Cabin head room

Shenton79

Hi all,

I’m about 5’10” and was really hoping to be able to get into something 30-34, pushing 36 if needed, that has full headroom and a flushing head. Whether or not the head is private...my wife would say it’s a bonus. I just looked at a Young Brothers 30 andI was hunched over in there the whole time.
Will I generally have to go up in length to get more in headroom or are they completely disassociated and it all just depends on the house? That said...what brands and lengths should I be looking at?

keep in mind my budget will eventually be under $70k so new boats are out of the question.

Thanks all.

Gurryman

Captain
Boat Make
Nauset 28, CuttyHunk 28 Molds
I'm 6' and don't hunch over anywhere in my Nauset 28. There's at least 6'3" at the helm

El Mar

Captain
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Depends on the boat and who paid to or finished it and how tall they were.

Most Downeasts are custom. Been on a few with more and some with less.

I’m 6’4” don’t fit in most DEs.

Silverheels

Website
kemillerllc.com
Boat Make
32' Wasque, 13' Boston Whaler
My 32' Wasque has just under 6' of standing headroom, enclosed head and extended hardtop. Narrow boat, could use some more beam.

kcassells

Captain
Depends on the boat and who paid to or finished it and how tall they were.

Most Downeasts are custom. Been on a few with more and some with less.

I’m 6’4” don’t fit in most DEs.
Like El Mar says. It will end up being a search mission with variables of the build and height.

Haddock

Boat Make
23' Maritime Marine Voyageur
I am 6'5" and my brother in law is too so he had the deck lowered on his 46' Wesmac build to accommodate us; only DE boat I have found to be comfortable for me that I have been on. Not sure what is the average height of Northeast DE fisherman but I did know that demographics of Saab owners had the highest height average for cars.

Kailua Kid

Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Hi all,

I’m about 5’10” and was really hoping to be able to get into something 30-34, pushing 36 if needed, that has full headroom and a flushing head. Whether or not the head is private...my wife would say it’s a bonus. I just looked at a Young Brothers 30 andI was hunched over in there the whole time.
Will I generally have to go up in length to get more in headroom or are they completely disassociated and it all just depends on the house? That said...what brands and lengths should I be looking at?

keep in mind my budget will eventually be under $70k so new boats are out of the question.

Thanks all.
The General Marine 26 has an enclosed head (or some of them do) and headroom for 6 footer both at helm and in the cabin (which has two bunks and a galley). The headroom in the enclosed head (which has a shower) is essentially the same as in the cabin. I have not measured the headroom, but I am 5’10” and do not crouch when in the cabin or head compartment. Used, a GM 26 similarly finished would be within your stated target for price. Mine is a 2000 with a Yanmar DTE 6LP (250 hp) and has worked out very well for me. Absolutely no complaints — and it was very used when I bought her through the builder as a used “brokerage” boat last year. She has been in daily service in all kinds of weather and sea states since I took delivery. A boat that can be trailered occasionally if you want or need is a bonus. (Stacey at General Marine put a trailer together for me when I bought the boat.) Just a thought.

SeaKarma

Headroom is always an issue for me with the cabin boats, which is too bad because I really only like boats that are enclosed in some way due to practical reasons of being able to close and lock doors at the dock.

I'm just about 6'6" and obviously have trouble with even some of the 38 footers I've stood in. That was actually one of the first catalysts to me deciding to build my own. That said, sometimes my GM 22' looks like three scoops of ice cream on a cone to me, but I have to be OK with that since I would not want a boat I had to think about where the ceiling is, so that was a function over form decision.

On Kaliua's comments on the GM26 - Stacey has indicated to me that he has a few different ways to squeeze some more headroom out of them when building new.. That said I'd bet some have more than others, but he would have to confirm that.

ArchHibb

Captain
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
Shenton -
The good news, if 6 feet of headroom will meet your needs, you can find that in many DE builds. The not-so-good news, boats less than 35ft. understandably tend to favor on-deck space so the below deck cabin space gets pushed towards the bow and the headroom suffers.
Another aspect to pay attention to is the floor. The head in my 35 has 6’-3” next to the centerline bulkhead, but move 6” towards the rubrail the top & floor slope towards each other dramatically. Built down hulls like BHM, Bruno, and Duffy will have more depth than skeg hulls like Beals and Holland.

leaky

Captain
One thing I would add is excepting real big boats that tend to have decks 12+ inches above the waterline by default, if you build custom I would always be extremely skeptical of any plan that includes a lower than usual deck.

Basically more than a few boats end up with a deck just hovering barely over the waterline, or without enough pitch, when trying to make a deeper cockpit or pilot house headroom. The right solution is adding to the height of the top.

Top Bottom