Commercial Bass Fisherman read this

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by ERO83, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ERO83

ERO83 Member

Live Wire likes this.
  2. tunaless

tunaless Member

Great ideas

Hopefully it gets passed, keep the price up, allow a more consistent market, spread the fishing out in the state, probably increase the # of licenses that sell fish, as fishing in their area may be better with an earlier start date, then in the middle of the summer. Cross your fingers. If they were really smart, they would just mimic New Yorks system, and we leave the breeders alone.

3. twister

twister Captain

Boat Make:
    37 Mitchell cove
    if you go and vote for the earlier season, remember that RI's season opens 6/6 and may last a month so there will be fish being sold. though reducing the trip limit would help stabilize the price and allow the market to sell the fish better. It may be a wash over your season.

marlin28 likes this.
  4. myentourage

myentourage Senior Member

Prohibit for-hire permit holders from engaging in commercial striped bass fishing with
    clients aboard ;

I don't get it i thought this was already a rule. You cannot mix recreational and commercial in the same trip.

twister and oldshell55 like this.
  5. ERO83

ERO83 Member

no they can double dip as they say. gotta get out to the hearings and speak if you want to be heard thats a fact.

6. twister

twister Captain

Boat Make:
    37 Mitchell cove
    I know they do not allow that in RI odd that they would allow in Mass. I do know a number of charter guys that do let their clients fish for their limit of bass and other fish and they get busted for it too.

7. Capt Dave

Capt Dave Member

Rule is you can't have rec sized fish (ie 28") on board if your selling commercial fish. So as long the the charter boat only has commerical sized fish on board, the customers can take thier share (2/person) and the charter boat can legally sell the rest.

Not too much different that a commercial boat going out to catch thier 30 fish with 4 guys on board.

8. myentourage

Yeah thats bullshit thats exactly what im talking about. so the charter boat captain will use that as a selling point for the general public to go on his boat, he will give his customers more than 2 fish their allowed because he made it to the dock and there is no epo's around. I'm sure those customers will come back to him before they go on another boat and catch the 2 fish they are suppose to.

Oh yeah and those fish that he is giving to his customers never make the commercial quota but he is fishing under commercial regulations on the water though. Those 4 guys fishing commercially, their fish will eventually make the market and go under the quota. Here ya go:

Vessels permitted as both for-hire vessels and commercial vessels may not engage in
    commercial fishing activity while engaged in for-hire fishing activities [CMR 7.01 and
    7.10].

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  9. Super Suck

Super Suck Senior Member

On Deck & on Land
    Boat Make:
    Lasco 5' fiberglass
    The charters fish will come out of the 30 fish but have to be checked in first.

10. Irish Jig 78

Irish Jig 78 Member

"Vessels permitted as both for-hire vessels and commercial vessels may not engage in commercial fishing activity while engaged in for-hire fishing activities [CMR 7.01 and
    7.10]".

Entourage: Couldn't agree more. Not to begrudge anybody trying to make a living but you can't be both...you're either commercial or you're recreational.

myentourage likes this.
  11. Irish Jig 78

Irish Jig 78 Member

"The charters fish will come out of the 30 fish but have to be checked in first".

Checked in? Checked in where? When you go to sell your fish to the dealer, it's not as though you then take a few and toss them into the back of a cooler destined back to Holyoke after the number of fish is recorded.

It's a pretty clear distinction;
    -Charterboats take recreational anglers out fishing under recreational reg's for recreational purpose.
    -Commerical vessels fish for the sole purpose of selling their catch.

Badlatitude likes this.
  12. myentourage

Im sure the phrase "checked in" is really going to go a long way.;)

13. Capt Dave

Capt Dave Member

First, let me say I agree with separating commercial/recreational activities, the two shouldn't occur together. I'm just pointing out that is what is allowed today.

Back in 2004/05, there was the same proposal. Charter boats from the cape fought it and won, that's why it's a proposal again. Hopefully it will be accepted this time.

Along the above, they should re-instate the original control date of March 2008, a season opening date of June 1st and reduce the days and limits.

They should also look at reducing the recs to (1) fish and increasing the size limit. One of the stupidest thing the state did was making the rec limit less than 32".

michael tero likes this.
  14. Irish Jig 78

Irish Jig 78 Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  15. myentourage

16. Jay c

Jay c Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31' Duffy

17. myentourage

On what, some convoluted principal?

I don't know how else to explain it, when me and 76 other charter fisherman get a letter from the director saying we are not allowed to have clients on board and engage in commercial fishing (scup and seabass). Then find out that an addendum is coming up to stop striper for-hire captains to not engage in commmercial fishing with clients on board kind of makes you pissed off to say the least. Then to find out that it has been going on years with the knowledge of the DMF. If you are one of for-hire captains doing this sorry to hear but if the shoe was on the other foot im sure it would be the same outpoor. Do to one as you would do to the other, no offense to the striper guys trying to make a living this way but thats just being fair.

18. Jay c

Jay c Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31' Duffy
    Sorry that you can't sell your catch on a charter - we got that letter too. Doesn't effect me because I rarely heads down to buzzards. But I feel for the guys it adversely effects.
    But DEM does give you a significantly increased bag limit because you charter so that you can book more trips - sure as sh*t don't see that with Stripers. And you can also run those two "1/2 day" trips with the same people that you all market.
    If I ever came back to the dock, ran 12 fish up to the cars and took the same guys back out again, I'd have my nuts in a sling.

Btw - I don't care that you scup boats do this - more power to you. But if my business doesn't effect yours, stay out of it. Unless of course you have a better reason than spite.

19. myentourage

Scup charters are not doing 1/2 day trips starting june 15th the fish are too far out and it is not possible. Unfortunately Striped Bass are a little more watched than other species because it can definately be abused due to cases like this.

BTW i would stay out if it if the DMF didn't know about it. But when we are treated like we were and the DMF is allowing this to go on its pretty much a slap in the face to us scup guys. Especially when they have good reason to do it with the bass guys, they are fighting to get more commercial quota. Oh yeah the commercial scup quota hasnt been met for about 8yrs.

20. Capt Dave

Capt Dave Member