Captain
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac

Genius

Captain
Should be charging 13.8 to 14.2 VDC. I'm not a alternator guru but you have some thing going on with your voltage regulator or alternator. If you post a picture of the back of it with the connections, I might be able to better understand. If it isn't getting a field voltage, it won't charge. Easiest thing to check is the output wire which typically goes to the starter lug with the main wire from the battery. Fuses in line, IDK.

Pequod

Boat Make
Shamrock 246 Open
I believe you have a "Klixon" breaker wired in the alternator output located adjacent to the alternator.
These are notorious for heat related failure.

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac

TCL

Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
I had a similar problem last spring, no generator output. So I removed it and took it to a shop to be bench tested...they said it tested good, so I reinstalled the unit and yes it has worked fine ever since. Evidently something was not making contact?

Soooo, my suggestion tap the generator housing with a hammer. You just never know.

PS, this sometimes works on starter motors also.

TCL

Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
I believe you have a "Klixon" breaker wired in the alternator output located adjacent to the alternator.
These are notorious for heat related failure.
I believe that I have a Klixon breaker on my Port (but not Starbord) engine....Question if the breaker either trips or fails will that in turn fry your voltage regulator?

Brooksie

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I believe that I have a Klixon breaker on my Port (but not Starbord) engine....Question if the breaker either trips or fails will that in turn fry your voltage regulator?
I think it will. If it is like the one on my sons boat.you will need new diodes installed..

Pequod

Boat Make
Shamrock 246 Open
My experience has been that the failed Klixon breaker allows voltage but zero current flow.
I would suggest if one engine has it, both do.
Try jumping it out.

Downrigga

Captain
Boat Make
36' NB
Did you load test your batteries? They could have been damaged over the winter. Also put a volt meter on the alt white the engine is running and see if its putting out 12 volts.

leaky

Captain
Do t think so, it’s pretty tight. Still have to test with volt meter
Having a volt gauge either on each circuit or each battery is pretty helpful in getting a general health check, only talking like $25/gauge. Also any of your electronics should have the same available to display.

Top Bottom