Bow thruster recommendation (brand)

Tom Stewart

Boat Make
35' Henriques Maine Coaster
After this season, I want to install a bow thruster on a 35' Henriques Maine Coaster, single engine.
What brand would you recommend?
I do understand the Ford vs. Chevy implications of the question, but can't find anything meaningful on the internet.

Thanks,
Tom

AGL

Well, given that I have never seen one of these used or installed, it isn't a recommendation, but on my 28' DE there's room for it. So, consider it an option people can weigh -in on.

Following this thread with interest....

Martin

Cool Boat

Keypower by Kobelt was our choice on the 45' trawler. Had the full proportional control, 0-100% thrust. 15HP Worked like a charm.

Kenneth

Boat Make
Dyer 29
I'm putting a Side Power 60 in my Dyer but i can't really tell you how it performs yet. When i was researching i kept coming back to side power and their customer service while making the purchase and installing the tube was top notch.

c1steve

Captain
A friend has a 1999 Maine Coaster. I belive his thruster is a Vetus. The tunnel is about 8" diameter. The thruster works well, and has more than enough power.

What his boat needs is weight reduction and an improved rudder. The hull to rudder gap is about 3" on average, and in big seas steering can be a problem. Modifyng the rudder on your boat might help docking.

Ricky boat below waterline 017 - Copy.JPG

Ricky boat below waterline 020 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

ARC

Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
I have a side power in the bow and a Vetus stern thruster. They both do equally well. I would not own a boat without them.

Cool Boat

Good point on the rudder C1Steve, Our rudder was a full hydrofoil, 3" thick in the middle, tapering to a knife edge. It was also shaped to the hull. Even with a right hand prop we could turn to port smartly when backing and filling. I note that our thruster was a stern mounted unit as the boat pivots in the middle and we didn't want a tube in the bow. If we snagged something in the thruster prop we could clear it from the swim platform.

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

BlueMack

Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
I have the Holland Marine Jet Thruser. It’s pretty awesome. For your size boat you probably need the JT70. As with any thing the power supply is critical. they recommend 4 group 31 batteries, I went with north star true lead. You need to figure that into your estimate. Not sure what they are getting for the system today, but was well worth it.

by Bruno had very little room forward to fit a traditional tube system, the jet thruster has much smaller nozzles and high pressure hoses conec to the motor, which is in my engine bay. I didn’t loose any of my v berth or much storage underneath. They were able to fit the nozzles much more forward than a tube, so I turn much more efficiently

Silverheels

Website
kemillerllc.com
Boat Make
32' Wasque, 13' Boston Whaler
Well, given that I have never seen one of these used or installed, it isn't a recommendation, but on my 28' DE there's room for it. So, consider it an option people can weigh -in on.

Following this thread with interest....

Martin
Wow, not cheap!

Silverheels

Website
kemillerllc.com
Boat Make
32' Wasque, 13' Boston Whaler
I just had a Vetuss 55 installed in my 27 H&H by New England Bow Thruster out of CT.

Bow Thruster installed on the 27 H&H

6" tube....I'm thinking you'll need an 8" thruster to swing the nose of a 35 Henriques
I just installed a Lewmar 140TT 3.0 HP on my 32' Wasque. I believe that size would be marginal for a 35' so you would need the next size up. I have installed a couple Lewmar thrusters and have been pleased with their product and performance.

Tom Stewart

Boat Make
35' Henriques Maine Coaster
I have the Holland Marine Jet Thruser. It’s pretty awesome. For your size boat you probably need the JT70. As with any thing the power supply is critical. they recommend 4 group 31 batteries, I went with north star true lead. You need to figure that into your estimate. Not sure what they are getting for the system today, but was well worth it.

by Bruno had very little room forward to fit a traditional tube system, the jet thruster has much smaller nozzles and high pressure hoses conec to the motor, which is in my engine bay. I didn’t loose any of my v berth or much storage underneath. They were able to fit the nozzles much more forward than a tube, so I turn much more efficiently
I like this system for the same reasons...no room up front...Did you go with the bow thrusters only or bow and stern system?

Thanks for your input,
ts

Genius

Captain
Who has a hydraulic bow thruster? or, who has had one? How do they compare to electric? Really would like some direct experience.

I'm not convinced that there is a clear benefit to it with installation, cost or control input....but it would be nice know.

TCL

Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
Who has a hydraulic bow thruster? or, who has had one? How do they compare to electric? Really would like some direct experience.

I'm not convinced that there is a clear benefit to it with installation, cost or control input....but it would be nice know.
Search YouTube for twin disk boat with thrusters. Video is impressive but have not seen it in a few years. Biggest benefit is that there is no time limit on its use.

tunaorlater

Captain
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I have had Volvo, lewmar and vetus. Don’t recommend Volvo. Their reversing solenoid was nothing but problems. I ended up redesigning it and it’s great now. The other two were trouble free.

Top Bottom