Evolution drive

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by IfishHard718, Oct 27, 2019.

1. IfishHard718

IfishHard718 Senior Member

Finance/100 Ton Master
    Boat Make:
    38' Duffy -650 hp Mack e7
    Hey guys!! Can someone explain to me the functionalities of the evolution drive and how it works and purpose...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. Genius

Genius Captain

Turn it on? It's a system to isolate the engine from any thrust. I always thought it was a neat system. Had a thrust bearing and u joints to connect to the engine which would sit on rubber isolators. Shaft tube I believe is oil filled. Some people have issues with the seals getting wiped out by fishing line.

IfishHard718 likes this.
  3. IfishHard718

Finance/100 Ton Master
    Boat Make:
    I have a switch on the 12v panel to turn evolution drive on. After doing so water pumps over the side when it's on.

Attached Files:

4. Genius

Genius Captain

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  5. IfishHard718

Finance/100 Ton Master
    Boat Make:

Attached Files:

Genius likes this.
  6. Genius

Genius Captain

That's pretty cool!

IfishHard718 likes this.
  7. Genius

Genius Captain

I've got a switch on the workboat that says "entertainment system"....it turns on the hydraulic pump. :cool:

8. IfishHard718

Finance/100 Ton Master
    Boat Make:
    :D:D:D
    When i picked The boat up. I went To fuel up before the 12 hour steam home. When i was At the fuel dock i noticed the water pumping over the side. I called The previous owner and asked what was pumping with the boat off. He responded that it's the evolution drive. ;) I asked What it does and how it works. He said that he does not know much about the system but only knows it's good to turn on when going long distances. The previous owner owned the boat about 7 years. The boat was purchased as the Susan B and renamed to Bank Tank. DEBF member HUNTA and his brother finished the boat and sold it in 2012. This is as much as i know

9. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Maybe cooling for the evolution system? Not that I would think it would have to be cooled. We have a boat with that system in it. It is neat, but a little over the top.

10. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Yeah, I've never seen a cooling system for an evo drive. The shaft rotating in an oil-filled bath doesn't generate any heat that requires cooling. Find out where that overboard discharge is going back to and have a look.

Btw, boats with double cardan joints, u-joints or cv joints sometimes have a steel safety hoop or "cage" in case one of the joints fails. Unrestrained, the free end of the shaft will whip around and can literally tear open the hull.

11. IfishHard718

Finance/100 Ton Master
    Boat Make:
    Wow that makes sense. I'm trying to find what the cage looks like. Not much info on the evo drives. EMSS doesn't show any of the evo's with the cage on it.

12. Robert Jackson

Robert Jackson Member

Retired Deputy Fire Chief / EMT
    Boat Make:
    BMH 32
    My safety guard is a 1/4 inch thick SST bracket with a 4 inch or so radius cut in it so it captures the shaft if the U joint fails.

Just change the gear oil in the shaft via the pressure tank each season and you are good. Grease the U joints too. I've got a full write up from the manufacturer on how to maintain it. Ellis Boat has parts lists and service available last I knew.

Mine is vintage 1994 and still holds 2 PSI in the system.

Take care to loosen the prop nut by pulling up, not down so as to not wreck the needle bearings. (per Ellis)

13. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I would highly suggest you learn all you can about the EVO drive if your boat has one.
    One of those things people love or hate and it seems to me that a lot of it both ways is hearsay.
    I would tend to believe the hearsay that repairs can be expensive so maintenance is paramount.
    Let us know where the water is coming from.

Old Mud likes this.
  14. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Maybe someone decided it would need cooling in a dry keel ?:)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  15. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    This is the most entertaining post in a while and has me curious! I nearly pissed myself with the entertainment system for the hauler!

16. sockeye

sockeye Senior Member

Boat Make:
    BHM 31
    It would definitely be a good idea to determine the source of the pumping water.

My boat had been retrofit with an Evolution Drive. It did not have a water cooling system, at least not actively pumped. Once a wet keel boat with a conventional shaft, the old keel holes had been sealed for the ED install but both the outside bearing and thrust bearing were loose so there was a continuous flow of water through the keel into the boat. My thrust bearing looked slightly different (older model?) and had been secured to the bulkhead with two steel bolts, top and bottom. Having been bathed in sea water, they had rusted to almost nothing. There were no restraints over the Cardan shaft so it was a disaster waiting to happen once one or both of those bolts finally failed. There was a manual for the system onboard which included a warning that restraints over the shaft were necessary to prevent "catastrophic damage".

Having been a poor installation with no proper maintenance, with all seals leaking oil and the thrust bearing too rusty to service, I was looking at an $8K rebuild. I also found only one place that thought they may be able to service the Cardan shaft for an additional $2K. The ED company would not do it. I decided to remove the whole mess and replace it with a new conventional shaft/tube assembly for $2K.

A good system in theory but unnecessarily complicated and expensive. And after all the expense and maintenance you still end up with steel in the bilge.

17. Paul Gavaza

Paul Gavaza Member

OCIMF SIRE Inspector Retired Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    Black Horse 33
    I have one and there is no cooling, for sure. I replaced the outer seals, carrier and O ring last season ( the needle bearings were fine) and intend to do the same on the front this year. There are bearings and a fwd/astern thrust bearing on the front end and seals. Mine is an early one (1999) with a head pressure tube for the shaft tube and a single head tube for the front bearing assembly. Yours is the later unit, and will have three head tubes and a drain plug on the aft bearing housing, which mine doesn't.

Soundown in Salem is the supplier.

Robert Jackson likes this.
  18. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    SOMEwhere out there on the internet is a photo of the one was thinking of, but this one from Tony Athen's site will do...
    Also seen sometimes on v-drives which use this type of shafting/joints. safety hoop.jpg

19. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    I'm sure Evo can cite some advantages beyond just NVH reduction, but the folks here tend to favor simplicity and ease of service over the complex. However, I really like the idea of reducing fatigue on the boat and crew in which case, I think a conventional shaft, shaft tube and stuffing box with a Aquadrive thrust bearing would be the best of both worlds. Just wish that last piece didn't run around $8k for the part alone... :confused:

Old Mud likes this.
  20. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    I agree. As much as I am a techie. If you are stepping into that realm of separating the engine from the drivetrain to reduce vibration anAqua drive is a good pick.