Circle Hooks Shark

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by ChrisXL64, May 26, 2015.

1. restless

restless Captain

Please let us know how they work.

2. mako239

mako239 Member

Boat Make:
    1987 28 BHM 210 Cummins
    circle hooks

I have had pretty good luck with circles ive been using them for a while now ive a had 300 plus lb makos and a hammerhead pushing 400 on them .. My fav to use is a 16/0 and 18/0 Lp with offsets but ive also had luck with 18/0 and 20/0 non offset mustads... They have there plus and minuses but once there hooked they usually stay on and another plus is your not gut hooking small makos ...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  3. GLA

GLA Senior Member

hooks

this is the hook I have had not such good luck with

it is a 18/0 lp

somehow I think the leader gets tangled up in the teeth and pulls the hook out the front of the mouth and doesn't allow the hook to make it to the corner

surprised others have had good luck with them. must be something with my setup, usually rig them on 400 mono

Attached Files:

• hook.jpg
      hook.jpg
      File size:
      77.8 KB
      Views:
    GLA,
  4. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    I bet the crimp is interfering with the hook set.

We have had very good luck with the Mustads on single strand wire in 18/0 and 20/0.

5. GLA

GLA Senior Member

never tried one on wire, thought that is the reason for using them in the first place, so you don't need it.

could be the reason, the crimp may be catching on something and interfering

will have to try a short 3 ft piece this season

I will say the mono gets more hits on most days when that rig is in the water. almost like they are leader shy

GLA,
  6. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    We run a small 5-6 foot leader to a swivel then the 400 mono.

Works real well.

How long is that crimp?

7. mako239

mako239 Member

Boat Make:
    1987 28 BHM 210 Cummins
    I use the same as el mar 4 to 6 ft of single strand and 400 lb mono

8. ChrisXL64

ChrisXL64 Senior Member

You guys using wind ons with the 400? IE some kind of loop to loop with the main line?

I've always used 49 strand to a big swivel on either end; and 2 foot of wire off of that to the hook. Considering switching to mono.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  9. mako239

mako239 Member

Boat Make:
    1987 28 BHM 210 Cummins
    I'm not using wind ons I would if I didn't have roller guides but I'm just replacing the 400 lb mono instead of cable

10. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    No wind on. Palomar to barrel swivel on 400 mono.

Keep it simple.

11. twister

twister Captain

Boat Make:
    37 Mitchell cove
    I use wind ons, keeps it easy can wind the fish right in to the tip if just using mono if not 3' off. Easy as hell on the crew no need to worry about who goes for the leader if it's a busy day with lots of fish.

12. Dave Wynn

Dave Wynn Senior Member

Sales / Project Manager
    Boat Make:
    H&H 32 Desperado
    Im new to the circle hook idea. Im not a big fan of circle hooks at all !! Im old school. I was at trophy Tackle today to try to understand the set up. I like the mono idea alot. bought some 300lb leaders all riged up. I took a package od Eagle L2045M 20/0. figured Ill start there. Any thoughts open to any help.

13. MBILL

MBILL Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy&Duffy
    I finally got out yesterday and gave the Mustad 39960D some testing.

I was looking for a Mako and started with my usual J hook rigs, not wanting to experiment on a Mako hookup if possible.

Turned out that we were covered in Blue Sharks so eventually we went to the circle hook since most of my "J"s were gone.

I have mixed reviews from my short test. I hooked the first one cleanly, started with a light drag, let him run and socked up the drag when the run was steady. The Blue was hooked in the corner of the mouth and I was able to get the hook back with some effort.
    After the first one, we had a lot of pickups where the Blue's dropped the bait. This did not happen with the J hooks.
    We hooked a couple more Blue's that swallowed the circle hook. The last one had our hook in it's belly and a rusting J hook in the corner of its mouth.

I'll try again and see what happens. I'd guess that the circles will work ok if used properly on aggressive hookups but they're a problem if you're dealing with a lazy pickup.

Digginit 38 likes this.
  14. LadyMaureen

LadyMaureen Captain

Boat Make:
    Wesmac
    I did same yesterday. I used the 20/0 mustads all day. We fished on 15 pounds drag for strike. Caught 8 blue sharks and missed one bite. I don't prefer using these circles but my trip yesterday seemed to go just fine so I can't complain too much.

15. mako239

mako239 Member

Boat Make:
    1987 28 BHM 210 Cummins

Yes I hear ya on the lazy Bites it had me second guessing! I have lost some blue dogs due to lazy bites but knock on wood no makos yet.. Most of the big makos took the baits aggressive or showed themselves first and i caught them on pitch baits and I quickly put the boat in gear once they took the bait helping to secure the hook .. Here's a pic of pup hooked where its supposed to be..

Attached Files:

CaptLuke likes this.
  16. Rockasauras

Rockasauras Captain

You hit the nail right on the head Bill. We have no leaders anymore, just politicians...and that goes all the way to the top

17. Runaway36

Runaway36 Member

I fished Saturday too, had mixed rigs out. I try and remove as many hooks as I can, we usually get back 90 % of the J-Hooks. I was only able to get 1 out of 6 of the circles back.