Custom Tackle Center

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Fishonnelsons, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Thanks. I kept looking at that space, wondering what I could do. We thought about moving the ladder, but it would have messed up the port side sitting area, plus a lot more $$ to glass in the old hole in floor of bridge and make a new hole. The swinging cabin door to starboard was really messing us up, would have to close door to cabin, access the space, then open door back up, etc etc. By making it a sliding door, got rid of that issue. Also thought about a whole new ladder type. Put tackle center in that spot, but have first few steps of ladder built into the center, then ladder from center up to to bridge. Good concept but my customers really enjoy going up on the bridge, especially coming in from a trip, and I couldn’t see some of my “larger” customers navigating that safely.

Got the idea from this boat. We didn’t have as much room between ladder and side for the tackle center, so had to eliminate wheel and go with jog lever. I will use rear helm only when docking, maybe fighting a tuna, or moving 50 yards here and there to stay on top of a school of fish.

Attached Files:

2. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Finally remembered, these numbers are approximate - 9” wide, 32 “ long, 20” deep. We think around 25 gallons but I really didn’t do the math. Would have liked it wider, but my transom is not really wide and I did not want it coming out into the deck space. The pic with the tall piece of metal and the holes in it is where the water will come out to fill the tank and circulate the water. Test it in the Spring, might have to make the holes bigger to get the right circulation.

Attached Files:

ErikT likes this.
  3. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Ok, here’s the door set-up. They used the original door, did glass work on the bottom and added two big roller wheels. Glassed in track up and down, tricky part was by the window. The window folds up and latches, gives great customer communication and airflow. I did not want a door/window frame on the upper port side of the door frame, so they worked around that. Basically built a fiberglass frame for the whole thing, extending maybe 2 inches out from the aft cabin wall.

Attached Files:

Toolate likes this.
  4. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Ok, last but not least. Finished tackle center. Plus, rear helm station. Lower door, pull out drawer, autopilot, on/off buttons, electronic shifter, electronic toggle lever for steering. After you use it, slide it back in so customers don’t hit it.Will use it primarily for backing into the slip, backing down on fish, or moving 50-100 yards here and there to stay over a school of striped bass. Forgot the bowthruster control, will have to probably put it on top of tackle center, aft starboard corner, we will see.

Attached Files:

Toolate, StowIt, goin4broke and 4 others like this.
  5. Captinlon

Captinlon Senior Member

Boat Make:
    32 H & H
    Im in the middle of doing the same on transom with live well and door. Could you show me how you set yours up, thanks

6. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Slick setup on that rear station.

7. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Not sure of the question. As far as plumbing, water hose is hidden under transom, then goes into rod holder storage on port side and up close to rear cabin wall, where I have a faucet control within the rod holder area, which then goes back to pump down below.

I believe Nauset made a three sided well, with the fourth wall being the inside wall of the transom. It hangs from the transom, with about 3-4 inches clearance between the bottom of it and the deck, so you can put your toes under it. Let me know if you want more close up pics of it, they are ready to shrink wrap her but I can get them. As far as steps of construction, ask me some specific questions and I’ll talk to the guy who did it. Maybe I can get his number and ask him if he wouldn’t mind talking to you?

8. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    I know, thanks. Really came out above and beyond. Original thought was to have a small wheel, build a fiberglass structure straddling that sloping piece of fiberglass on the starboard side because their wasn’t much room for a wheel, etc., and put everything their. Couldn’t put one on transom because of live well. Bill from Land and Sea Communications suggested the jog lever idea, I resisted and resisted, always had a wheel on rear helm stations, but for what my use would be jog lever seemed like it would work. Easier installation, no hydraulic line tie in, just wires. As far as it on a drawer, credit to John Crobar from Holdfast Marine Systems for planting the seed with his great hidden front helm he installed on his 24’ Rampage center console. The idea of hidden, use, then put it out of the way, stuck, then Dave at Nauset, his guys, Bill, me looking at a lot of pics on the internet and we got this.

9. Captinlon

Captinlon Senior Member

Boat Make:
    32 H & H
    I apologize just reread my post and noticed I didn't ask what I wanted to know. lol To the left of the livewell I see a cut on the transom, Is that a dive door and if so how is hinged for to lift up without blinding, if that makes since? Everyone is telling me I have to cut it on a angle, but not sure if I do if I have to. More pictures would be great if you had them, thanks

10. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    Well thought out!

Fishonnelsons likes this.
  11. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Sorry to be a bother, do you have any pictures of the plumbing?

Fishonnelsons likes this.
  12. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Dive door, or tuna door as we call them. Whole door swings outward. Top of door is not a separate section which folds up and then down on top of livewell. That whole top of door is still the door and swings outward with the door. They are going to shrink wrap her in the next few days, if I get down there I’ll take some open/closed door shots, angle, hinges etc

13. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Next time I’m down I’ll get some more

ErikT likes this.
  14. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Thanks, took at least four months of looking, talking with others, internet searches, internet boats, everyone’s opinions, measuring etc etc. Everyone was so focused on moving the ladder, glassing up the bridge deck hole, new shaped ladder etc etc. The boat was laid out well so moving the ladder would force something else, then something else, etc.

This project really demonstrated to me the importance of fully listening to other people’s opinions, as well as the great benefits of this website relative to ideas, possible vendors to use, etc etc

ErikT and tunaorlater like this.
  15. StowIt

StowIt Member

You just solved one more of my problems. I was trying to figure out how to incorporate all of that gear into a tackle center. A guy from Plymouth turned me on to the idea of using a toggle and throttle hidden away. Who made the box for you? Thanks

16. StowIt

StowIt Member

I also noticed that you have engine air intake at the bottom of the box. What did you put on the port side of the cockpit? another tackle center?

17. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    8D152190-0C1E-442B-8080-D973C20B175E.jpeg
    About Us | Boat Outfitters

These guys made the drawer unit and the door for the rear helm station. All exact dimensions provided by Nauset. Boat outfitters were very nice, flexible and fast, less than two weeks, I think their whole price was around $1800, which I thought was pretty good as I was getting much larger quotes. Nauset then took the drawer unit, positioned it, and then made the custom fiberglass shell around it.

On the port side I have a big cooler I use for the striped bass, as I don’t have a built in fish box. Normally a customer or two plop their butt down to sit on it. That shelf above it is normally folded down flush to the wall and the window above is swung open and latched to cabin ceiling.

Attached Files:

18. StowIt

StowIt Member

Sorry, I started reading from the end of the thread. You bought the tackle stations from Boat Outfitters in FL(?) and had the yard install them in a glassed enclosure. and it looks like you did the same thing on the port side. correct?
    Did BO also build the slide for the controls?

19. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Yes, I picked out the aspects I wanted from Boat Outfitters and told them exactly what I wanted - number of drawers, height, width, hardware, etc etc. they custom made the drawer unit. They also made only the door for the drawer unit, not the drawer itself. Then Nauset built the shell. Port side has no storage, just cooler. In the first post their is a picture of a tackle center on the port side, that’s not my boat, just an example of what I found on the internet when looking around for ideas.
    Boat Drawer Units | Marine Drawers | Drawers for Boats

Attached Files:

20. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Fishonnelsons you have a very beautiful boat. I did the same thing as you. Had boat outfitters build me a cabinet. Great workmanship.