First Boat Project - 22 Sisu

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by scicca200, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Yesac13

Yesac13 Senior Member

Stretching another 2-3 feet for a 30 footer is not a big deal and believe it or not, Royal Lowell probably have done that many times with his wooden designs (usually during the build process, not after, tho).

Stretching boats isn't common with fiberglass but it was with wood. If you look closely at old designs available for use, the designer will comment it is fine to stretch a hull up to one station mold. Same comments if want a shorter hull.

One station mold is about 2-4 feet for a 30 footer if I remember the wooden boat building system correctly. So 2.5 feet is a minor stretch. And what's more... take a look at new lobster boats... you will see many 45 footers being offered in 46, 48, and 50 foot lengths. It's the same boat but stretched! If the beam is the same, it is literally the same boat. Stretches occur in two ways - a longer stern which is the easy way for a minor stretch. For larger stretches, the hull is cut in the middle or third then stretched (filled in, actually).

That said, stretching or shortening a hull too much is not good. So I can understand your reservations.

2. Pete Brown

Pete Brown Member

The JC35 / Eastern35 is a perfect example to me (another Royal Lowell hull). JC bought some CAD software to extend the 31 and it just isn't near as seaworthy as the original. I hear you on the wooden boat angle. Growing up on Lake Winnepesaukee, I had an opportunity to drive the longest laker built by Goodhue and Hawkins. I think it was 33' with a 5' beam (e.g. don't turn hard or you capsize). the original owner contracted them to build one 3' longer than anyone else's and that's just what they did - stretch the wooden hull 3'. However, cutting into a cored hull (balsa or composite) seems risky to the integrity of the hull and the handling. I can't be sold on it. Doesn't help that my father ran Sisu and Portsmouth, so I am rather biased.

3. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Had a very productive weekend due to a couple of buddies dedicating both days to helping me out. Was also great to see the bulk heads glassed in - my buddy helping with the deck should have the new floor / fuel tank installed within a week or so.

Checked off the list:
    - Hydraulic cylinder attached to the outboard
    - New helm on the console
    - Gunnels faired
    - Hard top rot removed, patched, faired
    - New electrical panel installed on the helm
    - New battery switch and ACR installed
    - Replaced a few gnarly battery cables
    - Console faired
    - Patched what felt like 100 old screw/wire/whatever holes all over the boat
    - Cabin Paint (except floor / benches) (highly recommend the Pettit Cabin Coat - great coverage and dried very fast)
    - Antenna replaced, re-located and attached to hardtop

I have 7 working days planned prior to goal of 7/4 launch. Still to go:
    - Hydraulic steering lines install
    - Final sanding of hardtop
    - Minor sanding here and there to prep for paint
    - Install Deck / fuel tank
    - Install hatches
    - Paint sides / deck / console / hardtop / gunnels
    - Paint cabin floor
    - Install accessories
    - Wire up all accessories to new panel
    - Wire up the new bilge pumps
    - Final zip tie / clean up the wires inside
    - Deck hardware and backing plates
    - Build seat boxes and install

Still a large list so fingers crossed.

Attached Files:

CapeCodNorton likes this.
  4. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Floor is all mocked up!

Attached Files:

jdickau484 and CapeCodNorton like this.
  5. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Does anyone have close up pictures of their 22 sisu cabin door hatch? It's tough to tell from this picture but there is just a piece of acrylic over the cabin door to close up the top. I'm going to build something in the next week or so to replace it but there are no former holes in there so not sure how it was done originally. (hinge placement, gas shocks???)

6. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Nice work so far. Best of luck reaching your launch goal. Nice panel, were did you get it? Brand?

7. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Thanks! Got the panel from new wire marine. A bit more expensive than a DIY but saved me at least a full day of work and it is a very high quality job. I used the e-panel builder on their website to design it and had the panel within 2.5 weeks.

https://newwiremarine.com/

Kailua Kid likes this.
  8. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    thank you.

9. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Deck is down!

Attached Files:

10. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Are you going to form a fiberglass lip around the fuel filter and vent hoses and then put the fiberglass cover back in place from Sisu?

That’s quite a list you have good luck with it keep up the good work

11. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Yes. Something will go there to cover up the bilge and fuel hoses. The previous owner just had a bunch of spray foam around the hole coming out of the old deck. He had gunnel tanks set up and so I don’t have anything from sisu to work with. I’ll need to build a box of some sort. Thinking I’ll make it big enough to also house the wash down hose. Would certainly appreciate ideas / pictures of how this was set up from factory or other ideas.

12. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Seat boxes are made. Need to fill the screw holes and go over all the seams with some epoxy putty, bit more sanding, wood sealer on the rest then prime and paint. Will be a Philly roof top project for after work in between driving back and forth to Toms River to work on the boat itself.

Attached Files:

Kailua Kid and CapeCodNorton like this.
  13. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Deck is done! Spent the day yesterday giving it a good go-over with the sander. Also got holes cut and back-filled in the gunnels for new cleats and rod holders. Finished off the day with a good bath. She's looking good with months of sanding dust gone.
    Remaining:
    - paint!
    - electronics hook up / install
    - seats
    - deck hatches
    - cleats / rod holders install
    - varnish (may wait until post launch)

Finish line is in sight. I took off all next week so hoping weather cooperates and she's in the slip by the 6th.

Attached Files:

Genius, JimRP31 and CapeCodNorton like this.
  14. Genius

Genius Captain

looks good. Just a note on the bilge discharge fittings. It is always good to go up to the underside of the gunwale then down to the fitting. This keeps water from entering your bilge from seas or healing over. If you rotate the elbow 180 degrees and extend the hose up, then back down.:)

15. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Thanks! and good tip. I'll try to make that change prior to glassing in a box to cover the fittings.

16. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Primer is down. Deck could use a few more layers. Will get to that on Monday.

Attached Files:

Kailua Kid, Genius and CapeCodNorton like this.
  17. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Good news and bad news...

The good. Boat is painted, deck hardware installed, seats installed, all electronics hooked up and working. Boat is in the slip and looks great.

The bad. She doesn't go very well... Its a 2001 Honda BF130.

Outboard started acting up jumping up and down in RPM by about 150-200 revolutions in idle and all throughout the RPM range. When under load I can't get it to stay over 2000.

So... I ran a compression test and found the cylinders to be at 190, 195, 175, 200. So not great but all cylinders within 10% of the target range which shouldn't result in the extent of my problem. To continue troubleshooting my buddy and I drained all the fuel lines, checked filters including the screen filter under the high pressure pump in the VST. Also reset the ECM. Idle sounded better after the reset for a short time but once I increased RPM (no load) the same symptoms came back. All connections look good. Plugs look good but some light corrosion on one of them.

My next steps are:
    - new plugs
    - drain some oil (noticed it was filled too high at last change)

If that doesn't work then will try the following in this order
    - new coil wires
    - replace ECM

I have a work order in with my marina to have them check it out as well (including fuel pressure since I don't have a tool for this). They can't get to it for another two weeks though so thinking of any items I can try in the interim. My guess is fuel pressure isn't the issue. The VST was very clean inside.

As always - appreciate any suggestions on how to move forward. I'll get some more pics of the inside up next time I get to her.

Attached Files:

18. jdickau484

jdickau484 Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Pretty demoralizing, after working day and night trying to get her ready. Is it a fuel injected engine? I would try popping the injectors and bring them to a shop to have cleaned. I dealt with a water in fuel problem on a previous boat, and it wasn't until i had my injectors cleaned, that the problem went away. Sounds like similar behavior to what i had, jumpy RPMs and not going over a certain mark.

Kailua Kid likes this.
  19. scicca200

scicca200 Member

Corporate Desk Job
    Boat Make:
    1978 Sisu 22
    Yes - was great to see her floating but tough to not be over that finish line yet.

It is fuel injected. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add injector cleaning to the list. There was definitely water in the old fuel lines so very possible they are gunked up.

20. fordy

fordy Senior Member

I would go right onto Ebay and get the basket filters for your injectors and the filter removal tool.

Fuel additives I think are a waste of time. Gunk/debris need to be mechanically removed.

Kailua Kid likes this.