Custom Tackle Center

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac
Looking to get a fiberglass tackle center made, approx 20 inch wide front, 36 height, 36 depth. Drawers on sliding metal hardware, approx. 20 inch length, maybe 4-6 inch depth. No door, but would have front push buttons.

Have a quote from Nautical Design in Pennsylvania. Trying to get Custom Marine Plastics in Rhide Island to call or email back. Sent an email to Boat Outfitters in Florida.

Would look like this but without the sink. New rear helm controls will go where sink is. Front to look like pic.

Any others I should try?

8099683A-8836-4FB7-9F47-A70584692CB7.jpeg
D0D51973-D367-4ADA-B4F4-67CDFC2AFDBC.jpeg

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Had good luck from boat outfitters but horrid products from Nautical design that I posted about with pics long ago. Maybe they changed or are better but be careful and do not just believe their promises and open and CHECK before accepting shipment!! That does go with any of them nowadays though many shipping companies absolutely suck, they will get blamed for design issues. Good Luck

Kenneth

I would think King Starboard would be a better material for this application, i realize its not cheap stuff (neither is good fiberglass work) but if assembled with good joinery it would last a lifetime. I'm going to design and cut one on my CNC router table when the Dyer project is done and while i understand the desire for kitchen cabinet type slides i'm going to try and cut dado tracks for the starboard drawer bottoms to slide in that way corrosion is never a problem and the drawers are not sliding with the wave action.

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac
Had good luck from boat outfitters but horrid products from Nautical design that I posted about with pics long ago. Maybe they changed or are better but be careful and do not just believe their promises and open and CHECK before accepting shipment!! That does go with any of them nowadays though many shipping companies absolutely suck, they will get blamed for design issues. Good Luck
Well Nautical Design talks a good game, imho a very high quote though. Calling boat outfitters today.

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac
I would think King Starboard would be a better material for this application, i realize its not cheap stuff (neither is good fiberglass work) but if assembled with good joinery it would last a lifetime. I'm going to design and cut one on my CNC router table when the Dyer project is done and while i understand the desire for kitchen cabinet type slides i'm going to try and cut dado tracks for the starboard drawer bottoms to slide in that way corrosion is never a problem and the drawers are not sliding with the wave action.
Good point on the slides, had not considered corrosion. I had an older tackle center made with the dado tracks and it just didn’t slide well at all. Maybe the people who made it.

Kenneth

Could be workmanship, could be the material used or just a poor design and so far I have not used the product but there are several items on the wish list for the Dyer that i intent to make out of starboard. I have been researching King Starboard for a couple of months to make a specialty line of RTA cabinets and its my understanding that dado type slides in that material get slicker the more its used, kind of like old wood slides used in kitchen cabinets decades ago. I believe somewhere in their website literature or videos they refer to the product as self lubricating but I could easily be confusing that with the literature in the Mermaid of the Day section.

EZ1

Boat Make
Freya
I wouldn't be afraid to use Starboard for drawer slides, as long as you design them properly.

Mike at Custom Marine Plastics does beautiful work. He is not the easiest to get a hold of. You will be happy with the result as he has a lot experience in designing and building tackle centers

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac
Mike at Custom Marine Plastics does beautiful work. He is not the easiest to get a hold of. You will be happy with the result as he has a lot experience in designing and building tackle centers
Well I sent an email, he responded with one question, I responded, haven’t heard from him since, a week. His phone voicemail is full. I see them at shows, like the website and endorsements, he’s close, would love to talk to him but have to move on to others.

Boat Make
19' custom wooden skiff
A point of note, in many cases people that do good work are not always the ones that spend a lot of time on their phones and computers. In the early days of joining the web, one was supposed to have a web page, which allowed folks out of the region to shop. This created a scenario of time wasting answering questions and doing quotes to no avail.

Now I am witnessing that some of the better shops have web pages that goes months without an updates, as they are too busy these days with work, especially the smaller operations. Whether this is the case or not with Custom Marine Plastics or not I don't know. Word of mouth and speaking to previous customers can give you an insight into what to expect if possible. This will tell you if its worth what may appear to be a hassle.

wendell

I would include Powers Boatworks in your search. They're based out of NC and are an OEM supplier for Jones Brothers and Onslow Bay and a couple others. The interactions I've had with them have been great.

Hobie1

Boat Make
35’ donelle / 15’ hobie power skiff
Had good results with boat outfitters used full extension stainless hardware, everything is sealed with a rubber bulb gasket, had the issues. Have a small tractor with pallet forks to off load freight delivery for a unit that size.

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac
A point of note, in many cases people that do good work are not always the ones that spend a lot of time on their phones and computers. In the early days of joining the web, one was supposed to have a web page, which allowed folks out of the region to shop. This created a scenario of time wasting answering questions and doing quotes to no avail.

Now I am witnessing that some of the better shops have web pages that goes months without an updates, as they are too busy these days with work, especially the smaller operations. Whether this is the case or not with Custom Marine Plastics or not I don't know. Word of mouth and speaking to previous customers can give you an insight into what to expect if possible. This will tell you if its worth what may appear to be a hassle.
Thanks, your comments are spot on. By pure luck I found one place, told them they didn’t show up on google etc, they said that’s ok, they have more business than they can handle.

Fishonnelsons

Captain
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
Boat Make
38 Wesmac
Last edited: