Fish pot conversion

Discussion in 'Commercial Fishermen's Forum' started by MarketPrice2020, Jan 11, 2020.

1. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

I have a bunch of older lobster pots I am converting over to fish pots.

I know many fish pots have one side closed off and the other side with an "entrance head" of their choosing.

Recently, I was shown to close off all the sides with trap wire and create the entrance at the end of the trap.

I know they both catch, and catching really has to do on where your setting the gear, but does anyone prefer a certain set up? Thanks in advance!

2. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

Also many guys where I fish never bait their fish pots and catch, other people I know to the north bait their fish pots and catch well too.

My only issue with baiting would be if you get a dead fish then load the trap up with spider crabs!

Just curious on everyone's thoughts with fish pots/gear

Thank you

3. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

Any fish pots for sale in the long island area? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 5:02 PM
  4. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

Also looking for ketchum seabass entrance heads, knitted and hog ringed

5. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    We went right up to Ketchum last year and picked up the heads as well as a few traps, probably your best bet.

MarketPrice2020 likes this.
  6. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

Actually just finalized a trip to portland Maine in a few weeks. Going to visit the trap shops and get some supplies and some traps. Thanks for the info about ketchum.

7. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

Also I plan to grab a few of the pots that have bait tubes in them. Will be my first trying bait, but I know a few good fisherman who swear by them.

I always caught in simple design fish pots with knit heads and no bait. I just try to get on the best bottom I can. Very curious how the baited pots compare to the non baited fish pots. Thanks again.

8. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

One of my biggest question is trawls versus single pots.

I know many fish trawls but I am considering setting many single fish pots to cover a lot of ground. Does the weight change in the pots since they are being set single? Or any tips for setting single pots? Thanks!

9. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    learn how to knit your own

10. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    railroad track plates make great weights and i would think hauling & setting back singles wastes a lot of time, maybe fish doubles or triples and spread them out between traps ? What do you have for a boat ?

11. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

I have a good amount of those weights. Thank you for the advice! Still a whole learning experience for me. I like to do doubles. That is my plan right now. But my mind goes crazy thinking about all I want to do lol. I have a small 23ft boat set up with a cheap hauler. I even sometimes hauled single pots by hand. I only set 30 pots or so . I do a lot of pin hooking when the timing is right.

Also you mentioned about making my own heads, you are definitley right I need to do that, the heads I use from ketchum are black knit and have hog rings down the middle and then I install onto the kitchen side of the fish pot, I call them entrance heads. Not sure if that's the right term. I understand experience and learning on my own is the major factor and I'm not trying to get any secrets or anything like that, just some generally advice. Thanks again for the tips and help.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 11:43 PM
  12. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

I saw some of your posts on other fishing website forums, pictures of knots and a bunch of great tips, really nice to see, especially trawl/string trap set up information, really peaked my interest. Nice to see people helping others out . By me you hardly see that at all. Only reason I put 2 and 2 together is because of your boat pic in your avatar. Did you invent those toggles? Those are neat.

13. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

14. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    31 BHM
    Very strange that knit heads would be seamed with hog rings, I'd bet they are cut mesh not hand knit. If a guy knows how to knit then they know how to seam the head. In my personal opinion i'd be ashamed to sell hog ringed heads, very unprofessional looking to me. Buy yourself a Electradyne hauler when you can it will make hauling effortless, set it up with a nice davit also. Learn to build your own traps and get away from buying and fixing old junk, nothing fishes like a new trap and its the trap that makes you the money. The boat only gets you to the job site its fine tuned gear that makes the money.

15. MarketPrice2020

MarketPrice2020 Member

Thank you again for your help and advice!