Bruno Stillman 35 hull questions

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by CaptainHinckley, Nov 8, 2016.

1. CaptainHinckley

CaptainHinckley Senior Member

Agriculture, Horticulture
    Boat Make:
    1998 29' Sea Ray 1980 Bruno Stillman 35
    Hello all
    Looking for information on the solid hulled Bruno Stillman 35's
    In particular why am I seeing some hulls with spray rails attached and others molded in? Is it year built feature? Is it cored Verses non cored thing?
    Did Bruno Stillman have a working lobster boat mold and then a mold for the yacht hulls?
    Are there any other significant differences in the two molds?
    Also I have heard about the rudder/ shoe issue and update on the 35's and have seen a couple boats that look to have been corrected. Are there any other items that should be to be looked at and or updated on solid hulled 35's?
    By the way what is your feeling on stick built tops on these boats? I have run into a couple of them but most seem to be molded tops. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

I believe the spray rails were a yar thing but possibly when cope dory got their hands on them. Thats when they added some keel dor a bigger prop

3. Dr Dude

Dr Dude Captain

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28
    I had one of the early 35 sport cruisers (yacht hull). These were all solid hulls and all had molded in spray rails.
    The cabin, deck, bunks, toilet etc, etc were all a drop in liner....
    One of the members here posted the original brochure on these boats and I'm sure you can find it if you do a search in the top of the DEBF headliner.

4. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    The commercial hull had the rails attached, while the sport models had them molded in. Also, the sport model had about 4" added to the shear line to help with added cabin height associated with the motor being installed underneath a raised flush deck. I believe most of the commercial hulls had a motor box.

1 person likes this.
  5. CaptainHinckley

CaptainHinckley Senior Member

Agriculture, Horticulture
    Boat Make:
    1998 29' Sea Ray 1980 Bruno Stillman 35
    Thanks for the info guys. It seemed from studying pictures that it was a logical conclusion that molded in rail hulls were cruiser yacht models. Interesting they build two different molds.
    Interesting that the sheer is 4" higher on cruisers. I was on a cruiser boat that provided 6'2"" headroom down below and 6'4" in the wheelhouse. Great spaces.
    Any idea when B&S started and stoped making them? I heard nauset picked up the mold in the 80's and built some, I was unaware cape dory made some as well.
    Does any one have any of the build ads in a large enough format that I can actually read?
    I would be interested in knowing what materials were used in the making of the hulls if anyone is well informed about construction.
    These B&S 35's seem like a lot of boat for the money.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  6. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Send me your email address in a PM and I'll see if I can make a few .pdf files to send you.

7. restless

restless Captain

If memory serves me Cape Dory made the 42' B&S.