DYI inspection hatches?

MAArcher

Can't believe the prices for inspection hatches. And can't even find a screw out one bigger than 8". Does anyone have any ideas or plans for a DYI hatch? I was thinking of grabbing a piece of 12"x12" aluminum diamond plate from home depot and some aluminum angle and welding something up but before I do was just wondering if anyone has already gone down this road.

Purpose of this hatch will be to access bilge. Prior owner of a skiff I have replaced transom and back half of deck and glassed it all in but hadn't put a hatch in yet. A little $20 8" plastic hatch would probably be fine to get a pump in there but I'd really prefer something like 12" x 12",

RobBaker

Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
Check out armstrongnautical.com

Snake8

There are a few marine salvage places around you can find hatches but in my experience they are not cheap enough to justify one that leaks or the threads bind up. I would also stay away from any plastic ones bigger than 9" round, like those rectangle bomar ones. I think I went through three of them over 10-15 years on my old boat and I wish I had just bought a nice anchor hatch. It sucks, but with hatches you get what you pay for. The really good water tight ones will set you back. Having said all that, for a bilge pump inspection hatch on a non-commercial boat that is not in a high traffic area, those round plastic ones are not terrible and they are cheeeep. BTW just sent you my cell for that venison recipe.

John Hobby

Boat Make
2000 Eastern 2710, 6BT Cummins
Did you try Beckson. They have some low profile deck hatches. Bomar makes a 10" round, 9" ID, white for $58.00, also other rectangle sizes. Look in Hamilton Marine.

Top Bottom