BFT Closure??

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by bluefin650, Jul 27, 2017.

1. boot

boot Member

You been fishing this year?I haven't seen you out and about.I brought Keith out on the boat Monday and we wacked a nice 96".Been getting a fish everyday this week out in the bay.

boot,
  2. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Its been the same problem forever in this fishery and boils down to one thing, quota. As we all know there is not enough of it. The days of Boston bluefin solely commanding the big prices is over. Every rat hole country is either farming them or has there own wild caught fishery or both which most all end up in Japan. As I see it the best chance to make money with Bluefin is to either fish for them when the exchange rate is more favorable or catch more fish when the price is bad. Fishing in the fall has rarely guaranteed a better price.
    For the record, when we were at 4 a day the rate of catch was less than when it was reduced to two a day. Food for thought. Rules are only for those that will follow them if you know what I mean.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Stickman likes this.
  3. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

So we got 156ish mt when it reopens or this in addition to what's left after they tally Sept?

Adjustment of the 2017 Bluefin Tuna Reserve Category Quota

The total 2016 bluefin tuna catch was 1,025.10 mt. This total catch includes landings and dead discards. The total catch of 1,025.10 mt is 167.07 mt less than the 2016 adjusted quota of 1,083.79 mt. Thus, the underharvest for 2016 is 167.07 mt. Per ICCAT Recommendation 16-08, only 10 percent of the total 2016 U.S. quota, or 108.38 mt, of that underharvest may be carried forward to the 2017 fishing year, resulting in a 2017 adjusted quota of 1,192.17 mt (baseline quota of 1,083.79 mt + underharvest carryover of 108.38 mt). The codified Reserve category quota is 24.8 mt. Consistent with the process established in Amendment 7, NMFS augments the Reserve category quota with 108.38 mt in this action. Effective February 28, 2017, NMFS adjusted the Reserve category quota for 2017 to 118 mt ww by reallocating 138.2 mt ww of Purse Seine quota to the Reserve category (based on 2016 catch by Purse Seine category participants) and also transferring 45 mt ww of Reserve category quota to the Longline category (82 FR 12296, March 2, 2017). Effective March 2, 2017, NMFS transferred 40 mt ww from the Reserve to the General category (82 FR 12747, March 7, 2017). Additionally, effective August 11, 2017, NMFS transferred an additional 30 mt from the Reserve to the Harpoon category (82 FR 38853, August 16, 2017). Thus, as of September 18, 2017, the adjusted 2017 bluefin tuna Reserve category quota would be 156.38 mt (24.8 + 138.2 – 45 – 40 – 30 + 108.38).

Cdux,
  4. mackt1ts

mackt1ts Member

I have one
    Boat Make:
    one that floats
    Wheelp... deer season starts soon

Stickman likes this.
  5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Yep but only got out twice this season ugh. Priorities must be up my ass. But i am batting 500 o_O Been down on the Nub or Dans. Tell Keith i said hi !!.

6. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    Any new updates with the October quota? think it will last till we get up there Oct 14th? less boats, poor weather may help?
    will be staying at Cape Ann marina if the season is open.

7. Tuna Hotline

Tuna Hotline Senior Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    No news yet. Some people have called and been told "supposedly 58 tons" for October, but that will dry up real quick if true.

8. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

I spoke to NMFS yesterday...60.7mt for October and November...8mt for December.

I think October will last maybe a week until they close it again.

9. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Seven days tops!

Tuna Hotline and Ripcat like this.
  10. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    thanks for the update guys.
    looks like it take a miracle for us this season.
    maybe we will have em in the Hudson this dec.

11. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Follow up to an earlier discussion; our closing fish 84" 250#, did $8.35 back and we did most everything wrong as far as handling.

Short fight, even with 18-20# of drag he was boat side in 43 minutes. Didn't get to really swim him due a poorly placed dart shot by yours truly, which button holed the main artery; plus he sat on the deck for 2 hours before getting iced. Yet was tied for 4th highest at the auction.

Cdux,
    RockBottomFish likes this.
  12. Frigate

Frigate Captain

Licensed Land Surveyor
    Boat Make:
    38' Duffy/Flower

Yes Yes Bub, that fish would have been a $24 Wicket Tuna fish......ROTFLOL!

13. duxbait

duxbait Captain

Fisherman
    I think florida has some sort of commercial permitting setup similar to this. You have to prove that more than X% of your income is from fishing to get certain permits.

14. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    I am sure there are many ways of solving this issue. If a company is not profitable then all it has to do is lay people off and the problem is solved, Almost overnight profitability again. Doesnt make it right, just makes it easy.

Any talk of limited entry or anything similiar needs to be discussed and well thought out. Personally I think its a bad idea and is a recipe for further problems.

There are very few "commercial" fisheries sustaining anyone these days. A commercial fisherman fishes for what he can when he can and as profitably as he can. ABT is a well managed fishery for the most part. Quota and the lack of it has long been a problem. It's always a bigger problem when the stock is as healthy as it is now.

We are all on the same page for the most part I think we just need to figure this out, it can be done.

dexterdog, Ripcat and Old Mud like this.
  15. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Yup. I had to do it in FL

16. leaky

leaky Captain

I just happened to stop by here and am real late on it, but I strongly disagree with that idea. There is nothing wrong with a guy having a part time job.

The #1 practical issue is when you limit permits only to those who have good history & catches, you are basically giving all the fish to the 10% who catch 90% of the fish anyway. It does nothing just creates legal hassle. The serious full time tuna boats probably caused the most problems - many of them going out every day, often getting limits, knowing it was going to be $2.00 a lb, but hey it's a little profit and they have nothing better to do anyway. We didn't leave the dock then because we are part timers.

But aside from that, the more philosophical debate is - the same idea you have comes up with all sorts of commercial fishing, charter boats - plumbers, bars, electricians, nearly every type of business - and if you ask me it's all a crock. My opinion - if you are seasoned in a business where you are getting undercut by masses of part timers & the less experienced, the message to pick up on is for whatever reason you lost your edge. There are two reasonable things to do at that point - find an edge, or move on. Regulating to keep newcomers out really shouldn't be the solution, those newcomers have a right to the public resource too.

Jon

BlueMack, Duke and Ripcat like this.
  17. gettes

gettes Member

Boat Make:
    Osmond Beal 36
    Well said Jon. Whenever I hear this particular argument it drives me a bit nuts. It is exactly the same as me bashing any "full time" fisherman who has done some carpentry to make money, no "full-time" has ever done that right?

Hopefully the NMFS will find a cure for their "cranius rectum insertia" and have smarter regs for next year. Hopefully the BFT decide to stay up this way for the holidays too.

18. leaky

leaky Captain

Ya if we get a day or two I'm hopping on a different boat, but hell yes I'm going if we can make it out.

It's real simple - they need to remove head from ass and actually manage the fishery, as was stated. When we are catching 15 tons a day in July they gotta respond by dropping the daily limit, changing the days each week we can fish, or even closing it for a week here and there; they got lots of simple options. Leaving it at 4 fish a day as we tear through the quota, while the price tanks, and then leaving it there for 2 weeks is doing a shitty job.

I do think they should open it at 4 fish a day - many gen cat harpoon boats (who are in gen cat because they rod and reel too) depend on this in June and early July before rod & reel boats get going, but it can't stay there if the fishing ends up being easy. They have us and the buyers doing redundant nearly real time reporting of catches, they need to actually use the data.

Jon

SYo likes this.
  19. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    4 fish a day is nuts in june or july under the current quota. We have made sacrifices for years with respect to quota. This has always been a fall fishery and now we dont get enough quota to make it into but a few days in october. You want 4 fish a day then give us more quota because if anyone deserves it its us. If not then they need to have a better system than putting a lot of junk fish on the dock in july and not shutting it down for days or weeks. Not having an healthy october quota is bullshit. We need and deserve more quota.

20. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    You have to wonder if this year was an anomaly or a sign of things to come. The catch hasn't been this good much less this good this early in years, I think the Fishery Counsel was caught off guard and couldn't react fast enough. Hopefully they learned from this years "Meat Fest". I don't know if their options are covered under a charter or how exactly they operate, but hopefully they can put in some sort of stop gap system if we get a catch like this year again.