Changing engine from Mack to Cat

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by Kemosabe fishing, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Kemosabe fishing

Kemosabe fishing Member

Hello friends

I am looking for a little advice. I have a 1989 Duffy. I use it for northeast canyon fishing. Mostly 80-100 miles offshore. The boat came with a Mack e7 630 hp engine. Which I was told should turn 2300 rpm but only turned 2150 rpm at full. I am taking this engine out as I have had trouble with it and replacing it with a more efficient lighter engine. I am considering the cat c-9 503 hp which turns 2300 rpm. My question is will this be enough power to achieve the desired 17 kts at 80 percent load ? And should the zf 1.5 to 1 gear work for the new engine? Considering they operate at similar rpm. Im looking to make this change quickly but would really appreciate your input. Thanks

2. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    26 Duffy, 14 Holland
    How size Duffy are you running, and what speeds were you making with the Mack? What size wheel are you turning? Lots of information needed to help you out with your repower.

3. djmarchand

djmarchand Captain

Retired engineer
    Boat Make:
    Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
    To get an idea of what a new Cat of 503 hp will do at 80% load (I assume that you are speaking of 80% of max power not 80% of wot rpms) or about 400 hp, run your Mack engine at about 1,950 and see what it will do. The speed should be approximately comparable to the Cat at 400 hp.

David

BillD likes this.
  4. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Missing many factors here. Length of boat, weight of the boat, weight of the engines, and etc.
    As a general rule I never suggest going down in hp on a repower. You are spending a lot of money to pull an engine out and put a new one in. If it were me I would consider going with the same HP or more.

5. Kemosabe fishing

Kemosabe fishing Member

The boat is 35 ft long. The boat weight is approx 18 thousand lbs. The 12 volt c9 is approx 2100 lbs. the Mack was a few hundred lbs more. The prop is 26 inch x 29 pitch which I’m sure will need to be changed with the new engine. Also the gear is zf311a 1.5 to 1. The gear is new and I intend to re use it for the new engine. I used to cruise at 15-16 kts at 1650 rpm with the Mack. I am looking to cruise around 16 kts at 1800 rpm with the cat. Any help would really be appreciated. I’m looking to get this going very soon. Thanks.

capecodlobster likes this.
  6. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    My advise is to get a different reduction

Dslpwr likes this.
  7. snowstorm

snowstorm Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 ellis
    2300 sounds about rite in neutral with no load. in gear under load most will run 150 rpm less. the mack is 12l its a converted truck motor just like all the others. i would fix the mack

8. PatriciaLynn

PatriciaLynn Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Repco
    A QSC8.3 @600hp would be a good fit and would be right around 2000lbs all in. This engine spins up to 3k, so you would definitely need to pull some pitch

9. Hammer Slammer

Hammer Slammer Senior Member

Builder
    Boat Make:
    31 Duffy
    My buddy built a 35' with a c9 in it not sure of the gear or ratio, ( cape island built it) and it went ok 18 knots or so but was pretty thirsty. That Mack is a hell of a engine I actually have one in one of my trucks. I am willing to bet you will need a lot more power then the c9 to compare to the Mack.