Battery Cable 4/0

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Why would I not use this for battery cable? Seems half the price of Ancor wire. Granted I cant access my PortSupply in Korea right now... boat planning projects for when I get home.

Yes I tried searching but didnt come up with anything good...

My house panel for decades was welding cable.

I am sure there are better deals, swear I just saw 25' for $90.

https://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Flexib...s=4/0+red+battery+cable&qid=1577627054&sr=8-3

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
Welding cable is not tinned. In a marine environment you need tinned wire to limit corrosion. And on a related issue, welding cable is very flexible because it is made with smaller strands than marine cable. But the smaller strands corrode faster because there is much more surface area available.

David

Duke

Boat Make
Dyer 29
Ancor cable is tinned which will help prevent corrosion, if that's a concern.

Brooksie

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
All above is correct but I used welding wire (blue) as battery cable 40years ago when I first wired my boat. It is not corroded and works as good as the day it was installed. The extra fine strands make it even easier to work with. Of course don't run it where it going to lay in water.

Dslpwr

Captain
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove waiting to be laid up
Shawn, as you know there are "best practices" and there is reality. Of course that cable will work, and last plenty long as Brooksie said. I've used cable like that for a bunch of my stuff, and will continue to do so. Go for it.
You guys are animals! How is anchor suppose to stay in business?

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
You guys are animals! How is anchor suppose to stay in business?
There are hundreds of wire connections on a boat. All it takes is one connection to corrode and go bad to cause you grief whether it is a high current battery wire or a small instrument wire. You will pay more or waste more of your time in chasing down that bad connection than the premium that tinned marine wire costs.

David

Genius

Captain
I’ve seen my share of tinned wire crimps go bad. Tony Athens has some realistic solutions addressing the corrosion concerns.

Dslpwr

Captain
Boat Make
There are hundreds of wire connections on a boat. All it takes is one connection to corrode and go bad to cause you grief whether it is a high current battery wire or a small instrument wire. You will pay more or waste more of your time in chasing down that bad connection than the premium that tinned marine wire costs.

David
I was being sarcastic, I have about 20k in tinned wire and anchor products sitting in my shop. Comment was for wound up.

leaky

Captain
There are a pair of 13 liter diesels, in the bilge of an ill maintained wet wooden boat, which we crimped poorly in a pinch for time 5+ years ago (my crimper would not fit and we used a smash crimper), they have been turning over just fine with ebay 4/0 welding cable ever since..

Get hydraulic crimpers that fit right, use tinned lugs that fit right, use a little of the connection increasing paste in there if you have some, seal the opening of the lugs off nice and you will have an outstanding battery cable with no loss that lasts a very long time.

Tinned wire is nice but not needed or even helpful if it's high quality and well sealed, which is the case with well done welding cable.

CEShawn

Captain
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Was hoping someone had a killer price somewhere! I run my battery cables straight up to the overhead, then have the switch there when I can, I want to do that here. I have over 10 year old welding cables for the house battery and thinking of doing that for my starting battery with correct connections and di-electric grease, maybe even shrink wrap them a little bit too. If its not open, what does it matter... I do know we have that yellow amber crap on ships that comes out of shipyards, wish I knew exactly what that was to get.

Dslpwr

Captain
Boat Make
Was hoping someone had a killer price somewhere! I run my battery cables straight up to the overhead, then have the switch there when I can, I want to do that here. I have over 10 year old welding cables for the house battery and thinking of doing that for my starting battery with correct connections and di-electric grease, maybe even shrink wrap them a little bit too. If its not open, what does it matter... I do know we have that yellow amber crap on ships that comes out of shipyards, wish I knew exactly what that was to get.
Shawn
To save on using so much cable keep the runs short by using remote battery switch. They can be turned on manually also 8F332208-EC8B-4D52-A84A-EE832ABE87ED.jpeg

leaky

Captain
Blue sea is top notch stuff - even their support is extremely good, have called them a couple times with an issue and they just shipped me a new item.

On the combiners/ACR's/battery-switches, the model he has there also have the manual switches, which is what you want (for nothing else backup or trouble-shooting).. There are other models exactly the same but they only have the remote switches.

Pequod

Boat Make
Shamrock 246 Open
The only yacht I consistently have seen non-tinned wire has been Ocean Yachts.
Also, new ABYC wiring standards require remote battery switches on new builds.
It's a nice upgrade though!

c1steve

Captain
Welding cable is fine as long as the ends are fully sealed. For installing windlasses, we usually use welding cable as the rubber jacket is more flexible than a plastic jacket. It takes tighter turns. Also saves a lot of money when you are installing 125' of cable.

Top Bottom