Cummins engine paint recommendations

CaseyMarie

Boat Make
Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
Any recommendations on engine paint for my 6BT? Looking to match the Cummins color, but not sure if I need a high heat resistant paint, or anything else. Can anyone make a recommendation? Are their cheaper alternatives than buying paint from Cummins?

Thanks
Stu

BS4.jpg

Genius

Captain
What color I think there are two? A white white and an almond white. I used the almond white for my cummins 250, off the shelf at a hardware store. Perfect match.

CaseyMarie

Boat Make
Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
Mine is an off white, 1989 model year; not sure if that matters? Did you use a high heat resistant paint? Do you remember the brand? It was spray paint, right? Thanks

goin4broke

Captain
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
Looks nice. Must have been a real PITA doing in the boat. Did my own version of the "DuPont overhaul" myself a couple of times with engine out to redo the bilge. Can't remember what I used though. Just remembered it smelled funny! :D

Daysailj

Boat Make
1989 Blue Seas 31
Just noticed your post regarding engine paint. My belt shroud was vibrating, and it drove me nuts. My cousin is an experienced diesel guy, and he laughingly said he’s worked on plenty of Cummins trucks with no belt shroud, and didn’t see any point to it. I was glad I had taken it off when I had to replace my belt on a choppy day in Chesapeake Bay!

TCL

Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
When I do painting in the bilge I set up my shop vac to suck out the fumes. I have 4 sections of hose so that I can suck and blow the exhaust overboard.

I also agree with daysail, I removed the belt guards on my previous boat with 4BT's.

CaptV

I am going to do the same to my engine this week. Will the regular rustoleum hold up all season or is the high heat engine enamel a better option. I did 1350 hours last year and want the best option.

Thanks

CaseyMarie

Boat Make
Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
I painted this engine last spring. I used the regular Rustoleum paint per the advice given to me on this thread, and mine still looks great after last season.

Genius

Captain
I am going to do the same to my engine this week. Will the regular rustoleum hold up all season or is the high heat engine enamel a better option. I did 1350 hours last year and want the best option.

Thanks
Put it this way... if it doesn’t hold up, you’ve got other issues with moisture that need to be dealt with.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I use good quality engine paint from automotive parts stores. Never had a problem with them.

Jjammer

Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
I found rustoleum gloss white looks good and I hear it holds up well

If you’re painting the whole thing a color match to factory isn’t critical

Pitou

Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
For years I've been using the Cat rattle can Mattehorn white engine paint on my Cummins engines as I never cared for the Cummins paint, but I am moving over to Rustoleum 2X gloss white. Check out this video posted by Rob Schepis a moderator on the Seaboard marine forum -

Last edited:

Quik Fix 16

Boat Make
Shamrock
RE: belts. I always zip tie an extra belt to the engine so that I don't have to take any brackets, hoses, etc off. Makes life a little easier when one goes at sea.