Best water and waste tank opinions

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by CaptainHinckley, Apr 25, 2018.

1. CaptainHinckley

CaptainHinckley Senior Member

Agriculture, Horticulture
    Boat Make:
    1998 29' Sea Ray 1980 Bruno Stillman 35
    What are you all using for your potable water, grey and waste water tankage?
    I'm assuming plastic is most prevalent, other options? What brands and sizing would you consider best or appropriate for a mid size cruiser?

2. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Plastic is fine for water and I prefer fiberglass for waste, as odor will permeate the plastic tanks over time. Also make the waste tank twice the size you think you will need.

Kodiakan likes this.
  3. Genius

Genius Captain

Grey water is a RV thing, never seen it in a boat. I believe it can go right overboard far as I know. I have plastic and aluminum water tanks. I cannot recommend aluminum for a water tank, issues with chlorination. I believe plastic is the standard black water tank and it being the most popular. I do like non integral fiberglass tanks for water,fuel, and black water....but only have the experience with the fuel tank.

4. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Although there is room for added water tanks, getting them in place might be the biggest challenge. That may dictate any new tank sizes you have in mind, providing you are thinking of adding additional capacity. I'm not a big fan of bladder tanks but they do serve their purpose.

Genius likes this.
  5. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    I prefer plastic tanks for water and waste. No need for grey water unless your headed to Europe or fresh water lakes and rivers.
    I'm the past I have used Sullivan Plastics, but before I got to this yard they used a place called Triple M plastics in Kennebunk. Both places build a great tank.

Sullivan Plastic, Plastic Welding, Plastic fabrication, HDPE
    Triple 'M' Plastics

6. 28 Seaworthy BHM

28 Seaworthy BHM Member

Boat Make:
    28 Seaworthy BHM
    Great people and products at Triple M plastics and they stand rock solid behind their products. My fuel tanks were made by them. When my port tank developed a small leak after over 10 years I called Steve (Mudhake) who built my boat and he put me in contact with them. They sent a Tech from Kennebunk all the way to eastern Long Island to repair my tank at no charge. I gladly would have paid and offered for this service but they said NO they stand behind their products. Says something in this day and age.

7. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Holding tank size is subjective- 2 people for a weekend maybe 25 gallons would be comfortable for me. There is usually an easy pump out option just about every where you go it just depends on if you want to take the time or have the time to deal with it. Nice to have a couple extra days of capacity for the unexpected.

Hallelujah Newman 36 likes this.
  8. CaptainHinckley

CaptainHinckley Senior Member

Agriculture, Horticulture
    Boat Make:
    1998 29' Sea Ray 1980 Bruno Stillman 35
    Thanks for the insights. We had no idea we could get custom tanks in our back yard! We had been thinking of the branded products like Todd or Moeller.
    Our last boat had 28 gal. of fresh water and 28 gal of waste in the vacuflush system. Found we were on the edge of empty often with the water wishing we had 10 more gal. With the efficient vacuum system, 28 gal. would be good for several days. Of course the system was connected to the freshwater tank. This new tank will be connected to a seacock water electric head so it won’t be using valuable potable water but I’m assuming it will use a little more water to flush but no experience.
    Consideration to how best to install will be next step so custom tanks could be a good option.

9. Yesac13

Yesac13 Senior Member

Consider a composting head. Yes, they are on the rise big time. Not that common at this moment but I've seen many move on to them - more in sailboats vs powerboats. No holding tank to pump out. Other than one hose for venting, no other hoses or seacocks to deal with. But you do have to pee and shit separately and the pee tank needs to be drained almost daily when in use. It's a different approach which takes time to get used to. Turds get dried out and you just scoop it out and toss in the trash bag, the pee is the more work part. I suspect it will kill off the traditional head system due to simplicity. RVs are moving this way, too... these RVers also tired of issues with holding tanks and so on. You do gain more space with no holding tank though for DEs this is less of an issue because usually out of the way. It's a major space gain for sailboats.

The really long term live-aboards on sailing boats... the ones who actually use the head daily continuously... a surprising number have gone on to composting heads. Almost all who try composting heads never go back to traditional. Almost all say the composting head smells less. They're the hard core beta testers so this trend of composting heads is legit.

JimRP31 likes this.
  10. Genius

Genius Captain

I'd rather shit in a 5 gallon bucket.

Downrigga, Tunatown and El Mar like this.
  11. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    26 Duffy, 14 Holland
    You'll have to put a lid and a lock on the bucket to remain complaint within 3 miles :D:rolleyes:

Genius likes this.
  12. Genius

Genius Captain

yeah, sounds like the composting toilet doesn't it.

13. TCL

TCL Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
    How much potable water do you need? I have 2 x 25 gallon and 1-50 gallon tank. With 6-8 people on the boat swimming and using the transom shower 100 gallons is plenty, and usually I just fill the 50 gallon tank in an effort to save on weight.
    Also with multiple tanks you have to figure out valves and plumbing to hook into your fresh water system, this is one area where Sabre dropped the ball, on my boat tank management requires that you move people open hatches the open/close valves. PIA!

TCL,
  14. Yesac13

Yesac13 Senior Member

You're welcome to use the bucket. Defintely the most reliable head of all! I just wanted to offer up something else as a consideration. The orginal poster probably won't be interested but just wanted him to be aware of an alternative.

15. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    If I'm going to scoop anything out of a box, I'm going this route............and no need to separate deposits.:D

litter box.jpg

Blitzen and Genius like this.
  16. Genius

Genius Captain

Hilarious......:D

17. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    That's funny Vin.

18. chortle

chortle Captain

retired
    Boat Make:
    Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
    This new tank will be connected to a seacock water electric head so it won’t be using valuable potable water

I would strongly encourage you to install a dedicated fresh water tank for water to flush your head. The number one source of a foul smell in a boat can be from a head with fresh seawater left sitting in the bowl for a week in the summer. It will go septic from all of the micro marine life in the seawater and stinks to high heaven. Fresh water from a dedicated tank will not do this.

19. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Downy fabric softener works better than any deodorizing product out there. You can use salt water all day long just dump a half a cup of downy with your turd.
    I highly recommend Vetus sanitation hose. Don't use PVC hose if you are going to be "non-toxing" the system every spring.
    Capt Hinckley, I have designed, replaced repaired more black water systems than I care to remember. Call, email, swing by the yard. Hell swing by the house some Sunday. I would be happy to help.

20. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff/Webbers Cove 40, Forest Johnson Prowler 32 (for sale)
    Our family had many years of success with simple manual raw water head with plastic holding tank with y valves to manually pump overboard offshore direct from head and separately from tank or pump tank out through deck fitting.

Having the holding tank outside of the cabin in a locker was better than other boats we have been on where holding tanks were located under cabin furniture where you just couldn't shake the odor. Good clear venting key in all cases. Raw water with whatever marine life gets in sitting in the toilet did smell if left while away from the boat.

Prior owner of our new to us boat had replaced the systems in both heads with raw water 12v Raritan Crown heads connected to lectrasan systems with integral holding tanks for no discharge zones. The treatment process requires salt water to do their magic which apparently results in clean waste water discharged where legal. We are still trying to figure out how theses systems work...