Custom Tackle Center

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Fishonnelsons, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Thank you. Yes, I was very pleased with the product and service.

2. Backnaction

Backnaction Senior Member

I had this one done by boat outfitters, it’s built out of two stock units. The stock units were $2100 delivered to have them engineer a similar unit that was basically the same size was $4500. They are a good company and nice folks, but the engineering fees are beyond justifiable.

Attached Files:

capt38 and Downrigga like this.
  3. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    That’s great you could get a “stock” item times two, great price. I guess my engineering wasn’t major, or they forgot to charge me! My overall and drawer dimensions were custom, width and length, and the aft station door was totally new. They also sent me drawings of them. I wasn’t sure if I should go with the Plano box style, looking at yours I really do like it.

Your new boat is awesome by the way!

Backnaction likes this.
  4. Backnaction

Backnaction Senior Member

Thanks! I’m getting close to wrapping up the list of “changes” she’s very basic and that’s exactly why I bought her. I looked for a long time and everything was either too fishy or too yachty. Lifting rails are happening this week, prop next week and back in the water.

5. capt38

capt38 Member

Boat Make:
    31' Eastern
    Both of these units are beautiful, functional and appear well built. I had been looking around for a tackle center before seeing these, and have contacted Boat Outfitters for one of my own. They are taking a standard unit and making it a freestanding model. The cost is a little more but worth it for the finished product. Thanks for posting!

Fishonnelsons and Backnaction like this.
  6. StowIt

StowIt Senior Member

Real Estate; Retired Unlimited Mate and Engineer
    Boat Make:
    Dyer 29 Bass, Boston Whaler 17 Montauk, building 38 flowers
    Have you been happy with the aft steering station now that you’ve had a chance to use it? I’m building a boat in Orleans. Where do you keep your boat? I thought you said Provincetown? I’d like to take a look at your setup since I’m thinking of doing something similar.
    Thanks

7. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    I am in Ptown, anytime, cell 860-716-0202. Your boat at Cape and Islands, which one?

On the station, I love aft stations, would always have one. Mine - love the hidden away aspect. I’m not in love with the jog lever linked to the autopilot for steering though. It does save space, and easy installation. One issue was at low low speeds the rudder was hardly moving, so we needed to switch the hydraulic oil steering lines on the pump. I guess their is a higher output and lower output port on the pump, so the high output now pushes the rudder at low speeds while the low output works more at high speeds, where your turns/course corrections are more minor. Jog lever ok out on the water, fighting a fish, spot to spot, haven’t used it yet to backdown into slip, just not confident yet in using it. My space was limited, hindsight if I could have squeezed a small steering wheel in there I might have done that.

8. tunafishhkg

tunafishhkg Captain

Boat Make:
    35 Duffy
    love my FU lever for my stern station and have no issues fighting Giants due to steering. Should be able to set high or low speed if you want through settings If its an issue at least with simrad, At very least learning what you can do will help since timing is everything in the end game. A FU lever known position allows you to adjust for common actions of Giants for example, easily go to center rudder while fish is dogging straight but can turn either way giving quicker reaction rather than hard port to hard starboard if you just waited. IMHO

StowIt and Plastered like this.
  9. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Had to look fu up, thanks.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s...rfacing_and_installation/nfu_and_fu_final.pdf

I believe we talked about that option prior to install, can’t remember, I’ll have to think about this and see if I should switch. I have Garmin.

10. themoose

themoose Senior Member

Boat Make:
    duffy
    Looks like a great job. I need a console built.
    Could you give the name of this builder.
    Thank You