External strainer only?

Jjammer

Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Anyone here run the Buck Algonquin mesh screen strainers and ditch the internal perko/groco type?

I see some people are fans of that approach.

Jjammer

Boat Make
I searched old threads and see a fair amount of guys run these...do you have to clean them out mid-season or do they last the Summer without fouling? Only downside is access to clean them.

Boat will be in Pen Bay and Merrimack.

Thanks all.

Fishinengineer

Boat Make
Duffy
I've had a south bay for years, never even bother to open the in-line Groco anymore. South Bay catches everything. Doesn't need to be cleaned as everything falls off, however when the boat is hauled I pull the screen and give it a muriatic soak, the holes will get some growth and reduce the flow through the screen.

El Mar

Captain
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
All the ocean yachts out there are built this way since '77. They work fine and "self" clear with big water hungry Detroits in them.

You can always flush from the inside if needed but 30 years with our old boat we never needed to.

BillD

Captain
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Had these strainers on my 1998 twin 370 Blackfin Combi.
Have one on the 25 T Jason and the 27 H&H refit will have one.
No BIG strainer inside the engine room.

Same as mentioned above, ZERO issues and yes I slide the screen out every year, wire brush the tiny holes, recoat with light film of bottom paint, "grease the slide ins" and go boating !

Keelboater

Captain
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Are you guys using the regular style screen with holes perpendicular to the surface or the positive flow screen with holes drilled on an angle to enhance flow rate?

Jjammer

Boat Make
I called Buck Algonquin cause I have a regular screen I’d like to use ... they said most boats use the regular screen and the positive flow is geared toward high speed rigs.

Pioneer

Boat Make
25' Columbia Northsider
been using one for 24 years without any problems. I also pull the screen once a year, clean out the holes and put down some fresh bottom paint.

Blitzen

Captain
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
I use one as well but still have the inside strainer. The inside strainer just makes it so easy to flush and winterize the engine. Sure you could do it another way but the inside strainer also allows you to see the flow of water if there was any doubt.

Toolate

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Are you guys using the regular style screen with holes perpendicular to the surface or the positive flow screen with holes drilled on an angle to enhance flow rate?
Mine are square to the surface not angled. Guessing like 100gpm at cruise since its like 40-50 at idle

Quik Fix 16

Boat Make
Shamrock
I use one as well but still have the inside strainer. The inside strainer just makes it so easy to flush and winterize the engine. Sure you could do it another way but the inside strainer also allows you to see the flow of water if there was any doubt.
Me too.

tunaorlater

Captain
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I have both. Only thing I use the inside strainer for is winterizing and running off the hose.

grabichr

Boat Make
31' Innovator
I have both on my boat as well and the inside Groco stays clean all year. Only exception is small shells I find once in a while on the inside strainers.