gear ratio and comfortable handle - really a dream for hauling critters off the bottom, spool that with 30 lb spectra and you are matched for one herring at a time, haddock fishing all day, or slob cod (if you can find one now days).. The retail is kinda pricey @ $250 but reality is you can find them online for < $200.

I like bass pro rods for the $$ and availability - just go in and find something that matches your specs. They also sell you a warranty on their stuff if you want which works out great if you buy a few of the same rods at a time - buy 1 warranty and it covers the set :).. The Brawler series spinning rods are an outstanding value at like $40 - perfect action and great components, lots of options for conventional rods, better off just going through the racks and feeling each out to see what you like.

[​IMG]

Jon

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  11. leaky

leaky Captain

Another option worth mentioning are small electric reels - you need to be setup for them in the boat but it's a dream when you see the rod tip bounce and can just turn the reel on and go back to whatever you were doing, takes the pain right out of it when you have to sort through 10 undesirable baits before you get that whiting or herring. We aren't setup for it on the boats I fish on lately, so it's all manual for us, but the guy I used to fish with was the standard bait setup.

12. leaky

leaky Captain

I had a discount on Ebay that was a use it or lose it sort of thing, didn't want to spend a bunch of $$ so bid on this new-in-the-box Penn Squall 25N, ended up doing good in the auction and got to use my discount on top of it.

I haven't tried it yet but feels very similar to the Fathom, just is a star drag, and these are much cheaper - all over Ebay new for about $100. Seem like a fairly ideal bait reel, the right size and quick ratio to come up from the bottom.
    sq3.jpg sq1.jpg

sq2.jpg

13. FV_TNT

FV_TNT Member

Boat Make:
    34' Master Marine
    Whats your feedback 2.5yrs later?
    Or anyone else have any input on a new bait rod/reel set up?

14. leaky

leaky Captain

Works tip top, no issues, great reel for the $$ but of course I prefer my fathom 25 2-speed lever drag, which is what's been catching our bait last few days. Spun with 30 lb spectra and a bit of mono on top for a little stretch, with this ugly stick, tiger model with the one piece stainless guides, it is really sweet.

20190910_105012.jpg

FV_TNT likes this.
  15. Korriban

Korriban Member

Accurate reel BV600NN, 53" per crank with a shimano game type slow jig (300g). No hesitation.