fridge options?

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by leaky, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Genius

Genius Captain

Why is that Downrigga? isn't refrigeration about moving heat. Mine is boxed in, nowhere for the heat to go? it needs to go somewhere and the bigger delta the more efficient it is. I think natural ventilation is fine, no fan needed.

Rearmount likes this.
  2. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I agree natural ventilation is fine. Cut a 2 inch hole on the side wall into anogher cabinet and put a stainless screen over the hole to dress it up. You don't need the high low ventilation or a solar ventilation.

Genius likes this.
  3. leaky

leaky Captain

Yours works good? Ive got one off another guys business but it's not one of those mega accounts, barely does anything - like typically 5% off retail if that, nothing on sales.

I used to be able to use one of those high volume accounts and wow - sure some stuff was only 10% but a lot of it was 30% and a few items more than half off, ie like 70% off even day to day. They cracked down and now I gotta jump through hoops to use it :(

4. leaky

leaky Captain

Doesn't create enough heat to matter?

If so easiest thing would be to just not box it in at all, wouldnt it? For instance leave a couple inches of space around the unit, ie instead of flush mounting it - I think the one Ive got is designed to be mounted through the base if desired so the flange is optional.

The back of it is the only ugly spot, rest is shiny black, so if I made a 20 x 22 cubby hole with extra depth too, for my 16 x 18 unit?

Jon

5. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I like finishing boxes. You may be creating more work for yours3lf because now you have to finish all the edges. Mine is fully enclosed with 2 inch hole that vents into the tackle center. I also like the flange to give it a more finished look. The compressor has a fan so I don't think you have to worry to much about heat as long as you vent the box.

leaky likes this.
  6. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    The way it works is your discount rate is structured to how much you spend annually. Batteries for example are 50 % off. Some things are nothing off per manufacturers request but if your building a boat you can save a shit load of money.

7. leaky

leaky Captain

Mostly I try to avoid buying stuff there in the first place, they are just so outrageous on a lot of what they sell, but they have sales and certain things that cost a lot to ship and you dont find reasonably any other way at least west marine has free shipping to a store. Batteries might be in that ballpark, half off probably beats advanced auto where Id usually look first.

I tend to shop Hamilton, Jamestown, defender, and for purely online Amazon, ebay, walmart.com (seriously bought a common marine water heater that way, free shipping, return at the store if you dont like it for any reason - is not really from Walmart just uses their platform but anything you find that way is a no brainer).

8. StowIt

StowIt Senior Member

Real Estate; Retired Unlimited Mate and Engineer
    Boat Make:
    Dyer 29 Bass, Boston Whaler 17 Montauk, building 38 flowers
    I have been looking at the Isotherm CR-130 Drink, which is a 4.6 cu fridge only. I've had a lot of experience, on land, with mini fridges that have the tiny freezer and these freezers always ice up and need constant defrosting. The freezer is usually where these units fail when someone tries to defrost with an ice pick. I like the idea of having the fridge just not the problems that go along with the freezer part. What have guys with the small freezer experienced?

9. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I got away from the freezer too and installed the one you are looking at. Way more room inside.

10. leaky

leaky Captain

Hopefully you get some good feedback here - if not maybe try starting a new thread. If I had a bigger boat and was trying to outfit it to really live aboard I'd be looking at separate fridge & freezer. Those tiny freezer sections are good for very little.

Lots of options out there too - there are units that do both and/or look like a standard smaller sort of fridge/freezer with a door on the front.. There are drawer units, single or separate fridge and freezer.. There are top accessed units, both fridge & freezer.

Genius likes this.
  11. Henfruit

Henfruit Captain

Depends on which state I am in.
    Boat Make:
    Samson 30
    My iso has a tiny freezer. Makes ice for my drinks. We have in counter chest style works great when cruising.

12. Genius

Genius Captain

I'm surprised none of the sailboat type top loading units were discussed. I've seen separate chill units added to a ice box type unit. Not a bought unit but a fabricated/insulated well with a the evaporator coil added.

Diesel Jerry must have some pictures and opinions on these.

JimRP31 likes this.
  13. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    33 Flowers. 28 BHM for sale

Jon.
    You & I both use the same port supply.
    Certain things I do very well buying there on that account.

14. Pequod

Pequod Member

ABYC Master Technician
    Boat Make:
    Shamrock 246 Open
    The unit should already have a fan installed to move air across the condenser coils to assist in removing heat out of the refrigerant . A vent high in the cabinet will allow hot air to escape by natural convection.

Downrigga likes this.
  15. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    I have an NOVA Cool with a freezer. As I have mentioned in other threads, I also have a Solar Panel that keeps the batteries topped off and allows me to keep the fridge on 24/7. Last week in the hot weather the fridge ran so much the solar could not keep up. On Saturday the house battery was down to about 11.5. The fridge is mounted under the helm seat. The seathas about a dozen 2" holes for ventilation but the air did not move much at all. This week I installed a 10" X 5" Louvered Vent from West Marine. Just by adding the vent I can feel air moving across the back of the fridge. This should help it run less. I would recommend defrosting the fridge monthly, do not scrape it as that can damage the cold plate. I had to remove the fridge to install the vent. The fridge was mush quieter and ran less after defrost and reinstall with the new vent.