Fuel tank capacity recommendation for a DD453N in 23' soft chined hull

Cool Boat

Hello, the DD453N is set up for 140 HP and the cruising fuel burn was estimated by a kind forum member at around 4.5 GPH. The extremely heavy stainless steel diesel tank in the stern of the boat was 28 gallons. It was apparently made new for the boat prior to it sitting for a few decades. I'd like to get it out of the transom area and switch to a lighter centerline tank in front of the motor. None of the Moeller plastic centerline tanks would fit too well due to a nominal 22" clear dimension between the stringers. I could try to work in a cube shaped tank on centerline and work it into the cabin interior (40 gallon should fit OK), or maybe put a pair of saddle tanks on either side of the motor on this extremely narrow boat (7.5' beam). If we launched on the coast on a nice day, Ocean City MD to Baltimore Canyon is about 60 miles. The boat should cruise in mid to upper teens but seeing it on paper and proving it in sea trials are two different things so I'm figuring on nominal cruise of 15 kts. Most of the boat's normal use would be trolling or bottom fishing in the ocean or Chesapeake so fuel needs would be much less. For longer trips we could carry a couple of Jerry cans with an extra 10 gallons. Thank you in advance for your input. I note that I haven't recently been putting anything on the forum while waiting for our Roberts steel trawler to sell. After 3 years who would have thought that it would be transacted during a week with a nationwide health scare. Finally we can get the parts to finish this boat.

snowstorm

Boat Make
28 ellis
5 gal will be plenty. after listening to that detroit scream . the only way to quite it down is shut it off. a had several 671,s in trucks yrs ago. tuff and cheap to run. check the oil every time you use it.they use oil its just the way they are. if it has 5 psi for oil at idle thats fine. 40 to 50 wot use a straight 40 wt low ash oil. 15 40 will work but will live longer with 40. i alway put a oil pressure gauge in to the secondary fuel filter if you dont have 65psi at wot the filters need to be changed. and dont ever ever run it out of fuel. it has a gear transfer pump no hand pump and are a real bitich to get going again. put it to work do not baby it. should run 180 degrees cold and it will wet stack much over 200 some crack heads

Cool Boat

Yes sir, another Detroit lover! You've been there. On our trawler with the 671 we were towing another boat and ran out of fuel, and didn't have the prime pump on the system yet. Got it now. Working on the exhaust system design.....trying to quiet as much as possible. I wonder if anyone has tried the AcoustiBlok rubber sheeting? Will probably wear Setcom bluetooth headphones on longer runs too. Thank you

snowstorm

Boat Make
28 ellis
what ever you use for a tank dont forget the return. and make sure the restriction fitting is on the return from the head