c120wide intermittently shutting off

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by fireescape, Aug 13, 2019.

1. fireescape

fireescape Member

retired firefighter/medic, charter owner/Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    1999 T Jason 35.
    hello, I have a c120w that works great except occasionally it shuts off and restarts on its own. I bought a compact flash card, and downloaded the latest software update, but the machine doesn't recognize the card, actually bought a second one and still no good. I dont think its the card reader slot because it reads my chart card with no problem.
    Anyone have a similar experience? What was the outcome/fix?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Marine Electronics 'Professional' Forum Sponsor

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    how big (MBs/GBs) of a CF card are you using for the SW update?

3. fireescape

fireescape Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    1999 T Jason 35.
    128 mb

4. bettylovesfishing

bettylovesfishing Member

I had a c120 unit and loved it. Now , I'm not a marine electrical engineer by any means and really don't know about your card reader. But I can tell you if your boats charging system doesn't meet the needs of your batteries and your running multiple appliances and the c120 periodically looses a loss in current (not necessarily a total loss) that unit will shut down or behave in a way that you may think it's broken. That was my experience and it was a real challenge trying to figure it out but finally did.

novivin likes this.
  5. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Betty is spot on. Check your 12v supply health. Mine will do whacky things for same reason.

6. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Sudden voltage drops and spikes cause c-series units trouble. I run a two bank system with house loads isolated by an ACR with ignition protection.
    Before I installed the ACR, I had more issues. When batteries were old and slightly weak, had more issues...

7. fireescape

fireescape Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    1999 T Jason 35.
    thanks, new 8d start, 2 new 8d house with ACR and ignition protection. I'm going to try and find another compact flash card.

8. RCLS2016

RCLS2016 Senior Member

Maintenance Tech
    Boat Make:
    26 SISU
    fireescape,
    As said already, you really need a solid supply of 12Volts for Raymarine products. If that is not the problem there are issues with the older power cables. Raymarine should be able to supply you with the newer upgraded one... Lastly depending on what plant it was manufactured there are issues with some of the E and C series 120 & 140 displays. #1 the daughter board can become separated from the main board and causes a problem with the CF card slot and can also cause rebooting. #2 Raymarine used the same driver for the CFL display in the C120s as they did in the C80s. The 120s had more CFLs and can cause problems with the drivers. There is a guy down in Florida who can repair them but its about $500-$600. I'll get you his contact info if you end up needing it. Hope this helps you out.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  9. chortle

chortle Captain

retired
    Boat Make:
    Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
    I had a similar problem.

I installed a brand new C14w, purchased direct from Raymarine in 2013 on a closeout sale. I installed it, 100% new wiring to ABYC specs, new batteries, (3) new group 31 deep cycle house bank, (1) new 8D engine start battery, new battery charger and a new SI-ACR. New Volvo D6 with a stock alternator installed in 2015.

I tested the system with a Fluke multimeter when I started having a similar problem three years ago. All wiring rechecked on both ends, super clean, cabinets were dusty not moist, and solid voltage readings, no losses detected. Clean, solid grounds. Unit would run fine for an hour or so and then start to flicker and then go black. This would be while the engine is running and the alternator indicating full charging activity on the meter at the helm station.

A restart always corrected the problem. I put up with it for a few months and then called Raymarine. It took some time on the phone, back and forth, on hold, transferred more than once. Because the unit is so old by their standards they really did not want to or could not diagnose any issues over the phone. I finally got to talk to a bench technician. He agreed to let me send it back to them for testing. They got it, put it on the bench, they never had a problem on the bench. Constantly on for two days, on off on for days, they never had a problem, after two weeks they shipped it back to me, no charge, that was the summer of 2016.

I reinstalled it and it has never had a problem since. Same wiring, same alternator, same charging system. In the meantime I replaced both batteries last year, 2018, but the previous year with the same old batteries, no problem.

So, maybe remove the unit, put in your car for a week and drive around, put it back in the boat and see what happens but I suspect they did something in the bench testing process that caused something to jiggle or reset, either mechanically or electrically. Good luck.

10. novivin

novivin Senior Member

I have had to disassemble mine twice to deal with the screen jiggling loose from the mini vga screen connector.
    The inside of the c-series is not made for lots of vibration, in my humble opinion. I am no electrical engineer.

Genius likes this.
  11. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Marine Electronics 'Professional' Forum Sponsor

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
  12. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale

I wouldn’t waste $ on a new card.
    C series are known for 2 problems.
    Bad power cables and dsm300 issues depending where they were made, Hungary or (I think) Mexico and those2 issues go hand in hand.