Cutlass bearing removal

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by maineguides, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Jerry's right - the studs are glassed in, no need to access the wet keel compartment.

Jerry, removing the cutlass housing leaves the shaft connected to the transmission and passing through the stuffing box where the majority of the shaft length is cantilevering to the prop. Does the shaft have to be propped up or otherwise cradled at the deadwood to keep it from distorting the stuffing box?

2. Downeast Deadrise

Downeast Deadrise Member

Boat Make:
    Duffy 35 "MATINICUS" CAT 3208TA 375
    Sounds like a plan. Three of the 4 fasteners are studs with a double nut and one is a bolt. It appears that other boats are that way as well. Any thoughts on why? If the studs start turning I will have to cut an access hole in the keel to get a wrench on the nuts right? I will start with the bolt and see how thing go.

3. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Yes, and I would say I am 100% right. This DE’s are put together 1000 different ways....maybe even more. Different schools of thought, different needs, etc.

4. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    A word of advice I learned from others; the nuts are a good size so it's easy to get a big socket on them and start cranking them loose. However, with the best intentions, these nuts are sometimes stainless steel which can be subject to galling. Apply a lubricating oil (PB Blaster or your favorite) and go slowly. If they start to bind, retighten, clean the threads and/or apply a little heat to the nut to expand it before another go at it.

Diesel Jerry likes this.
  5. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

If you really start feeling like you have no clue STOP. Call a boat yard. I have seen many boat owners cost themselves a lot of money venturing into something they had no clue about.

6. Genius

Genius Captain

That’s not what I’ve seen. Can’t imagine getting the housing off with the threads still there. Another reason to leave it be.

7. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

The ones I have taken off came of easy. Much better than removing the shaft.

Genius likes this.