Bottom paint

pumpnhard

We stock and sell Monterey (water based) to our Pettitt Hydra-coat customers and haven't heard a complaint yet. Seahawk BioCop TF is the best multi-season (2 coats) bang for the buck followed closely by Cukote. Up here in the Merrimack (Newburyport) we use Seahawks AF33 as our house paint for single season.

Using these harder resin based paints ( Not modified epoxy based or "hard" BTW) has saved our water recycle treatment plant a ton of stress and less hard metal collection. Marina's have to pay to get rid of the metal fall off and sludge residue coming off all the boats that are power washed and collected in there recycle systems.

Seahawk paints are ideal for faster boats as well because they self polish slower than softer paints. This means less wearing off and the need for overcoats or seasonal "touch ups" around the waterline.

We are all brand loyal, I get it. But don't let that stop you from trying something new. I know I fall victim to this as well sometimes. Took me two sets of the same tires I loved on my DR650 Dual Purpose motorcycle till I tried a different brand that I love even better.

I saw Petitt has come out with a paint called Odessy HD. Apparently comes with a warranty. How this warranty will work I'm not sure but it is a multi-season (2 coats) ablative. It has a MAP price of $220 per gallon. Time will tell. It does have a fancy looking label however.....

#WashYourHands!!
Great post and advise.. may want to try a KTM as well..lol

quiknet

Boat Make
28 Seaworthy
My hull is going on it's 10 year in service. Pretty sure that it has never been blasted and barrier coated. I noticed this fall, after it was hauled and power washed, large sections of the hull were completely bare of bottom paint. Especially on the keel. What do you think would cause the paint to fail in this manner?

Genius

Captain
I think he is saying you need to prepare the hull before painting. Needs to be sanded, vacuumed and wiped down before application of the bottom paint. Are you following the directions on the can?

I seen bottom paint fail on new boats. Usually because it wasn't prepped correctly. Some use an epoxy or primer to help with the bottom paint stick to hull. Recently I used some Interlux epoxy (silver in color) on a UHDPE plastic plate to help bond bottom paint to it. Still working 7 months into it.

quiknet

Boat Make
28 Seaworthy
I think he is saying you need to prepare the hull before painting. Needs to be sanded, vacuumed and wiped down before application of the bottom paint. Are you following the directions on the can?
I'm not allowed to bottom paint at my marina. My impression is that my marina just slaps some paint on the bare/worn areas each spring without any prep work.

quiknet

Boat Make
28 Seaworthy
The paint is failing after 10yrs of over-coating. Time to strip and start over. Most "new bottoms" as we call them. Media blast hull, repair any blistering and fill and fair. Barrier coat and 3 coats of bottom paint you will be trouble free for 3yrs without having to touch it much.
Rodger that. Will have to wait until next season as a new electronics package and my 5 year service on my motor has put me in a deep hole as far as the boat budget this season. And of course, like mostly everyone else, covid has significantly degraded my earning potential.

pumpnhard

No offense to marinas but some usually do not do the best job on prep for bottom painting. They just have to many boats to get into the water. As with anything it’s all about the prep.

Last edited:

ThePartsGuy

Website
www.merri-maryachtbasin.com
No offense to marinas but they usually do not do the best job on prep for bottom painting. They just have to many boats to get into the water. As with anything it’s all about the prep.
I am offended!!! We take great pride on our bottom jobs!!

There is a lot of hours put into just the prep work side and we do not cut corners. To your point we try and schedule the boats so that we are not doing more than 4 complete bottoms each spring (combined with the other boats we commission for launch this number works well for us) . As you know @pumpnhard with the Seahawk Tuff Stuff barrier coat system you need to apply less coats due to the high build properties which makes the job quicker.

#snowflake #triggered #offended #allmarinasdontsuck #butthurt #feelings

pumpnhard

There is a lot of hours put into just the prep work side and we do not cut corners. To your point we try and schedule the boats so that we are not doing more than 4 complete bottoms each spring (combined with the other boats we commission for launch this number works well for us) . As you know @pumpnhard with the Seahawk Tuff Stuff barrier coat system you need to apply less coats due to the high build properties which makes the job quicker.

I am truly Sorry to have offended you. It was by no means my intention. There are many great marinas that do excellent work with bottoms and I know yours is one of them. You run a first class operation over there.
I mostly work in marinas so I get to see what goes on. That said more then 80% of my business is from marinas not doing the right job. The purpose of the post is not to bad mouth marinas. I have the utmost respect for them, there owners, and there employees. Some people just don’t know what they don’t know and being the place that most boats get painted it stands to reason marinas gets blamed for failures.
Once again my post was not meant to be offensive or derogatory. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
I would suggest that whenever you need to have your boats bottom coated ask who ever you are working with about there certifications. I cant speak about other manufactures however Sea Hawk has a certification program for applicators. If the person doing the work (not the business) is certified then I am sure you will receive the best job possible. Please feel free to contact me at any time to discuss this further if anyone wishes to.

Last edited:

Raider Ronnie

Captain
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Judging by the Excellent service I’ve received from you getting parts many times I would highly doubt your service department is much different

Top Bottom