Drag settings

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Bill, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Bill

Bill Administrator

Boat Make:
    27 Terry Jason
    What are you guys running for drag at hook up / mid fight / end game ? I’m using 150lb gear and circle hooks mostly with CMS longs .. lost a 3hr battle the other day and want to be confident at end game that I’m not putting to much or too little pressure .. Drags are set at 40lb at strike penn 130s..thanks in advance

Bill,
  2. cb34

cb34 Captain

I fish 175 strike 48-50 max 62

cb34,
    Kailua Kid and Bill like this.
  3. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    I fish 30 to 35 on strike fight at 35 and if more than an hour (and I don’t think the fish I huge ) I slowly bring up to 50 sometimes more. Whenever I go over I will back off to 35 when I get color or 5 or 6 fathoms. I use 200 #

Kailua Kid, Plastered and Bill like this.
  4. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

shimano130, 35 at strike. hand brake toward end to turn em in the pinwheel. seldom need to go over that. 1.5-2 hr fight ave.

Kailua Kid and Plastered like this.
  5. SPINE-A-LINER

SPINE-A-LINER Member

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 36'
    Penn 130, 40 at strike, 30 when header is off reel and into braid backing. 150-180 leader. 90% circle hooks. Reel EZ rods. No owner mutus. They break much to my dismay! Trokars, hyabusa, and gamas. My reels are right around 50 on top of the button if fight goes longer than 2 hours. I had a 24 hour battle last year and had full for 3.5 hours plus palming. He dumped my reel 25x's so bad that I had to turn and chase to get a safe amount of line back on the reel. 75 lbs plus of drag. I cut the line. He won. I saw him a few times and threw(hailmary) the stick once after the first 10 hours. He was hooked in the mouth but the leader was wrapped around his pec fin. He had every law of physics on his side!! Hope that never happens again!! awful

Kailua Kid, Old Mud and Bill like this.
  6. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Strike depends on how I'm fishing. Live bait I back off to 25 lb for the strike. Trolling I will do 35 to 40 lbs at strike. During the fight I put the boots to it and I am up over 50. Does not bother me to go higher. I back off when it's in the death spiral. I don't think there is any one correct answer.

Old Mud likes this.
  7. leaky

leaky Captain

Over time we have set strikes between 30 & 45 lbs. One really good fisherman sets his at 45 lbs and has fished nothing but 130 lb leader since back when people were still using mono and says "if you do not fight them on 45 lbs don't even bother".. another says "just stay attached" and sets his at 30 lbs on strike and bumps them up every half hour in 1/2 inch increments.

What we found for bluefin is we hardly ever get a fish until we have pushed the drag up to something that results in around 42 or so. We began starting there, however you gotta be Jonny on the spot when that fish hits and takes it under the boat at those settings - back that off quick, doesn't matter to what, just not free spool.. and if the line has taken a wrap on the tip or something you will not get lucky and have it slip a bit w/ 42 lbs.. Soooo there is something to be said for starting off at 30 lbs of drag or even less, or if that means you set the strike at 45 and leave it down from strike when waiting for a bite.

Usually I'm fishing on someone else's boat and the guy running the boat wants to jack the drag up when I feel it's pre-emptive, and I tend to resist until I see the fish has calmed down. A crazy fish and too much drag, they find ways to pull hooks and part lines. By calmed down I mean I want an up and down tug of war where the fish isn't making much for runs or rolling around (getting its fins tangled up in the line, tail hitting the line etc..).. If the fish is calm then does stupid shit or makes a strong run, drag gets backed off, if the fish gets the spool down (so the drag goes up) the drag gets backed off, anything abnormal other than up and down tug of war I back it off. In the final death circle if the fish is calm I'll leave it where it's been (be it at strike or over it).. During the fight sometimes I pull on the spool a bit to feed line out based on how I feel the rod tip is doing, that's the drag-meter, you get a feeling for if you can take line or are about to start giving line based on the bend in the rod.. Sometimes I may leave the drag as-is but will add a little friction when it makes sense with my index finger and thumb (like I'm pinching the line, adding a couple lbs) to keep the fish from using it's weight to slowly creep line out.

Jon

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Kailua Kid and Plastered like this.
  8. leaky

leaky Captain

I guess the other thing to mention is that at the beginning of the fight, within reason (ie 30 versus 40 lbs say) it does not make a huge difference what you have your drags at. As the fish gets tired though just adding a few lbs can make the difference between an up and down battle going on for hours and having them come to the surface - like humans I guess, if you are exhausted then any additional required effort can stop you dead.

Plastered likes this.
  9. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

a lot of people also forget...when the spool gets smaller, you gotta back off on the drag because it takes more force to unwind a smaller diameter spool than a larger one. so i tend to start low and crank it up as he gets closer and the spool starts to fill.

Kailua Kid likes this.
  10. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Put the boots to it. It ain't gonna break.

tuna_fan likes this.
  11. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

LOL - I wish i had your confidence... ive never popped a crimp at half or less spool...but i have pulled and bent hooks by not backing off a little when the spool gets small.:)

12. leaky

leaky Captain

What's gonna break when you over do it is usually the hookset or leader where its taking a hard angle on the fish. Hook in the jaw and nothing goofy and/or heavy enough leader you are good. 130 lb and gut hooked, or if your hookset is on a weak spot, and you might create a "chafe off" or pulled hook that wouldnt otherwise happen - of course time increases your odds too and thats what you are trying to balance.

Kailua Kid and tuna_fan like this.
  13. buca18

buca18 Member

Firefighter
    Boat Make:
    Eastern 24'
    I set my Shimano 50 stand up gear 35 at strike. Biggest fish to date is 86". 35 minutes till it was at the boat.

14. Fishydogypoo

Fishydogypoo New Member

Fixen everyone busted shit
    Boat Make:
    The one on youre fuckin numbers that aren't your's
    40 until DEATH begins back off just a wee bit during the spin and the shtick.

15. SeacoastNH

SeacoastNH Member

Shimano 130. Strike set at 42. Hookup around 25, hand drag and slowly crank up until color. Average fight is 90 minutes. If its a small fish and we're getting to the end, we will take it up to 50 and crank it in.

Bill and Kailua Kid like this.