Does Permatex Liquid Electrical Tape have a place on your boat?

Old Mud

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Ho Made

goin4broke

Captain
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
Wouldn't be my first choice. In a pinch sure but given the drying time required not really practical for multiple joints or quick repairs on the fly as you end up with black shit getting all over the place. In the electrical field it's very old school. Used to use it on underground hand spices. Everything compression crimp and is cold shrink now and so much faster.

Brooksie

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Had an outboard that squirrels for into over winter and chewed up many wires. Repaired them all, even plug wires, with it and used motor for years.

goin4broke

Captain
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
Had an outboard that squirrels for into over winter and chewed up many wires. Repaired them all, even plug wires, with it and used motor for years.
Yes that would be one situation it would be worth dealing with the potential mess.

Brooksie

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
No mess really, but you have to build it up in several layers. I had shrink tubing and marine shrink tubing on hand too but I would have had to cut the plugs off the wires to get it on. So the liquid was well worth the time to apply several coats.

Andyf32

I used to use it under the non adhesive heat shrink tubing. I don't use it much now except for when insulation gets removed from a wire as stated above.

Pequod

Boat Make
Shamrock 246 Open
I learned about this while watching Motor Week on PBS. Would you use this on your wire connections? Most all of my wire connections are done with terminal blocks. Might be over kill but could put liquid tape over heat shrink to keep moisture out?

Permatex® Liquid Electrical Tape
Terminal block(s), Yes!
Liquid tape , fugetaboutit!

I always prefer using a terminal block and captive spade connectors with a lexan cover over the terminal block.

Kailua Kid

Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
I learned about this while watching Motor Week on PBS. Would you use this on your wire connections? Most all of my wire connections are done with terminal blocks. Might be over kill but could put liquid tape over heat shrink to keep moisture out?

Permatex® Liquid Electrical Tape
I use heat shrink connectors. I have the liquid tape and have used it once, on some micro connections. It seems to be keeping the moisture out but looks terrible. I suppose you get better at applying it if you use it a few times. I am glad I have it in “the tool box” as an option, but I do not plan to use liquid tape in lieu of heat shrink connectors.

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Aamarine

I use heat shrink connectors. Amazon has them at a good price. Main thing is when you crimp that you don’t damage heat shrink and to to over heat them. I use hundreds of them a week at work on patrol boats with zero issues.

Top Bottom