Capt Tim needs help with Radar and GPS.

Timothy Forrest

I purchase a 1972 Sisu 23’ last April 2019. The seller demonstrated the radar and the gps depthfinder to me when showing the boat, and on my next trip to see it, he had removed the units from their brackets and gave them to me for safe keeping while the boat finished some final repairs and I took delivery. I pulled the boat home on a trailer and it has been in the yard for the remainder of the time except for one launching and I decided to connect the units and turn them on and to my surprise, neither unit would come on. The radar make and model is a JRC JRC 1500 MKII.

I am expecting power failure to the units due to poor connection, fuse or something, but my question is, can I have the units checked at a shop without removing the power cables? Or better yet, is there someone who can make a “house call” to my boat to check it out? Since it is trailered, I could pull it somewhere within the area. I am located in Greenville, NC.

Kailua Kid

Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
I purchase a 1972 Sisu 23’ last April 2019. The seller demonstrated the radar and the gps depthfinder to me when showing the boat, and on my next trip to see it, he had removed the units from their brackets and gave them to me for safe keeping while the boat finished some final repairs and I took delivery. I pulled the boat home on a trailer and it has been in the yard for the remainder of the time except for one launching and I decided to connect the units and turn them on and to my surprise, neither unit would come on. The radar make and model is a JRC JRC 1500 MKII.

I am expecting power failure to the units due to poor connection, fuse or something, but my question is, can I have the units checked at a shop without removing the power cables? Or better yet, is there someone who can make a “house call” to my boat to check it out? Since it is trailered, I could pull it somewhere within the area. I am located in Greenville, NC.
Do you have one battery, or two? Two-way or three-way battery switch? House battery isolator switch\key? Probably something very simple. Maybe call the seller and ask what you are doing wrong.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Sounds like voltage. Trace the power leads to see if they're going to a fuse block, in-line fuse, etc. Make sure the connections are clean and tight, and then test the voltage from the power source up the line. Start at the battery switch, go to the panel, then fuse block, etc. Do the 'Wiggle Test' where you wiggle the leads to see if there's a loose connection, which is most likely at the DC negative/ground. A test light is nice, but electronics are more sensitive so a voltage drop is something that can be measured with a very basic digital voltmeter. Especially considering the batteries haven't been charged for a while, if the battery is only at 11.5VDC, most likely the units are getting a lot less than that as the voltage drops across the cables and connections. You don't need a $200 meter, but a simple meter usually is less than $50. Just make sure it can measure resitance/ohms, so you can check continuity, and at least DC voltage although most have DC and AC voltage.

This link is for a Fluke 101 which is literally less than $50 and will do everything you need, auto-ranging, compact, and accurate. Probably the most any boat owner will ever need. https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-101-Multimeter-Resistance-Capacitance/dp/B00HE6MIJY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2TPILU42E4U44&keywords=fluke+101+multimeter&qid=1585171792&s=hi&sprefix=fluke+101,tools,146&sr=1-4

Timothy Forrest

Do you have one battery, or two? Two-way or three-way battery switch? House battery isolator switch\key? Probably something very simple. Maybe call the seller and ask what you are doing wrong.
I havent had time to run it down yet. Got my tester. Have two batteries. Switch is 1,2,All.

Latest Posts