Crosby Canyon 30 - Opinions on listing

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Hooper, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Hooper

Hooper Captain

2. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

Never seen one set up as a single....knew of one that had a pair of 6BTAs, was a pretty fishy boat. Nice layout down below, good visibility from the raised helm deck. Solidly built hull, I think she was a pretty good sea boat, I recall the bottom being a good shape for the Sound/East of Chatham. I'd go take it for a spin tomorrow Hoop, might not be around long.....

Hooper likes this.
  3. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    I got to crawl around them when I was a kid!!! This was back with Osterville Anglers Club was at Crosby's and it was fun... I know some had early alignment issues but I think that was taken care of. I've never seen one beyond the sound myself but I know there was one they tried to sink in the canyons but couldnt sink it before the USCG showed up. Great 6pack boat and love how its setup like a carolina express in a sense.

BUY IT!

Hooper likes this.
  4. captainlarry84

captainlarry84 Captain

retired
    Boat Make:
    KristenFormer Charter Captain
    Great boats they run very well with the single TA CAT. Make sure the tanks are sound then make an offer. You will not be disappointed. it is a hunt vee bottom design with a propeller pocket. A fine ride.

Hooper likes this.
  5. Hooper

Hooper Captain

Thank you Frank, Shawn and Larry for those replies. I realy like the layout too, a lot like the Runaway 36 but smaller and single engine.

Questions, which 3208 do you think is in this boat, 320hp or 375? Probably a 15kt boat if so? They don't list the hours, at how many hours would a 3208 begin to become more work than it is worth?

What do you guys think a good starting point would be for an offer? What do you think she's worth? Never really been very good at negotiations.

6. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    I suck at negotiations too... just buy it...lol

Just make sure that some "wingbat" didn't have a cracked fuel tank and installed the "20" gallon fuel tank listed to get him around Sampsons (?) island on the weekend...lol

That helm chair looks comfy too...

Its funny but thinking about a boat short of a half dozen that use these for charterboats now... Although, between the age of the boat, 85 and engine 90, why do I think I've seen the twin engine Volvo's ones go for less than this? Its a tough hull to price, I think.

I know we looked at them at one point but to damn expensive with local labor and ended up with the Luhrs 32, similiar look, you betya...

Just make sure that when she gets up on plane you do not lose all your visibility... I just remember captains in teh late 80's and early 90's talking about how express visibility even with the two or so steps still sucked as the bow would be up there. I think they were referencing a garlington 44 or (38) if they made it but I remember being at Crosby's when this all went down. Amazing what sticks out in your head... I know the Luhrs had a few moments you I dont think you could see much...

7. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    You guys seem to know more about the hull, is it going to be more like a planing or displacement hull? The deadrise 19 degrees kinda throws out the displacement on me... Not sure if that hull getting over the curve will even be there...

I didnt know it was a Hunt thing, I thought it came out of California or something, maybe the MOLD went there and came back or something.

Anyone on here ever been part of Osterville Anglers Club? Like I said I remember we used to have the functions inside the old buildings and love it because they were building theses every once in a while and then the tugs and Striper 24. I remember one of the employee's taking me to buy soda, with the old glass bottles, had the door that open to them. It was a dream come true for a kid back then. I had my first beer down on those docks with my Dad after eating yellowfin tuna.

Hooper likes this.
  8. Hooper

Hooper Captain

I know a guy whose buddy repowered one with a pair of Cummings and it was a charter boat in the Sound for awhile. Don't know much more about them than that.

For comparison, Crosby's has another 30 for sale with a pair of Peninsula diesels in her, I wouldn't touch those engines, plus, it's listed at 90K. Clean boat tho...

Crosby Yacht Yard, Inc. (Osterville, MA)&

9. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    I thought one just sold down here for like $33K with twin old, small Volvo's on it, semi beat up... I just dont want to get it confused with the Hawk 29 was it?

10. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

Listed as a TA engine, so I'd guess 375HP. That's the preferred rating for the aftercooled 3208 but you'd need service records and survey to make an educated decision about the engine. I'd think 15kt is a good guess for cruise speed, it's a heavier boat. Funny I seem to remember it having a bit of a keel aft, like a Harris hull, with less than 19 degs of deadrise, but then again that was a year or 10 ago. I might be getting my mental photo album mixed up again.

For a 28 year old boat with an old, possibly high-hour engine a lot of people would say 50K is too much, but the fact that they have a 94' with twin engines nobody's ever heard of listed for 90K makes me wonder. Are you paying a premium for the Crosby name? Maybe, but maybe it's worth it? Always nice having the builder of the boat local to troubleshoot problems. If a survey checks out I bet she goes for close to 50K, I think people on the Cape will recognize the value.

11. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

Larry, if it's a Hunt V bottom it would be a constant deadrise ? The Hunt I had was a constant deadrise, Great for eating up those headseas but it would snap yer head off on the hook. All around it was a great hull albeit only 24'. Always wanted to copy that hull to a 30' er with a single engine but didn't know about the prop being so deep.

12. Bill_N

Bill_N Captain

Boat Make:
    31' JC Rowdy Girl
    I'd like to have some bench seats under the hardtop but it looks like the engine hatches weren't changed out when the repower to a single was done. Assuming that it was a twin conversion makes me wonder if something else was skipped. Definately need a good surveyor if you get to that point. I have seen some of these sit for a long time on the market. Seems high to me..

Hooper likes this.
  13. Med Sun

Med Sun Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Maritime Skiff not a DE but built in Maine
    I had a 1973 Vineyard Yacht the Bay Wolf Powered by a single cat. Mine was a little underpowered but it was set up as a tuna boat. Center console walk around pilot house. It would cruise at about 17kts. Great stable boat for what we do in and around the sound. The way mine was set up was a little bow heavy so it would plow a little.

Hooper likes this.
  14. Hooper

Hooper Captain

Spoke with the broker, seemed like a good guy on the phone, here's what I learned. It is 375hp, approximately 2,800 hours, new injectors, 220 gallons (not 20) in original tank, built as single engine boat (replaced a Perkins), 20 kt cruise "if you run her hard". My guess is 16-17 maybe. On the hard right now. New electronics, ez2cy & hardtop.

May sneak a peek on Thursday.

So what say you Cat guru's? This 23 year old engine with 2800 hrs? Trouble? Of course it depends on how hard/hot she was run and how well she was cared for.... I am intrigued though, really like the layout. Would be a perfect Monomoy rip boat.

Wish I had just kept my Seaworthy 28!!!

15. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

Hope it works out for you, maybe I'm too optimistic but I really think this might be a diamond in the rough.

16. Hooper

Hooper Captain

Thanks Frank! It might be, we'll see. I am very leery of buying a 23 year old diesel engine to be honest. I cannot take on a engine that will blow up up me in a 6 months.

17. Cookie

Cookie Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay
    I had a 29' Vineyard Hawk w/ twins heavy built great boat.

18. Hooper

Hooper Captain

Impossible question maybe.....

In a worst case scenario, let's say the Cat implodes on me. Can anyone give me an idea of what would it cost me to rebuild that engine? Another rebuilt Cat?

19. petrel

petrel Captain

Boat Make:
    56' DMR, 31' BHM
    Why not have someone go through the Cat first. New head gaskets, go through the valves, and see what you've got. Lot less chance of a fuck up that way and you'd spend less on an overhaul if necessary than if you had a catastrophic engine failure.

20. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Captain

I have a 31 year old engine that has Never let me down. Old engines are plain and simple, and built with heave iron. Sink them, over heat them, and they will keep on going. New stuff is a different animal. Old engines can take the abuse like a red headed step child.

christah28 and CEShawn like this.