C120 GPS

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by moetuna, Jun 11, 2019 at 5:53 AM.

1. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

HAs anyone replaced the GPS antenna on a Ray Marine C120 with any success ? Found some replacements in the UK on Ebay . Seems I need to replace my nema cable also . Thank you for any input

2. bettylovesfishing

bettylovesfishing Member

Are you sure it's the antenna and cable that needs replace. In the same unit, we had, if it wasn't getting enough (current) power it did not operate as it should.

moetuna likes this.
  3. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

Losing fixed location . In and out . Was told a common problem with these units after ten years or so . Mine is 12 years old . Battery beomes week in the antenna . Mushroom is a Sealed unit

4. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

Anybody had this problem ?

5. RockBottomFish

RockBottomFish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    BHM
    Have a C80 , 18 years old. Spot on.

6. Genius

Genius Captain

I don't know what "losing fixed location" means? We run Raymarine gear in the boats and I have been told that the battery you refer to...has to do with initial start up. When the battery goes or goes weak, the unit has to determine where it is for satellite locating. This means a longer boot up time.

7. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

I know 2 other folks that had the same problem with the c120 . One bought a whole new unit the other bought a digital antenna ( different than the mushroom type I'm thinking about ) that solved the problem .

8. RCLS2016

RCLS2016 Senior Member

Maintenance Tech
    Boat Make:
    26 SISU
    Is it a Raystar 120 or 125 model? You can get one on Ebay. I believe you can also get a NMEA0183 antenna and connect it through a sea talk network. If you can, check to make sure you have a solid 12V to the antenna before spending the money. Hope this helps.

moetuna likes this.
  9. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    The battery is what contains the GNSS almanac data so it will cause a long time to get a fix, and then intermittently losing it. If you're comfortable opening up the antenna, the battery is almost always the culprit with the Raystar 120 and Raystar 125's. It's a CR2032 battery, which you can get at any CVS or Duane Reed, etc. The 120 requires a bit more care removing the spot welded battery and then resecuring it, but based on your timeline it's much more likely you have the Raystar 125 antenna. Here's a link to an explanation on THT on how to perform the Raystar 125 replacement. The way to tell the difference is the 125 has a little LED on top that shows green when it has a fix, amber when it's searching, and red when there's a major fault. The 120 has no LED at all.

Raymarine Raystar 125 battery replacement - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

If you don't want to go through this and want to start with a new antenna, all you'll need is to A: Make sure your NMEA0183 port on the back of the C120 is not already being used as an input (heading from an autopilot, DSC data from a VHF, etc). If you have an available port, you'll just need an NMEA0183 GPS antenna like the Digital Antenna GP150 or the Garmin GPS 19HVS. If you have no plug in the C120 NMEA0183 port, then you'll have to obtain the pigtail cable, PN: R08004
    At that point you'll just connect the outputs from the antenna to the inputs of the pigtail - See the image below for help:
    [​IMG]

moetuna, RCLS2016 and Genius like this.
  10. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Duane Reade.. awesome..

Wharf Rat likes this.
  11. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

12. moetuna

moetuna Senior Member

Excellent . Thank you for your replies . Thank you Wharf Rat in particular for that very informative reply . I will be taking it apart and see what I can do . I did notice the led on the top . thought it was a sealed unit . Now I know better . Thank you