Commercial Bass Fisherman read this

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by ERO83, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Irish Jig 78

Irish Jig 78 Member

Interesting...see, that's what I'm curious about. How is it that the 2003 control date could expire; is that something that was a published decision? And as for the 2008 control date, although bass was exempted in the original 2008 legislation, enacting that date as a control date now seems to be just any arbitrary date....doesn't it? If it didn't apply then - what's the logic in making it apply now? I suspect that the easiest thing to do is to go with the 9/2013 idea from last year...time will tell.

2. Capt Dave

Capt Dave Member

I believe the 2003 control date expired because it was worded if not implemented within a certain timeframe it would become null and void.

Relative to establishing2008 (or any other date as the control date) if you haven't learned by now, the goverment will do whatever they want.

3. ERO83

ERO83 Member

Unfortunately that is the real truth. I do feel that a control date of 9/2013 would make the most sense. That way people who have invested "x" amount of dollars getting in to the fishery (since '08)won't be at a total loss. I know many people who have purchased boats and all that goes with it in that time frame who would be in a real bad spot if they got cut out. And for those who think it's not enough of an economc boost to go bassing should talk to my buddy who fed his wife and kid in that money. He'd be screwed. If they cut it off now it would prevent anyone from wasting money getting in to a fishery they can't participate in. But, they'll do whatever they want...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  4. duxbait

duxbait Captain

Fisherman
    As a young fisherman, and somebody who is relatively new to the striped bass fishery, I feel the control date should not be 2008, or not at all. I started out selling pogies and then Stripers. Having it an open fishery allowed me to make my way into commercial fishing. Making this a limited fishery will prevent any new fishermen from entering the business, some may think this is good, but I don't. A 2008 control date could possibly take me out of Striped Bass fishing, something I feel would not be right as I am a new fisherman who has contributed to the fishery since joining. I am not the recreational fisherman who fishes with his buddies to pay gas bills that this date is trying to remove. Why not have something like a history of at least 5000lbs over the last few years to keep your permit?