fridge options?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by leaky, Jul 17, 2019.

1. leaky

leaky Captain

Need to move onto my kitchenette area in the near future, like other things I've got to start sizing up parts. Wondering if you guys have brands/models that worked out for you or didn't - or things to consider on the topic?

After going around in circles some (ie do I want 110 and/or 12 volt, a permanent marine fridge versus a portable, save some $$ on a big rig or RV model, mickey mouse a dorm fridge in there on an inverter etc.. etc..) I think I've come to terms w/ it should be a marine 12 volt model.. I'd like a model that has the little freezer compartment too (keeping a little ice cream is the motivation here :) )..

I'd like about the smallest thing I can find that meets the criteria, purpose is really so that I have a clean place to store perishable condiments without having to constantly re-buy and cart mustard/mayo/relish/ketchup/pickles/cheese/cream back and forth all the time.

Thinking maybe something like this little isotherm - Isotherm CO42RBBAB11111AA | Fisheries Supply

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

2. Henfruit

Henfruit Captain

Depends on which state I am in.
    Boat Make:
    Samson 30
    We have one similar same brand 12v
    On our 36 BHM. Works great. Ran the boat from Nc to Maine plenty of room. Buy small size on items. We also have an in counter freezer. Great for all the center of the plate items. And ice. 12v also

leaky likes this.
  3. starrfish

starrfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35 duffy
    i have had a norcold for 15 years and havent had any issues. the freezer part is very small tho. its 12/110
    off the top of my head i think its a 41 ??

leaky and Genius like this.
  4. junkman

junkman Senior Member

Isotherm is a nice unit and quite reasonable price wise, we went with the 4.5 cu ft 12/110 and the Queen is very pleased with the crisper draw and small freezer. stayed on a mooring for 5 nights and it did not seem to be power hungry at all.

leaky likes this.
  5. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Get one that operates on 12VDC and 110VAC. Isotherm is a good brand I see slot.
    Get a good marine brand. Believe it or not you will sell this boat someday. What you put in it will seriously effect resale value and how fast it will sell. If a buyer sees a Walmart/RV/POS it will speak volumes about your boat.

leaky likes this.
  6. leaky

leaky Captain

Cool thanks guys! Im going to shop a little but looks like for some unknown reason Worst Marine actually sells that isotherm unit at a competitive price and I can order it for store pickup with no shipping cost that way, without sales tax, and close by.

I can't think of any reason to run one on 110 because its a small intermittant load I want to leave on always and essentially I get 110 ability from a battery charger. So it makes a more straight forward design to keep items on the same power type, ie size the battery charger to keep up with all required 12 volt loads (ie on a basis of time so it keeps up over the course of the day) and keep my 110 loads in a range the generator can handle (including the battery charger). The nice thing about 12 volt items is the batteries smooth out spikes in draw that exceed capacity, where a generator can only momentarily.

7. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    I like the 110 option, had an Ac Dc fridge on the last boat.

Doesn’t make sense to continually work the batteries and charger over at the dock to keep beer and ketchup cold.

If you put a 110 dorm fridge in and pack the freezer with gel packs it will stay reasonably cold during the fishing day without power.

Still think AcDc option is best

jim and Toolate like this.
  8. leaky

leaky Captain

Thanks - I think I got past the "cheap fridge" idea fairly quick, definitely want one made for a moving vehicle that runs on 12 volt. It's funny though when I went investigating some things I found at least with one brand, Vitfrigo, they do not actually make different RV, truck, and marine models in some instances, it's the exact same model - and of course the truck places sell them cheaper by at least $100 :)..

But to me anyway looks like the Isotherm model is a good one from a few perspectives so am kinda sold on that and it is a marine fridge, good feedback here on it.

As far as 110 volt - that's a good perspective, depending on the draw and how often it makes the battery charger fire (may not be every fridge cycle on an 4D battery for instance), setting the charger off does trigger a sequence of events and arguably a little wear/tear, ie fridge fires up and auto charging relay turns off, battery charger kicks on, auto charging relay turns back on, eventually charger turns off... 30 minutes later maybe cycle repeats, all day :).. Now I don't know how many cycles you get out of these parts or how much charger cycling really decreases battery life (might be one of those things where components can take a zillion cycles and almost never fail for such reasons rather fail from salt air), but I can see the logic in that..

So unless I can see something different about the actual units that steers me away, I think I'll probably get the 12/110, it's like $60 difference, and I'll pull 110 feeds for it but may not hook them up - then if I feel my electrical system is too busy at the dock I can set it up so I flip the fridge over to 110 when the boat is not in use.. If I don't it's only a $60 difference on a ~$700 fridge.

Jon

El Mar likes this.
  9. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

I would hook up the 110 and just leave the breaker off.
    Are you installing a shore power receptacle?
    My point is if your ever pulling an over night dockside it would be nice to give the charger a break. Also redundancy never...almost never hurts.

10. leaky

leaky Captain

Yes it will have shorepower for the dock, gen switch to go back and forth, 110 breaker panel etc

11. leaky

leaky Captain

Ordered an isotherm cruise 49 elagance in 12/110, on sale at west marine, $648 shipping to store no additional charge. As always, thanks for your help guys!

12. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    check out Overtons they have a instant 15% off coupon on line. I bought a few things a month ago when they had a 30% off sale.

13. leaky

leaky Captain

Thanks for that - haven't looked at them in years, next time I'm shopping around for something will take a look at them.

steveinak likes this.
  14. TCL

TCL Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
    Something you might want to consider is a cooling fan for the compressor. I know my compressor gets pretty warm with little air flow in the cabinet.
    My Norcold sounds like a coffee grinder at times, not sure how much longer it will last.

TCL,
  15. leaky

leaky Captain

Im thinking I will vent the compartment the fridge is installed in, one vent like an engine vent that goes straight vertical and out on the outside of the cabin and one low, terminated outside on the deck. Hot air should rise and draw cooler air from outside.. basically so without a fan or heating up the cabin it can breath.

16. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    Why couldn’t you use a solar vent on the outside sidewall of the cabin to pull the hot air out of the refrigerator cabinet?

17. leaky

leaky Captain

I'm sure you could, but the air you are pulling out has to come from somewhere so you kinda need a duct to allow air in and the hot air rises anyway.

Granted boats are only sealed so well to begin with, but if you are running AC while a little fan is attempting to pull heat out of the refrigerator cabinet that has no duct to allow air in, you are going to be basically pulling warmer air from outside into the cabin one way or the other.

So I think anyway, duct to allow hot air up high with a lower duct to allow cooler air in is good.. Add a fan on either side helping to create the air flow is more complicated but sure it'd be good.. Either way though you ought to have a duct in and out, low and high.

18. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Leaky open a port supply account at west marine. Stuff is a lot cheaper.

leaky likes this.
  19. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Very true. Our parts guy swears by them.

20. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Leaky that is not necessary