Cold molded hulls

Shenton79

Hi all,

been wanting to stay away from wood hulls but after watching the process for cold molding...I might reconsider. I’m looking at a Brownell cold molded 33 that looks really nice and it’s hard to look away from to be honest but I’m just slapping myself saying WOOD stay away FROM WOOD!

could someone lend some ownership / maintenance experience with cold molded we’ll done boats like the Brownell?

Thanks!!!

I built this Tolman skiff 20 years ago using the stitch and glue method and encapsulating all plywood in fiberglass and epoxy. Even with diligent care and maintenance, I've still had some rot here and there over the years, mostly on the non-plywood parts like the gunwale, rub rails, and spray rails. My next boat won't be wood.
The biggest issue with purchasing and owning a wooden boat is that noone else wants it, so if you decide to sell it you're going to lose major money on it.

First Draft2.jpg

Quik Fix 16

Boat Make
Shamrock
What about all those multi million dollar Carolina sportfishers? Mostly cold molded and there is a strong market. Most of the boats talked about on this site are wood covered with fiberglass on fiberglass hulls.

What about all those multi million dollar Carolina sportfishers? Mostly cold molded and there is a strong market. Most of the boats talked about on this site are wood covered with fiberglass on fiberglass hulls.
The multi million dollar sportsfisherman market doesn't really apply to $20K-$100K boats like most of us talk about here. Those Carolina sportsfishermen have electronics packages on them that cost what our boats cost.

c1steve

Captain
Cold molded hulls often have zero issues. The decks which are exposed to sun and rain are more of a problem.

Staff online

Top Bottom