Closed cooling system for AC?

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32

Cool Boat

Starting with the negatives: I actually spoke to Fernstrum last week about a keel cooler and see that they are very pricey. Being on a lift could also put it at greater risk of damage. Using the boat on a lift with raw water cooling might necessitate the addition of an automatic air vent too. I had to put one on a friend's boat that would often get air in the lines and lose prime when it was on plane, and he didn't want to relocate the intake. A check valve might also work but would likely be prone to failure in the Chesapeake. With these options out, you could could consider an air cooled option. Years ago I salvaged an evaporator out of an old AC window unit and hooked it up to a Faryman 3,5KW water cooled generator. We just used 50/50 antifreeze mix in it. There was a regular house type fan to blow the excess heat out of the coil. It worked well for the few hours we used it until the new electric lines were run to the pole barn. If it was my boat, I'd probably skip all of this Handy Andy stuff and just get one of the upright AC vented units that use two flex ducts. My apologies to everyone named Andy, but some of you might remember those "beginner" tool kits from our youth.

Genius

Vice Admiral
AC or refrigeration is all about moving heat. You move it from one place to another. I really don't understand what you would gain from making a closed cooling circuit as it would likely not provide enough heat extraction when on the lift and in the air. So, air cooled option seems the best for you if you want to use it when you are out of the water.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32

TCL

Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
Hey Old Bay,
Yes it has been hot and the sea Nettles have been going crazy. We have been spending a lot of our time up the Severn in Maynadier Creek trying to find Nettle free waters but just saw some there yesterday.

As for your boat...it was originally designed for 1-15 AC (1 hatch and 15 KTS) .

I would think that a standard AC system would be a good idea, problem is how to move water while on the lift? I'm thinking that you might need an additional pump as I don't think a standard circulating pump can suck up too high of a distance, perhaps a separate dock mounted pressure pump might work?

I have talked to a few people on lifts who have thought about modifications so that they can run their AC in de-humidification mode, but as yet I don't know anybody who has actually pulled it off. Perhaps the engineers on here can help?

Stay cool,
Dave

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Mount your window shaker on the dock in a dock box, run an insulated flexible duct from the dockbox to the boat, done. No water required. Might have to fiddle with the thermostat setting to keep it at the right temp in the boat.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Wasque 32

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Staff online

Top Bottom